Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Footballers attack citizen

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:47 pm
Post subject: Footballers attack citizenReply with quote

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20593372-661,00.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/nazi-hate-attack-probe/2006/10/17/1160850895893.html

The Media is in a feeding frenzy. This should not be tolerated. In saying that if it was a Muslim would we have the same media coverage? I doubt it.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

and it was the 'victim' who threw the first punch apparently.

Agreed, the rascist comment was uncalled for, but the violence was also uncalled for.

What does that teach his children? He complains of the comment levelled at him in front of his children, yet he was the one who started the physical assault.

Sticks and stones........it's ok to use violence.....

Disgusting from both sides of the incident.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:51 pm

How did you feel about that?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:42 pm

where did you hear that PP? It's not mentioned in either article.
Even if he did, I'm not condoning violence, or retaliation, but if you were provoked like that would you just meekly accept it and turn the other cheek? I would cos I'm scared of being beaten up but that's another story Wink

Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Disgusting, especially the bit with the nazis. As someone whose family was greatly affected by the Nazis, I find it grealty offensive.

I don't blame the guy for stopping the bus, people who do vile things like that should not be allowed a free pass.

I can recall a similar incident. I went to the Elsternwick Holocaust Memorial i went with my school. One of the ladies to give a talk was an Auschwitz survivor...I have never been more ashamed by a group of people than the way some of my fellow classmates behaved. One dickhead said straight after she told the heartwrenching story of watching her sister be shot for trying to escape. "Excuse me do you drive (as in car)". Never have I wanted to give someone a labotomy so much than that moment.
I do worry that some people in my generation do not appreciate their history and how bloody lucky they are growing up now.

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:30 am

David wrote:
where did you hear that PP? It's not mentioned in either article.
Even if he did, I'm not condoning violence, or retaliation, but if you were provoked like that would you just meekly accept it and turn the other cheek? I would cos I'm scared of being beaten up but that's another story Wink

Channel 9 News when they were interviewing him.

I think the whole thing was disgusting from BOTH sides.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 am

when you say that PP, you're basically saying that they were both just as bad as each other. Were the Jewish guy's actions disgusting? being racially abused, and retaliating? (and that's assuming that he did throw the first punch or whatever).
Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:47 am

I suppose say it another way, what if the man had said had said "jeez football's a stupid game" or "jeez your car sucks". I reckon for those wankers that would have been enough to start beating up on someone.

On a side note: Can anyone who is jewish (or knows a bit about the religion) tell me if Orthodox Jews play sport? I'm sorry for sounding ignorant, I just remember in 2000 that Joe Gutnick was not going to watch the Grand Final because it was on the Sabbath.

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:14 am

David wrote:
when you say that PP, you're basically saying that they were both just as bad as each other. Were the Jewish guy's actions disgusting? being racially abused, and retaliating? (and that's assuming that he did throw the first punch or whatever).

David I believe that both acts were as bad as each other. His complaint was that it was in front of his children, but what's he teaching his children by physically attacking these idiots in front of his kids.

And don't think for one minute that I have anything against Jewish people, I went out with a Jewish guy for 3 years (and let me tell you about Jewish mothers lol!)

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:26 am

More than 50 witnesses to interview and many versions of what transpired.

If it had been a Muslim man attacked we would not have the same outrage as we do now.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:23 am

Didaicos wrote:
On a side note: Can anyone who is jewish (or knows a bit about the religion) tell me if Orthodox Jews play sport? I'm sorry for sounding ignorant, I just remember in 2000 that Joe Gutnick was not going to watch the Grand Final because it was on the Sabbath.

well I'm not an expert on this, but I would suspect that they don't play sport (if it's on the Saturday anyway). Obviously, like with any religion, different people have different interpretations, but many Orthodox Jews don't even use electricity on the Sabbath, let alone play sport. You may also remember Gutnick got upset when Melbourne were going to draft the Jewish Ezra Poyas, specifically because he would have to play on Saturdays.

Having said that, I remember the story about a Jewish player who played with St. Kilda in 1966 who was faced with a dilemma cos the Grand Final fell on Yom Kippur. I take it by that that he was observing (otherwise why would it have been an issue?), yet he still didn't have a problem with playing on Saturday usually.

Culprit wrote:
If it had been a Muslim man attacked we would not have the same outrage as we do now.

I beg to differ Culprit. I think it would have had a similar reaction and I wonder if the views of some on this site might be different.
All the same, the media will jump on any story that they can beat up. To be honest, I'm not sure if this warranted media attention at all, but then again the Herald Sun is turning into a print version of A Current Affair.

TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Culprit wrote:

Culprit is correct, a few years ago David King(from North Melbourne) and a couple of his teammates beat up a kebab caravan owner.

I think recently Mamdouh Habib was stabbed or attacked or something whilst walking in his neighbourhood, again not much media coverage.

Unfortunately, as long as the Federal Government and media insist on their ill-conceived attempts to divide our community, these sorts of attacks are going to occur quite frequently.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:54 pm

David wrote:
Didaicos wrote:

well I'm not an expert on this, but I would suspect that they don't play sport (if it's on the Saturday anyway). Obviously, like with any religion, different people have different interpretations, but many Orthodox Jews don't even use electricity on the Sabbath, let alone play sport. You may also remember Gutnick got upset when Melbourne were going to draft the Jewish Ezra Poyas, specifically because he would have to play on Saturdays.

Having said that, I remember the story about a Jewish player who played with St. Kilda in 1966 who was faced with a dilemma cos the Grand Final fell on Yom Kippur. I take it by that that he was observing (otherwise why would it have been an issue?), yet he still didn't have a problem with playing on Saturday usually.

Culprit wrote:

I beg to differ Culprit. I think it would have had a similar reaction and I wonder if the views of some on this site might be different.
All the same, the media will jump on any story that they can beat up. To be honest, I'm not sure if this warranted media attention at all, but then again the Herald Sun is turning into a print version of A Current Affair.

have a look somewhere on www.news.com.au where the 'victim' in this incident gives an interview on his sports playing days. Seems he may have played on the Sabbath.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: