Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How The Man In Gold came to be

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:38 pm
Post subject: How The Man In Gold came to beReply with quote

I get a lot of questions from people everywhere concerning the man in gold and just recently from rhys wanting to know how did the man in gold ever start.

Well it was round 3 i think last year at the MCG and whilst sitting down in front row of cheer squad watching the game my good friend lesley who then was sitting about 4 rows behind me 'shouted hey joffa catch' as i turned around i was hit in the snout by what was to be a gold wig still in its wrapper....well im sitting ther thinking what the hell am i going to do with this and how in the hell is a introvert like me going to ever wear a gold wig ?

Then the idea came to me and to be honest it was no brain storm i have seen people at various sporting events wear a gold wig especially on the international stage where australia is involved.

So it was then dedided to wear the winners gold wig when i had a pretty good feeling that the pies were home and on the way to victory, at first i felt like some sort of desperate transvestite.
In my wildest thoughts i could never imagine the response i got from wearing a gold wig as the pies were headed for victory earlier this year at family day we made stacks of money just by asking people to pay 5 bucks and have a pic taken wearing the gold wig..by the way the money went to cheer squad funds.

Now sometime last year eddie did some sort of promo on the footy show wearing a gold jacket i nearly fell of the lounge chair when i saw eddie glittering away...everynow and then i email eddie and phone him about various things but i never had the nerve to ask if i could get my hands on that gold jacket but in february this year i think it was i contacted eddie and asked if it was possible to get my hands on it and to my delight not only did eddie say yes but he had it drycleaned and i ended up meeting him at vicky park where i collected the gold jacket...the name 'The Man In Gold' came about simply because people would say look there is the man in gold...M_I_G for short.

We are presently getting 'GAME OVER' posters which is a poster of the man in gold standing in front of cheer squad, the posters will be for sale and all money will go to the collingwood charities posters will sell for 5 bucks and if you want the man in gold to sign it for you it will sell for ten bucks..flounder at fromtheouter did the artwork and its going to be a lot of fun with proceeds going to charity so every one will be a winner.

Next year will probably be the last year we see the man in gold and we will probably move on and come up with something else equally as funny but i am astounded at the response this whole thing has recieved..recently in cheer squad we had man in gold gerry g dolls and a couple of kiddies in cheer squad put on there gold jakets there mum had made for them at the same time as i put my gold jacket on, the kids were wrapped it was really a fun time and thats all we are doing we are just having fun but its great doing something which will be remembered for many years to come, i dont get to see footy replays that much but a couple of weeks ago i saw the new footy song on telly and in it is a clip of the man in gold and to be honest i thought it was sensational..the glittering winners gold amongst the greatest army in the world celebrating another magpie victory...yes it will be a sad day when the jacket and wig heads for the suitcase of memories, well thats the story i hope i havnt bored you all too much.

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !.............................http://www.mp3.com/joffa

The_man_in_Gold 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Did i just read 'SUITCASE'

The wig's united will never be defeated!!

Doska^32 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:55 pm

That gold wig and jacket will shine brightly on the last day of September, midway through the last quarter!

Bagga28 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:54 am

doska your quote is poetry

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:28 am

Joffa, don't get rid of your newly formed tradition. It's only a year old. Keep the M_I_G gear I say!!

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:12 am

Joffa m8, can you let us know when and where we can get the posters from when they are ready.
thnx

iluvLONIE 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:20 pm

Joffa I reckon u should keep the gold thing..Its heaps kool and everyone knows who u are! On t.v they always show u and stuff so I reckon u should keep the M.I.G..he rox!
luv Rach!

ohh the Ryan Lonie ohh the Ryan Lonie ohh the Ryan Lonie and thats what its all about

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:15 pm

Joffa...
have u perhaps thought the MIG might not want to be retired??

Please MIG beg Joff to let you stay.....

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: