Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Darryl White gets 5 match suspension in the NTFL

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:42 pm
Post subject: Darryl White gets 5 match suspension in the NTFLReply with quote

Quote:
White cops 5
By GREY MORRIS
30dec05

BRISBANE premiership player Darryl White is still eligible to captain the NTFL representative side against North Adelaide next year despite copping a five-match suspension at the NTFL tribunal last night.

White was penalised for a third quarter incident when he used abusive, insulting, threatening and obscene language towards field umpire Greg Ostler in Tuesday's match against Waratahs. But he denied Ostler's claim White called him a white c..., saying the term he used was right c...

Ostler said he was "pretty upset" after the incident, saying White also said "I know where you work c..., you work at the post office c..."
White conceded it had been "30 seconds of madness" and a lot of frustration at umpiring decisions that drove him to use the bad language.

But he denied making any physical or racial threat towards Ostler and even made it a point to apologise at the start of the last quarter.

Tribunal commissioner Tom Anderson accepted Ostler's version of white c..., but said the term was traditionally used to describe umpires and would not be used in deciding a penalty.

But Anderson said the number of obscenities used and the threat they carried for Ostler were of great concern.

White said outside the tribunal that he would cop the penalty on the chin because umpires were there to do a job.

But he can see some big flaws in the zero tolerance policy being used to report players.

"The system the umpires have got is not the best because it doesn't give players passionate about the game a chance to express their feelings," White said.

"Do we have to express ourselves with a spectacular mark or great goal all the time?

"Sometimes we've got to make a hard tackle or a hard bump and you do get frustrated when things go against you out there.

"Maybe some of the umpires should come out and get a bump and see if they can still run around for four quarters."

NT News - Friday 30 December

Its traditional to call an umpire a white c... Ill remember that next time a security guard tries to evict me from the G for saying that hahaha!!!

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Having once lived in Darwin, and played footy up there, this is nothing new. Whitey has just been made an example of due to who he is.

I remember several years ago that he was charged with a similar offence, and copped a similar suspension, when he spent an AFL pre-season up there and was running the water during a game.

There is a history of the NTFL scapegoating former AFL players who return to play. Funnily enough, those who are not locals that play up there, for example, Rupe and Heath Culpitt, get a pretty easy run from the umpires.

Hooked
DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:58 pm

Indeed it is very different up there, with all sorts of names being used to describe people, things which we wouldnt say down here. Im sure you can think of the terms.

Its just funny to read how different things are up there. If something like that was said in the AFL or even the Sydney competition then it would be news!

2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:11 pm

Not racist???!!!! Yeah, right. (or is that "white"?)

Put the shoe on the other foot and call Darryl White a black c*** and just wait for the outcry.

Ah, racism...one day it will be a two way street !!
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:19 pm

2 PIES IN CAIRNS wrote:

Put the shoe on the other foot and call Darryl White a black c*** and just wait for the outcry.

totally agree......it appears it's only rascist if it's in relation to any other ethnicity other than white. And my comment there IS NOT rascist.

I remember when i lived in the Territory, every job application was 'Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders are urged to apply', which translated as don't bother applying if you aren't. Alice Springs was very rascist.......against white people.

2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:40 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
'Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders are urged to apply'

Nothing has changed ,Jacqui. Those employment ads still appear up here these days. We're told it's because they're "disadvantaged" !!!

I'd like to tell you what I and many others up this way really think....but that would be racist !! Hmm, that reminds me... I haven't been called a white c*** for about 15 hours now. Suppose I should get out more often.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:45 am

You'd think someone like Daryl White would know better. He only has himself to blame.

Dale, who else from AFL ranks has played up there?
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:48 am

Proud Pies wrote:
2 PIES IN CAIRNS wrote:

totally agree......it appears it's only rascist if it's in relation to any other ethnicity other than white. And my comment there IS NOT rascist.

I remember when i lived in the Territory, every job application was 'Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders are urged to apply', which translated as don't bother applying if you aren't. Alice Springs was very rascist.......against white people.

I agree, its ridiculous. The worst bit, is that most people seem completely oblivious to its existence, and are too scared to talk about it even if they do. The classic example was with Lleyton Hewitt and that umpire.

He accused them of being racially prejuidiced against him...and somehow they turned it around and made Lleyton out to be racists cos he'd called them racists....go figure.

Mind you, i personally dont really care, if someone wants to call me a white c*** im not about to jump up and down and chuck a hissy fit.

Although reading that stuff Leon Davis said earlier in the year after the 'black as a dogs guts' call, its not so much teh comment themselves. They are just teh straw that broke the camels back in a sense. Leon was saying old ladies in supermarkets goto protect their purses when he walks past, and cops pull him over and ask him "is this your car?". haha "I play for Collingwood dumbarse...of course its my car."
DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:48 pm

From all my interactions with territorians (I work for their government now in sydney), both sides are just as bad as each other. The Aborigionals call us white so and so's, and us 'whites' call them black so and so's.

Thats not the case all around, as its not every aboriginal and every 'white' man who does that.

I didnt realise that White was an aboriginal, but it has to be a two way street. Mind you, I think that White would get some shit put on him up there for being aboriginal, and he would get called a black so and so a fair bit I believe.

Thats not me trying to be a do gooder or anything, but the NT footy isnt a really professional league, so everyone would get a fair bit of shit put on them.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:52 pm

Apparantly the South African cricket team objected to comments from Shane Warne to dark-skinned fast bowler Makiyra Ntini. When Ntini was batting, apparantly Warne said "Lets get this John Blackman out of here" - which came about as Blackman himself (Dicky Knee) had visited the Australian dressing room on day one. Ntini missed day four with an injured knee. The issue was resolved.

Racism is banded around quite freely in everyday life - some take it with a grain of salt, others get offended by it. Its a pretty difficult thing to outlaw all together. It is up to people themselves - similar to swearing.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:21 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
You'd think someone like Daryl White would know better. He only has himself to blame.

Dale, who else from AFL ranks has played up there?

How far back would you like me to go?

Years ago, Robbie Muir played with Wanderers. First game, got reported for a number of offences and got 12 weeks. The following week, as a spectator, abused an umpire and got another 6.

Mark (Jacko) Jackson played one game for Waratahs just after he retired from AFL.

Simon Meehan played up there after his stint at St. Kilda.

Shannon Rusca (Bulldogs) and Adrian McAdam (Roos/Pies) are currently both playing up there, as is Heath Culpitt (Carlton).

Scott Chisholm is back with St. Marys.

There are also those who started up there and are now playing AFL - Bux, Rioli, Davey, Corrie, Logan, Burgoyne (x2), Brennan, etc, then there are those who are now retired - Maurice Rioli, Michael Long, Michael McLean and Russell Jeffrey to name just four.

Last, but not least, Rupe played in the GF winning St. Marys side a couple of years a go.

I came up with all of these without having to check history books.

Hooked
DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:23 pm

Its certenally a nice place to retire too!!! Ild do the same thing if i had a few dollars as an ex AFL player. Go up to Darwin play during the summer, and then wander back down to Victoria to play during winter and get paid for it!
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:29 pm

Q. Any one got a smoke bud?
A. Nahh mate don't smoke.

Reply: you white ****, u ***** lying white trash.........then it ends up on like Donkey Kong.

Hmm sounds like a night out in Broken Hill, there is more racism against white people than any other race these days and if heaven forbid you disagree with something they say u r a racist, it's a joke.

What is worst they get taught in tafe to hate whites, I did an Aboriginal arts course just after I finished school (with one of my best friends who is aboriginal)and part of it is Aboriginal History, do they talk about there
dream time ney they talk about how the the white settlers poisoned raped and destroyed there culture not one thing about there actual beliefs or culture most current day Aboriginals don't give a fat rats clacker what happened 30 - 100 yrs ago but they love the benefits that come from it as my mate says "I don't agree we should get all the benefits we do, but hey I'm not gonna complain about 'em."
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:22 am

Gee, that's not a bad list at all, Dale. It has barely ever rated a mention in Melbourne papers - would be a pretty talented competition by the sounds of things.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Post subject: Re: Darryl White gets 5 match suspension in the NTFLReply with quote

Quote:
Ostler said he was "pretty upset" after the incident

this is the thing that annoys me a bit about racial vilification laws.... what do u reckon this guy was more upset by? being called a "white c...." or just generally being verbally abused? I'll bet you anything it was the second one...
its good that they're trying to phase out racial vilification, but it ignores the fact that all abuse is wrong. As far as I'm concerned White's behaviour was totally unacceptable, whether his comment was 'racist' or not (who really cares anyway). As for his excuse, he should take anger management or something... I get frustrated sometimes during games and don't take it out on the umpire, I dont see why he needed to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: