Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Footy groupies....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:33 am
Post subject: Footy groupies....Reply with quote

Now I haven't read much of the Eddie topic so I'm not having a go at any people in that thread.

I remember reading a piece in the Sunday Age about footy groupies. A very interesting read and some disturbing reports came out of it.

It recently surfaced with the Greg Stafford stalker and it highlighted the disturbing lengths that these girls go to. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes on at Collingwood.

It's good to show passion for your favorite players (Go Stunner!!!) but isn't it over the top the attention that is directed to them by girls?

The poster formerly known as Rohan Coventry Tateson

[This message has been edited by Rohan (edited 26 November 2002).]

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very careful using the word 'groupie'.

There is a big difference in thinking a certain player is cute, gorgeous and adoring them - to chasing them in a quest for sex.

Each to their own but 'devoted fan' is more applicable I think.

I adored Craig Kelly when I was younger (and he is still my fave Collingwood player) and my friends at school and I all had our favourite players. There is a big difference between this and the latter. I have met an Essendon 'groupie' whose quest was to simply go after these players as a challenge/achievement in a purely sexual sense and I think it is this that is more of a worry. Just as there is a big difference between the girls who scream after certain rock stars etc to the ones who actually end up in the hotel rooms.

At the same time though - these players are classed now as celebrities - can they really be called 'just footballers' when there is merchandise filling the stores, half-naked calenders of them and they are dress up and dance on the footy show etc?

They as players, would have to expect adulation and I think that what we see on bulletin boards etc is just that.

How can attention be 'over the top' if there are players that are posing half-naked etc? It seems like two different sets of rules.

Again, I think there is a big difference between being a 'fan' and running on a footy ground and 'stalking'.

Jen

--
Floreat Pica
BRING BACK NED!
Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:05 am

Rohan, dangerous to generalise in situatins like these mate.

I see where you're comming from and I think we all agree that the Greg Stafford stalker is totally wrong and quite scary when you think about it, but I think that she is probably the exception rather than the rule.

I see nothing wrong with girls or anyone for that matter "luving" a certain player and asking for autographs etc, I doubt there'd be many that cross the line that is stalking, although they may joke about it.

wether they like it or not they're going to get superstar status and superstar attention, and as long as it stays behind the fence and at training etc I reckon most of them would see the benefit for the club and the sport.

But that greg stafford stalker - that worried me a bit, imagine that, very scary!!

- Ben

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:17 am

big footy's down for maintenance, eh rohan

I think fan obsession, male or female, can be very dangerous. it is one thing to adore a sporting idol, it is another thing to stalk and harass them. incidents like the greg stafford case, and what happened to ian thorpe, were relatively harmless. however, we have seen with monica seles the consequences of how obsession can lead to dire consequences. not just in sport, but in other cases, i.e. john lennon, gianni versace...

prominent sport stars are constantly in the public eye, and thus should expect that their privacy would be impinged upon, and that adulating fans would demand their attention. however, they do not deserve to be stalked or harassed.

on the other hand, fans have to right to "worship" their idols. a person who has posters of stars plastered all over their walls is not necessarily a stalker. IMO a stalker has something wrong in their head in the first place.

as for "groupies", well, people can do what they like within the law, but this term does not hold any positive connotations with me. it saddens me that some people will only sleep with footballers, despite what these footballers are actually like in real life. case in point is gary ablett. a young girl, obviously smitten with ablett, went on an alcohol and drug bender that led to the end of her life.

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:17 am

Well said everybody!

I think the groupies who are in fact stalkers are the scary ones - not the young girls who innocently say they 'luv' all and sundry. And these two groups are certainly worlds apart!

As everyone knows, I love Nath - but not to the point of stalking him (or even meeting him in fact! I'm content to adore from afar). Does this make me a groupie? I think not!

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:43 am

Junkboy - I was going to say the exact same thing.

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:48 am

not bigfooty being down would be a problem for rohan, seeing as he was leaving and all...

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:36 pm

Rohan i think this kind of post is another opportunity for everyone to cut sick at each other which i could do rught now but i wont bother cos im sooooo over all the arguing.

Its TOTALLY duiffernt to love a fave player, want photos with them, autographs, their number on your back etc etc to actually following them around and I beleive none of us 'girls' on Nicks r like that and if u think we are, well im sad for you.

This kinda post is wayyyyy to controversial. I know i will continue 'loving' Chrissy Tarrant, having photos with him and going to training to chat to him and the others. But im certianly not a stalker and none of my mates are either. Groupies, fans and stalkers are entirely different things!!!!

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:32 pm

Oh dear how awful it must be to have girls "stalking" you! the poor things.
But girls wanting to screw footballers? now that is shockingly immoral, there should be a law that such girls are forced to go to Sunday school for a year or so - after all we all know sex is a sinful dirty thing that is only redeemed by marriage or socially acceptable love, right?

MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:14 am

LOL

Bokka u crack me up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Murray 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:00 am

Good topic Rohan, like most of the topics you come up with.
I follow your posts intently on Big Footy, you have tha knack for generating discussion - well done

As to the topic.
Like some of the others, I think there needs to be a clear distinction made between stalking/harrassment and the "school girl" like crushes some girls have for their football "hero's".
One is dangerous and could lead to harm while the other is the normal process of growing up.
I suspect some players do get annoyed at the constant attention from girls, while others (and probably the vast majority) enjoy it.

DISCLAIMER - If any of my posts are in oposition to the views of Mike or any of the other Mods then my posts are to be totally ignored.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:09 am

Reminded me of a joke i heard once...

You're allowed to love animals, just not, LOVE, animals

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:35 pm

-

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 01 December 2002).]

MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:25 am

Good call Tess. If the over 18 ones who go after the players are prepared to loose their selfrespect and dignity and be treated as an object and they are happy to live with that, well good luck to them. I lovew our players but im not prepared to do that which is why ill only ever be a fan!

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:40 am

Is this about groupies or stalkers? Hmmm......don't start me!!

Colours are an illusion. There is only black and white.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: