Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

player payments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed from WA Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:10 am
Post subject: player paymentsReply with quote

I know that some tennis and golf and basketballers and soccer stars earn squillions.
But not in Australia they dont.
they have to go overseas to get it.
the way i look at it,there are 650 or so players in the AFL at any one time.
half of those would earn at least 100 grand a year.
so in fact the 300th on the money list earns 100000 a year.
In golf in Australia 300th on the money list earns about $5.
In tennis in Australia 300th on the money list earns about $2.50.
very few basketball or soccer or rugby players earn over 100 grand,there are of course a few exceptions but it doesnt go down to 300th on the list.
Maybe the 300th jockey on the money list could earn 100 grand,but i doubt it.
For a jockey to earn that much would mean 3 losing ride fees every day of the year,those that ride winners would need less rides to attain that figure.
using this guide it shows me that players that dont perform in the AFL are way over paid.
what do you think?

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that player payments are actually higher. I think the average player is payed over $120,000 (off the top of my head). I think players are beginning to ask to much of the game. If clubs could afford to pay players alot then thety would, but this simply cannot happen at the present time.

It is about time everybody woke up to themselves, particularly the AFLPA, and realise that they will kill off the game if they keep on asking for more and more and more. Things must change.

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:56 am

I agree, and posted something similar a week or so ago.

I don't agree that a 12 year old kid chooses to play soccer instead of football because of the money involved when he's 18 or 25.

I don't believe someone raised playing AFL themselves would change to following the NSL, NRL or premier league because there is more money in it. A 12 year old is heavily influenced by their parents rightly or wrongly. If your dad watches Collingwood you generally won't get much TV access to Newcastle Utd, Melbourne Storm or the Wallabies for that matter. When your dad refers to the other codes as bumsniffers and wooses that effects your view of being one too.

Compared to AFL soccer is a very limited rush, sometimes only one crowd orgasm a game, sometimes none. AFL has the opportunity for many crowd orgasms - crunching tackles, holding the ball, long goals, rupe rupe rupe & R-o-c-c-aaaaaa and all that. Rugby is a little better than the round ball but the physical result of playing the game is nasty. Bullnecks, flat nose and no-ears.

As i said one other time, i think AFL salaries will halve within 5 years. Like the computer revolution - bust follows boom. You might say what about the cricketers, warney & mcgrath earn 500,000 - fine - but there are only 25 or 30 contracted ACB cricketers, not even football team, and they attract support from the whole of australia not a small pocket of rednecks like port power for instance .

Agreed about the AFLPA, do they realise 2 clubs or 76 of their members maybe be playing vfl, sanfl, wafl, qafl or vcfl within those 5 years because of the money problems in our game.

I think player salaries will be like petrol prices, once the AFL starts dropping theirs, everyone else, espec NRL will follow. Hell, the banks make profits by giving the customers, their players, as little as they can. The same sort of money managers are now getting AFL positions. Watch it happen.

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:02 am

very well put cam. cant get the image of a 'crowd-orgasm' out of my head though.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:05 am

keep it in your pants ram. keep it ...

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: