Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tasmanian Bushfires

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:30 pm
Post subject: Tasmanian BushfiresReply with quote

There are currently a few blazes on the Eastern Shore of Tasmania there's a blaze at Lindisfarne, Geilston Bay and Warrane, which is where I currently live. No idea where it started but at about 11am I smelt smoke looked out and there was a bushfire in the North of Warrane.

For the last 4 hours most residents of Warrane, Geilston Bay, Lindisfarne, and possibly Risden Vale were without power. Only about 5 or so minutes ago power was restored to Warrane at least.

High winds haven't helped the firemen with their efforts in controlling the blaze, at one point it looked as if they had lost it and it was going to start to come towards where I live.

The worst part of the fire here was down in Bounty Street, near North Warrane Oval, where my uncle and aunt live, we drove down there and stayed down there for an hour protecting their home from the fires that were just over the hill.

At this stage there has been no report of any casualities and no one has been reported injured, sadly though there might have been a few houses lost around the area, all the roads were closed off around, even the bridge was closed off from traffic.

It was scary watching all these little spot fires starting to flare up, at one stage it was looking as if it was going to make it's way further then it has, luckily for now it's being almost contained at the moment.

First time I'd ever been so close, we were watching the firetrucks racing down the highway and into where the Oval is, as well as the choppers flying over head, the smoke was too thick for them to get anywhere near the fires to waterbomb them and it's been hard for the firemen to get into some areas where the fire was.

There is yet to be any word on if they were deliberately lit or not, haven't been able to see the news, so I haven't been able to see if there was anymore damage then some trees, where one fire was headed which was along the highway there were some houses, the worry was it jumping the highway and heading down towards the Airport in Sorell.

So they closed off the roads to Sorell, and the roads leading into North Warrane, and other parts of Warrane/Mornington.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty unnerving out there Davage. Here's hoping they sort it out for all concerned.
Desperately need some rain here, can't remember it ever being this bad.
How's the water situation in Tassie?

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:07 pm

Water hasn't been a problem down here, there should be a lot of rain next week with the show on, which is the annual show weather.

It was reported on the news apparently the fire was started by arsonists which is they decided to start a fire in an area that has been VERY dry, and is rather hard to get to.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:14 pm

Well lets hope the bastards get caught and they receive as much public outrage than the person who burned a flag Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: