Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jason Cloke - This week's Rising Star

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:00 am
Post subject: Jason Cloke - This week's Rising StarReply with quote

Like father like son, Cloke is latest Rising Star
9:56:14 AM Tue 7 May, 2002
Francis Leach
afl.com.au

It’s a family affair down at Collingwood. The Magpies love having the offspring of former stars running around in the black and white. And it seems to be paying dividends. Mark Richardson (Son of Wayne) is Collingwood’s’ longest serving player. Nick Davis (Son of Craig) is it’s most exciting goal sneak, whilst Rhyce Shaw (Son of Ray) is doing his apprenticeship at Williamstown.

Add to that list a young bloke who, in just five games of AFL footy, has proven that he is built from the same tough stuff that made his father such an imposing figure on the field.

Jason Cloke is the latest name to add to the father /son dynasty being built at Victoria Park. His performance last Friday night for the Pies against St.Kilda has won him the Round six nomination in the 2002 Rising Star Award.

And it was a well earned one at that. Last Friday against the undermanned Saints, Cloke was given one of the vital roles in Mick Malthouse’s plans to dam the flood. He had the job on Aaron Hammil.

“With the flood he started across the wing and pushed down into the hole. I tried to present and look for the quick kick around the corner and when he came down forward, just play tight. I didn’t think it was one of my better games but the coach was happy – and if the coach is happy then you’ve go to be as well.’’

It’s been a big week for Jason. “It was big day yesterday, turning 20 and being nominated for the Rising Star. It’s pretty good for a birthday present.”

Not that he has partying on his mind. Such is the footy focus of the young Magpie that his birthday will be spent at home. Not that it will be all quite at the Cloke house – Jason has a job to do.

“My parents have gone away for the week and I’m actually babysitting my younger brothers and sister. It’s pretty easy going. They can do whatever they want as long as they don’t destroy things.”

Let’s hope Mrs Cloke has put away the fine china then.

Jason Cloke grew up around football His father, David, played 333 games for Richmond and Collingwood and played in two premiership teams with the Tigers. He saw plenty of time in the corridors of footy clubs but mostly he remembers hanging out with other footy toddlers

“I spent most of my time in creche’s at footy clubs. Game days it was straight off to the crčche. Waverley was deluxe – they had a nice big crčche out there.”

Jason wasn’t too forthcoming on whether he liked to use the odd elbow or shirtfront in crčche to make sure he got the little Golden Book of his choice. After all it’s a jungle in there, and if he was anything like his dad was out on the field, you wouldn’t want to get in the way of the object of his desire.

When he did get in the rooms he usually had a job to do.

“He used to make us help him take off his boots when I was little and go and get him a drink. I probably have more memories of just walking down the street and hearing people yell out – ‘There’s Clokey!’”

Not that he was playing footy himself from the day he could walk. His father was wary of the sort of damage the game could inflict on a young body and tried to hold him back.

“I didn’t start until I was 12. Dad didn’t like us starting young so I ended up playing my first game of football when dad went away on a football camp .Mum wasn’t keen on me playing either. A mate said his team was short so I snuck down and filled in. Dad was upset that he missed my first game, but he knew it was going to happen sooner or later.”

And it’s happening for Jason Cloke sooner rather than later. And that’s good news for Collingwood as well as its pedigree-recruiting program.

After all, when it comes producing to young guns, the Magpies know – some Fathers Do Have ‘ Em.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Clokey, he well and truely deserves the recognition.

Love the way he plays, attack the footy!!!!!!!

Fradam Wrote This
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:30 am

Congrats to young Clokey, and having watched him play for Williamstown last year, it was due time he made his mark in the senior team.

However, what does it take for McGough to get the same recognition. MCG has set himself a very high standard to maintain, and any drop in production will be more noticable now than if he started off slowly.

MCG will now be a marked man, with even more pressure put on him by opposition teams. Will he be able to handle this pressure? Only time will tell.

This is not meant to detract from his performances so far this year, just an observation from where I sit.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."
Rosewall Woman 2 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:03 am

It is always so hard when you have several outstanding newcomers to the team. Both Cloke and MCG have been brilliant over the start of this season and in time MCG will get his just rewards. No one can ignore his silky skills for too long we just have to be patient.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:29 am

Well Done to Jason Cloke who has been great in his attack on the ball and courageous play.

Now all that is left are for

McGough, Cole and Didak to be nominated during the rest of the season.

I am the game, you don't wanna play me
I am control, no way you can change me
I am have heavy debts, no way you can pay me
I am the pain, and I know you can't take me

Look over your shoulder, ready to run
Like a good little bitch, from a smoking gun
I am the game, and I make the rules
So move on out, and you can die like a fool
Play the game, you're gonna be the same
You're gonna change your name, you're gonna die in flames
Hahahahaha
Time to play the game!
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:40 am

Congratulations to Jason Cloke.
Already tough and hard at the ball.
McGough's turn will come.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:53 am

Well done Clokey!!! Great Effort so far, keep it up.

JDF
Lisey_JarrodMolloyrox 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:58 pm

Good on ya Clokey! Nomination and you turned 20 yesterday! What a week!! Keep up the good work sweetie!
Love alwaze,
Alyssa xoxo 14 in 9 days!!

*~LiSeY~*
I Love Jarrod, He's The Best, He's the best player in the black and white vest!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: