Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Malthouse fears Pies may become complacent - Herald Sun

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:17 pm
Post subject: Malthouse fears Pies may become complacent - Herald SunReply with quote

08 June 2002
By Mark Robinson

HYPE? What hype?

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse wants to keep the lid on it so much at Victoria Park these days that yesterday he said Melbourne didn't deserve the underdog tag for the Queen's Birthday clash on Monday. Come on, Mick.

Beating Brisbane, pushing Port Adelaide to a kick in Adelaide, six wins from seven starts; it's the sort of form you read in a Sunline biography.

But never one to get ahead of himself or full of himself, Malthouse believes complacency (read over-confidence) can be the death of you.

It happened for two quarters against Sydney last week, and the Pies were almost beaten, and against Port for a time and they were beaten.

"It all looked to unfold beautifully for us and we went to sleep," Malthouse said.

All the hype, he said, came from outside the club.

"The hype comes from two sources, the media and it comes from supporters, and in Collingwood's case we haven't been in the finals for a number of years, not that we're there, but they smell a bit of blood," Malthouse said.

"I think the players are programmed and conditioned to it, so I don't see that as a distraction at all."

His job, after a seven-week period of competitive football, was to keep his players' minds on the job. "If we allow ourselves for one moment to think that we're not going to be in a for a hell of a game, then we won't win," he said.

"I know that Neale Daniher would like to think they're the underdog but there's a game difference between us and them.

"Really, I think it's an even-money game and I think the players understand the significance of the game.

"I have respect for Neale and his players. Their midfield is worthy of any in the competition and you can't detract from Schwarz, Neitz, Robertson and Vardy."

Meanwhile, the Pies will decide tomorrow morning whether the injured Tarkyn Lockyer (ankle) will be fit to play. Forward Scott Cummings (hamstring) will be available and a replacement for Lockyer, if needed, will be found before Collingwood's VFL side, Williamstown, plays tomorrow afternoon.

Malthouse also took the chance to point out how ridiculous it was for Collingwood and Melbourne to name their teams on Thursday night ahead of a Monday game.

"This team should be picked on Sunday evening," he said. "We've just thrown together a list of 25 players for basically you people (the media).

"For the betterment of the game we have to make subtle changes and I'm sure we don't need to see the sides in on Friday morning."

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

beating melb becomes even more vital given the w/ends results. a win would push us to 32 points, in the 4 and 2 games clear of the rest. a very handy cushion at half way. a loss and we're back to the field with the dees, dons etc.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:53 am

We are playing at such a level, I will not say above ourselves, but with such an intencity that a "flat spot" is inevitable.
I do not expect the likes of MCG, Cloke and the young guys to continue at their current output for a full season. Let's hope that flat spot does not begin tommorrow.

-Craig

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:10 pm

Yes, Black_White ... a flat spot is inevitable. I just hope it has already happened ... in the second and third quarters last week against the Coat Hangers.

Realistically, we are an infinitely more likely proposition than Melbourne in the long run. But that doesn't make us certainties tomorrow. Whichever side is more switched on will win ... make no mistake about that.

As for odds ... I'd have the Pies slightly shorter than the Dees. Let's say Pies $1.70 (7 to 10), Dees $2.00 (even money).

Having said that, I reckon we'll kick their arse.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: