Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What Mick Said About Our Trades

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:45 am
Post subject: What Mick Said About Our TradesReply with quote

HeraldSun 29th/10/2002;

Nick off, says Mick
29 October 2002 Herald Sun
By MICHAEL GLEESON

COLLINGWOOD let Nick Davis go and delivered a backhander as he went.

The Magpies were angry to lose the talented Davis home to Sydney, particularly for the relatively poor return of a second-round draft pick (23).

Collingwood finally gave in and agreed to trade the New South Wales-born and bred player home or risk losing him for nothing if he went into the pre-season draft.

Coach Mick Malthouse took a swipe at Davis yesterday saying the club only wanted players of good character.

"We are disappointed that Nick Davis is gone but we have said before we only want good people at this football club," Malthouse said.

"And those that didn't want to be here, those that gave little back to what we were trying to do . . . We bent over backwards for these type of players and we got little back so we feel justified in letting him go.

"But we move ahead because we have two young players that want to be here in Shane Woewodin and Andrew Williams."

Davis kicked 85 goals in 71 games over four seasons at Collingwood.

His father, Craig, a former Collingwood and Sydney full-forward, is now involved in developing NSW football.

"This is where I grew up, I've got friends and family up here and also it was the team I barracked for as a kid, that's probably the main reason to come back," Davis said.

"Also it's a good challenge to come back up here and try and prove myself again.

"I had a few doubters last year and it will be good to knock them on the head straight away."

Although disappointed at losing Davis for a second round pick the Pies were chuffed at pulling off a massive deal claiming Woewodin from Melbourne.

The 2000 Brownlow Medallist was fuming at his treatment by Melbourne and resigned himself to the fact he would no longer be at the club.

"We are delighted under the circumstances and the way things worked out that we were able to negotiate and secure what I believe to be a very good footballer," Malthouse said.

"He (Woewodin) was very angry about the circumstances, but I spoke to him and said, 'If you let anger get in the road of the decision-making process that will see you at another club, you are going to miss out'.

"He was able to draw away from that and think about what it was and realised that we gave him an opportunity for another challenge for his life.

"He has had a huge challenge when you think about the start of his career when he was rejected then got picked up and now this becomes probably the biggest challenge away from that first challenge."

Malthouse said the 26-year-old was a versatile player who would add pace, polish and depth not just to the midfield but across all lines of the team.

Collingwood also swapped pacy young midfielder Damien Adkins for solid, hard-running West Coast midfielder/flanker Andrew Williams.

"Andrew Williams I have coached and I believe he is a very likeable person and is another bloke that has got great character.

"The simple fact is this we have chased two blokes that have got good character.

"We are disappointed to lose Damien Adkins, who is a lovely young fellow but he has got a good opportunity to play good football in the west as an on-top-of-the-ground player."

with AAP

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't think that there is something pretty damn special happening with our team at the moment after reading that, and our performance this year, you would have to be delusional.

I don't know how to describe it but it is going a lot further than performance on the ground. Geez I love Collingwood!

Jen

--
Floreat Pica
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:52 am

Don't you just love the way Mick Presented his plan for Woewodin. I am looking forward to Woewodin becoming an absolute star again under MM.....

Cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:02 am

I said on another post yesterday that I thought MM had gone after Williams because he may have coached him in the West.
MM has a habit of remembering good coachable footballers. He said at an AGM two years ago how happy he was to get Clement for those reasons.
Woewodin will be an excellent pick up and I think MM is looking forward to coaching him too.

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:05 am

hey muz wasn't clem a docker & not a weagle

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:13 am

Yeah Cam, he was. I was making the point that MM thought he would be coachable. I had a little bit of verb confusion and poor sentence structure. Good pick up - did I read on one of these posts that you are a School Teacher. Its working mate.

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:27 am

sorry mate i can be a bastard like that sometimes you are right of course mick mentioned how being over in the west he had had a good look at clement.

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:17 pm

Davis not committed,GOODBYE!!!!! DONT WANT YOU !!!!

haiku bob 

haiku bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:33 pm

Mick's manner of speech is often convoluted, and takes a bit of deciphering. But, I think I'm on his wavelength now.
He's spot on about Nick. No character. Just an egoistic, needy little man.

But what in hell is an "on-top-of-the-ground" player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: