Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bux Sunday column.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:59 am
Post subject: Bux Sunday column.Reply with quote

Too big to put here, but a good read;
link; http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,%255E20864,00.html

The stand out paragraph for me is this one in regards to any young recruited player;

"If this player – in the infancy of his career – was exposed to surroundings with poor professionalism, a general lack of respect for others, inadequate coaching and an inconsistent work ethic, his prospects are likely to be drastically shortened."

Can anyone say "TONY SHAW" ! !

-Craig

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty thoughtful article.

I can't help thinking there's a lot of luck involved in this recruiting caper. It's amazing how many young "champions" turn out to be duds.

Not that there are really any out and out duds playing A.F.L. football. But a player might look a million bucks dominating for the Manangatang Thirds every week, but how do you really know he's going to cut it when he comes to the big smoke.

There is also the likelihood that a recuiter may have spotted an absolute champion only to have him drafted by the club whose pick comes immediate before his ... bugger !

I think Bucks has got it pretty well right in saying that the environment at the club can have a huge bearing on whether or not a player kicks on and makes something of his career. Which makes it such a travesty of justice to see so many brilliant young players wasted on a club like St.Kilda.

I reckon we can safely say that any players recruited to Collingwood since Mick Malthouse has been at the helm have come to a club where the culture is conducive to their development.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are lucky....in the Sunday Telegraph up here in Sydney,we had some nut calling himself Mike Gibson tellingus all how Rugby League,Rugby Union,Soccer and Aussie Rules are the most spectacular in that order,but as far as he is concerned AFL is for fairies....I would like to see if he could play and umpire the game.I am sure that he has never even followed the game,netheralone played it.
I have given an answer in the local Telegraph telling 'GIBBO' that it was about time he followed a respectable footy team.His beloved Nth Sydney Bears.....NO LONGER EXIST....

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: