Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Can you imagine....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood supporters just don't sing.

That's all there is to it.

Look at how difficult it is to get the crowd to do the slow "Coll-ing-wooooooo-ooood" chant. Even on a good day it's only a few hundred that do it. The rest of the crowd just sits there like stale bottles of piss. Always have. Always will.

Even "Good Old Collingwood Forever" gets a half-hearted response more often than not.

Let's face it ... we're an uptight, introverted bunch of people ... too scared to say boo to a goose.

Sydney supporters sing. They are the most soccer-like crowds in the AFL.

Freo supporters sing ... but their repertoire is very limited.

Brisbane supporters have got their "Lions" chant that they stole from the British rugby crowds

Generally speaking, however, communal singing has never been a feature of Australian Rules football. Especially in Melbourne, where culture comes in a bag with "Four N Twenty" written on it.

The British are just so much better at this sort of thing. "Abide With Me", for some reason, has special significance at the FA Cup Final. It's got nothing to do with Collingwood F.C.

When I was in the cheer squad I had visions of transforming Collingwood crowds into a pulsating mass of swirling sound ... 90,000 unified voices ... with me as the conductor ... then I woke up and realised I was dreaming.

Now I just watch the football.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:35 am

Dr Alf Andrews wrote:
Generally speaking, however, communal singing has never been a feature of Australian Rules football. Especially in Melbourne, where culture comes in a bag with "Four N Twenty" written on it.

Are you serious? I only go to Melbourne once or twice a year but you can actually feel the culture down there. Admittedly my only points of reference are Canberra (boring land) and Sydney, but Melbourne is far superior.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Maybe we nee a co-ordinated effort to get good old collingwood forever going at a game. If we had someone sms to a group of dudes in different areas who get up and start singing. We could hand out leaflets to collingwood supporters before the game to get the word out.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:08 pm

David from Canberra wrote:
Dr Alf Andrews wrote:

Are you serious? I only go to Melbourne once or twice a year but you can actually feel the culture down there. Admittedly my only points of reference are Canberra (boring land) and Sydney, but Melbourne is far superior.

Yeah, well ... "culture" is one of those words that's open to interpretation. I was talking mainly about footy culture ... the culture of the terraces, as it were.

But in regard to all that other stuff that is called "culture", Melbourne's superiority is a bit of an urban myth, I reckon ... For example Melbourne likes to brag that it's the music capital of Australia, but what you've got is 500 bands playing 500 gigs in crappy pubs every night to audiences of 3. Lots of derivative rubbish. Try anything out of the ordinary and you won't get a gig. A successful band is one that has 40 mates who drink a lot of piss.

Melbourne is the Wannabe Capital of the World.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:12 pm

Do you like to brag that it's the music capital of Australia but what you've got is 500 bands playing 500 gigs in crappy pubs every night to audiences of 3 too?
Syd_Magpies_Girl 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:09 pm

Someone mentioned being crapola for chanting at games - that is such a load. At the Sydney match, we outcheered over 40 thousand Sydney fans! You could even hear Collingwood chanting louder on the TV than Sydney! I will say though, at the Richmond match and Crows match, many supporters were VERY p*ss poor when it came to even singing the club song. I felt like there wasn't much pride around me at all.

What is the G.O people!?

Robert Walls (not really) 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:21 pm

The only chant that mattered was the GOCFE in the last 10 minutes of the 1990 Grand Final.
Syd_Magpies_Girl 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:25 pm

Dr Alf Andrews wrote:
David from Canberra wrote:
Dr Alf Andrews wrote:

Yeah, well ... "culture" is one of those words that's open to interpretation. I was talking mainly about footy culture ... the culture of the terraces, as it were.

But in regard to all that other stuff that is called "culture", Melbourne's superiority is a bit of an urban myth, I reckon ... For example Melbourne likes to brag that it's the music capital of Australia, but what you've got is 500 bands playing 500 gigs in crappy pubs every night to audiences of 3. Lots of derivative rubbish. Try anything out of the ordinary and you won't get a gig. A successful band is one that has 40 mates who drink a lot of piss.

Melbourne is the Wannabe Capital of the World.

Go live in Sydney, for 10 years and you will see the difference. The only culture Sydney has is stuck up snobs driving porche's with their dog pookie sitting their with their bottle of Moet at the footy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: