Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Luke Toia and Andrew Shipp

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pie In The Face 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:29 am
Post subject: Luke Toia and Andrew ShippReply with quote

Luke Toia wants a move to Carlton or Collingwood, citing a lack of opportunities at Fremantle. From what he says in this Age article, Connolly has told him he's playing well in the WAFL, but there are others ahead of him in the queue. Whilst this may be overly simplistic, it sounds to me like Connolly just doesn't think he's good enough at the moment.

I've hardly seen him play... Has anyone seen him on more than the odd occassion, and if so, what do you think of him, bad run of injuries aside? Ditto for this bloke Shipp. They'd want a half-decent player in return and I don't know who we would offer. Kinnear?

Here's the piece:

Toia looks to Victorian home
By Craig O'Donoghue
October 08 2002

Courageous Fremantle rover Luke Toia wants to play for a Victorian club.

The 24-year-old, who has suffered a horrible run of injuries since his debut in 1996, managed only one senior game this year, despite enjoying a stellar season in the WAFL.

Toia's manager, Flying Start's Wayne Loxley, said a lack of opportunity had led to both parties deciding a trade was the best option for his football career.

"We're looking at him to be traded and so is the club. He can't get a run with Fremantle at the moment," Loxley said.

Toia recently met with Fremantle coach Chris Connolly and the pair agreed he would get more opportunities at another club.

"I really appreciated his honesty," Toia said. "I'm still contracted, so if a trade can't be done, I'll happily stay at Fremantle.

"But he told me that my form had been good at Subiaco and the only reason I didn't play more games was because they've put other players ahead of me in the queue.

"If we can organise a trade, it will be a win-win for everyone. It'll free up some room in the salary cap for the club and it will give me an opportunity to play AFL footy."

Toia said there had been opportunities for him to leave in the past but he had wanted to stay at Fremantle. "Things have changed a bit now and with the group the way it is, it's probably an ideal time for me to leave."

He maintained there was no malice in his decision. "It' s just that a change of environment will help me because I still think I can play AFL football."

Toia played 13 home-and-away games and one final for Subiaco this season, polling 20 Sandover Medal votes, finishing fifth in the best and fairest and winning the club's goalkicking award.

His stellar WAFL season was achieved despite breaking his neck in a marking contest midway through the 2001 season.

"I would have happily taken the season I just had if you'd offered it to me at the start of the season," he said.

"Getting back from the injury was the main thing for me because there were question marks over whether my body could handle it after breaking my neck."

Toia is prepared to play for any club, but said his preference was with either Carlton or Collingwood.

"I'd love to be coached by Denis Pagan or Mick Malthouse. It'd be great to play for either of those clubs. But really, I just want to play for a club that will give me a game. I just want a go."

Out-of-contract Dockers utility Andrew Shipp has attracted interest from several clubs, according to his manager Gordon Hill.

The 23-year-old has played 35 games since moving to Western Australia from Victoria in 1999.

Hill said while Shipp's first preference was to remain a Docker, he was desperate to continue his AFL career.

"There has been some interest in him from several clubs," Hill said. "He'd go to any club because he wants to play AFL football.

"He's a really good kid with a stable life. He does as he's asked by his club and is very coachable."

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich."

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for real or a joke ??

Why would we want a sinking shipp or another knee victim ??

Lets be generous and give Carlton first crack at these "Prized recruits"

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:02 am

NO THANKS!!!!!

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:15 am

neither of those guys fit into our seniors team, it'll be Carlton or noone for those two, think of whos possy they'll be taking, then ask yourself, are they really good enough?

and in the words of JFK "the answer, (pause) is no."

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:31 am

Toia broke his neck too didnt he, at the start of 2001?

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:43 am

If Freo will take Dimma and a bag of spuds for both of them it is probably not such a bad deal

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:51 am

I reckon MM will give Toia a look. I do not know much about Shipp.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:54 am

You gotta have a second look at someone who shakes of a broken neck. But he has had plenty of knee troubles too. MM would have seen enough of him in the west to decide if we need him.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:57 am

I think Shipp played with Springvale and was drafted a couple of years ago. A forward flanker.

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Rinnovator Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:49 am

I work for the Perth Footbll Club in the WAFL where Andrew Shipp has dominated for us off half back, and has also been very handy when he has gone forward, kicking goals. He is a great player and was close to one of our fairest and bests for the season. He got named as one of Freo's emergencies on a number of occasions this year but didn't manage to crack a game at AFL level.
I don't know if he would benefit my beloved magpies, but on the other hand, we have got worse (Murray that dimma deal cracked me up!!)
As for Toia, you can't knock this guy's courage. Has also had a stellar season in the WAFL but I don't think he has anything to offer the CFC, maybe some other club wil have him1

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:50 am

Geez Rinnovator, you are a Magpie fan working for a Perth club? Hope you keep your head down.
Must be pure hell.
Thanks for the info and hope you can keep us updated about future talent from the WAFL.

-Craig

blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:03 pm

Shipp played for Springvale, and was quite impressive, but this was in the VFA mind you, and the VFA before the amalgamation with the AFL reserves at that. Few players from there succesfully make the grade at AFL level if they at all get there. This is the place some retired or retrenched AFL players, (e.g. Adrain Fletcher, Josh Mahoney, Chad Liddel) and unsuccesful Victorian draft hopes go to, especially Preston which had a lot of players from the Northern Knights U18's.

David King is the easily the most succesful of those taking the step up, and having seen him in action on TV when he played for Port Melbourne his playing style hasn't changed much. Paul Dooley tried but failed to break through, and Andrew Shipp would be most handy on a forward flank, and not really much else, though I haven't seen him play for a while so I wouldn't know now. His main problem, like pretty much all VFA midfielders, was in accurate disposal, and even David King had this problem too early on in his Roos career. Do we need him or should we try to get him? I don' think so.

“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Sherlock Holmes
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:34 pm

toia sounds like olaranshaw the second. i think we can do without both of them.

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
PiesPremiers 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:07 pm

I'd consider both.
Toia's got alot of heart, and its not like hes going to cost us alot. Might be used as an impact player off the bench. Wouldnt it be good to have an impact player at Collingwood that can actually have an impact more than twice a season?
Fremalte supporters love Toia.

Dan

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:43 am

we have too many players of toia and shipp's qualities already. small to medium midfield/half forward flankers arent needed regardless if nicky d goes. we need a ruckman. lukey toia has guts galore but unless he grows 4 foot over summer, no thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: