Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The homosexual question

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:11 am
Post subject: Re: The homosexual questionReply with quote

aceofstace wrote:
With it becoming more and more politically correct to tolerate homosexuality let me offer up a different point of view to the tired religious right or tree hugging left standards.
If we look to nature it is obvious that a man woman combination is the only one that produces offspring and therefore is the only valid option for the propogation of the species... right?
Well perhaps not, studies have shown that when laboratory rats are crowded into smaller and smaller living spaces the rate of homosexuality and violence goes up, it seems homosexuality is a safety valve for population control when resources or space is at a premium. While it is too risky for evolution to shut down the sex drive completely, it seems to have found a compromise that ensures the numbers are kept in check.
Now I know this is not going to appeal to gays or non gays but it appears that homosexuality does serve a purpose, albeit a less romantic one than the gays would prefer and less palatable to the morally outraged who point to the bible

Men in prison will go with another man, ask them if they are homosexual they will say no.
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:44 pm

Culprit wrote:

Men in prison will go with another man, ask them if they are homosexual they will say no.

And how much space is there in a prison cell? Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy you're amused.
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:46 pm

Tess wrote:

Ace, I know a few Ex Crims these days, I can arrange a meeting for you to ask the said question.

Tess has been out social climbing again Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Culprit wrote:
aceofstace wrote:
With it becoming more and more politically correct to tolerate homosexuality let me offer up a different point of view to the tired religious right or tree hugging left standards.
If we look to nature it is obvious that a man woman combination is the only one that produces offspring and therefore is the only valid option for the propogation of the species... right?
Well perhaps not, studies have shown that when laboratory rats are crowded into smaller and smaller living spaces the rate of homosexuality and violence goes up, it seems homosexuality is a safety valve for population control when resources or space is at a premium. While it is too risky for evolution to shut down the sex drive completely, it seems to have found a compromise that ensures the numbers are kept in check.
Now I know this is not going to appeal to gays or non gays but it appears that homosexuality does serve a purpose, albeit a less romantic one than the gays would prefer and less palatable to the morally outraged who point to the bible

Of course they're not. Damn what a topic, it's gone from gay - nature vs nuture to querying religion and back again.

The male of the species generally has the overwhelming desire to shaft anything that will hold still long enough. That's the procreation instinct hardwired.

True Homosexuality in males is a matter of sexual preference and is an accident of nature. The guys can't choose to be attracted to chicks, that's the way they are wired.

As far as the prison routine, that's a combination of sexual relief and a power trip. For centuries, rape and sodomy were a spoil of war. It wasn't about having a relationship it was about sexual relief and showing dominance over the other party . You stick a bunch of straight blokes in one room for long enough (like 2 years or more)and the alpha males will start pumping the beta males with a few bitch slaps thown in for good measure.

The whole bit about the rats in the cage remind me of the story I read somewhere about how a female elephant was trapped in mud unable to get out and the male elephants last resort after trying to help her get out was to mount her as if the act of procreation could somehow hold back impending death.

wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:23 pm

I know a hysterical joke about a mouse and an elephant
Nutmeg Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:56 pm

Given that it appears this thread has eventually come full circle, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the Kinsey scale of hetero/homo-sexuality? I remember reading a bit about it a few years ago, something along the lines of their being degrees of sexuality - most people aren't 'strictly' hetero or 'strictly' homo. If my memory serves me correctly, 0 is strictly hetero with no homo tendencies, and 6 is strictly homo with no hetero tendencies.

Just done a google search and came up with this - it's from wikipedia, but the sources for the info are Kinsey's two books "Sexual Behaviour in the human male" and "Sexual behaviour in the human female" published in 1948 and 1953 respectively.
Obviously this research can't be quoted as gospel (I am not a fundamentalist) but I thought it gave an interesting perspective.

The reports found that nearly 46% of the male population had engaged in both heterosexual and homosexual activities, or "reacted to" persons of both sexes, in the course of their adult lives.[1]. 11.6% of white males (ages 20-35) were given a rating of 3 (about equal heterosexual and homosexual experience/response) throughout their adult lives.[2] The study also reported that 10% of American males surveyed were "more or less exclusively homosexual for at least three years between the ages of 16 and 55"[3] (in the 5 to 6 range).

7% of single females (ages 20-35) and 4% of previously married females (ages 20-35) were given a rating of 3 (about equal heterosexual and homosexual experience/response) on the 7-point Kinsey Heterosexual-Homosexual Rating Scale for this period of their lives.[4] 2 to 6% of females, aged 20-35, were more or less exclusively homosexual in experience/response.[5]
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_Reports

It also explains how sexuality is a fluid thing and changes over time

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:19 pm

Kinsey was a sick puppy. You should read some of the stuff he said about sex with children. Not right in the head that one.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:14 am

I've also heard that he performed disturbing experiments on children. Hardly the hero that some see him as.

I don't know if this is true, but I've always believed that there is no such thing as "gay", "straight" or "bi"... we're all just placed somewhere along a scale... which I guess is somewhat similar to this Kinsey Scale.

Nutmeg Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:24 pm

A lot of the criticism of his methods was about supposed experiments he performed on children, or had child-abusers perform, but there was little evidence for this. Apparently the data he had collected about child sex experience and orgasms etc. was anecdotal from people recounting their childhood.

In terms of the stats, another bloke (can't remember his name) who had questioned Kinsey's sample did the surveys etc. with a completely different sample that he felt more accurately represented the population, and came up with startling similar results (no more than 1% difference).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: