Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

oops, there goes the movie career

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:55 am
Post subject: oops, there goes the movie careerReply with quote

I remember thinking, a couple of years ago, that James Hird will probably have a career in the movies after he retires from football. Let's face it ... all the little girls go crazy over him, and judging from his constant media exposure, he could probably be taught to "act" without too much trouble. He's been showing enough talent conning the umpires for years, he'd probably be a natural.

And a real stud apparently. I was talking to a woman at 3CR the other day. She went to the same school as young Jimmy and actually dated him once. She was so impressed with him that she became a lesbian.

Anyway ... Imagine my shock and horror when I saw poor Jimmy's blood-spattered face on the TV news last night. The future star of the silver screen, so disfigured that I'm sure his own mother wouldn't recognise him. Ah, well, Jimmy. So much for the movie career. Looks like you'll have to just grow old and bitter like the rest of us. You can sit in a cheap bar full of punch-drunk ex-boxers all day and exchange stories about how you coulda been a contender.

But the people I really feel sorry for are all those nice little pre-pubescent girls who are going to have to get a new number to put on the back of their Essendon jumpers.

Maybe they'll all just give up and become lesbians too.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, Alf...you know what the girls say out Essenscum way :
"If ya can't join em, lick em"

paulie 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:30 pm

Disgracefull talk two grown women licking each other.Haven't seen that in my pesence in days!!!!!!

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 4:42 am

he still has a future in showbiz....as the elephant man

(self moderation)

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797

[This message has been edited by junkboy75 (edited 06 May 2002).]
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:00 am

Hey guys, not sure that I agree with what you're saying here. If it was Nath that this accident happened to, would you be so ready to laugh?

Doesn't matter how much you hate James Hird - it is still a very unpleasant incident which has occurred to him. Think about his family...

I'd like to think I'm a bigger person than that, and will not laugh or crack jokes at the expense of another's misfortune.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:09 am

have to agree with kristin
im ecstatic the dons lost and are on a bit of a slide at the moment but hirds injuries are sickening. perth doctors have likened them to being in a high speed car crash. my dislike of all clubs bar the pies(and indeed hatred when referring to the filth, wet toast and the crows) doesnt mean i enjoy watching a champion player(seriously guys, dont even try to argue with me on that point)have is face reconstructed. most people felt sorry for peter caven when plugger decided to rearrange his face - this should be no different. this was an incident in a game of footy which caused much distress to his family and should not be laughed at. there would be a post with 300 replies of sympathy on this BB if it was a pie.

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:57 am

I just want to say that I don't like seeing any AFL player with a serious injury. If an opponent is out for a week when they're due to play the Pies then that's good timing for us - but it's terrible seeing any sports persons future affected by a serious/long-term injury.

GO PIES!
Marg

doobie 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 6:17 am

They said that he'll probably have to wear a metal plate in his face for the rest of his life.
wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 6:23 am

agreed, I don't like to see players seriously injured and in fact, I always applaud an opposition player when they leave the ground with a serious injury. to this end, I wish hird a speedy recovery.

humans have an urge to laugh at people getting hurt - half of the segments on a show like "australia's funniest home videos" are of people and animals getting hit by things, tripping, falling, and getting injured. it's called low-brow humour. I don't subscribe to it, but I won't judge a person who does.

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797
Bones 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 6:37 am

As much as i loathe and want to spit on Hird, i agreed with the majority and wish him well...

Shite did i say that???

Remember the day that Bucks had his jaw smashed???? Say no more..

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:16 am

yeah I wonder how many opposition fans laughed and joked about bucks' injury?

however, and I don't care what anyone says, I will laugh everytime matthew richardson does a hamstring

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:53 am

Oh for heaven's sake people, can we stop being so PC for a moment? Just coz pretty boy copped a nasty one in the face is no reason to go all soft.

Nobody wished it on him, nobody said he deserved it, and nobody is saying that its a fabulous thing that it happened. However, now that it has happened, there's very little harm in getting a bit of fun out of the situation (especially given that there appears to be no lasting damage).

And I bet most of you laughed at Peter Filandia's actions last week. If you did, then why is not ok to get a laugh here too? Both events give rise to potentially serious injuries, although they do say Filandia may have got less of a meal if he tried the same trick on Jimmy.

And is it only me, or does Richardson's hammy have a tendecy to go only when Richmond is losing?

matter of degree in difference.

"I am disrespectful to scum! Can you see I am serious!"
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:16 am

WhyPhilWhy, I realise that it is ok to see the funny side in many situations, and I didn't think the comments on this thread were too bad, but I thought I would try to temper them before they got out of hand, and this seems to have been successful.

I think you are wrong though in drawing an analogy between the Hird and Filandia incidents! They are not similar at all! And, btw, I didn't laugh when I heard about the Filandia incident, as I think it has been blown out of all proportion (no pun intended) and the poor guy has been absolutely crucified for a spur of the moment action, the target area of which I'm certain was not intended.

And as for your comment regarding Matthew Richardson - I think you are spot on, and have in the past mentioned this to my friends.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 10:50 am

being politically correct as it was mentioned here earlier is not the issue re hird. back in the 50's, 60's and 70's particularly, there was certainly no such concept as PC but the majority were decent people who would not have found humour in an incident which until yesterday was thought to have possibly caused hird partial blindness and/or brain damage. Yes they were tough old bastards with some even king hitting blokes on the field etc, but an accident such as this would not have raised laughter. PC is a concept of modernity(ie, bullshit) and i agree there is no reason to suddenly like hird simply because he got hammered. I do, however, think most people respect him as a footballer and that should have been shown in a time like this when his young family were in distress 4000k's away. I reiterate what i said earlier - if it was a magpie who had gone down, the collingwood community(us) would have been extremely concerned for his welfare and would have been disgusted by others who found humour in his plight. the posts on this board have been ok i think... but others i have talked to and on other boards are just shocking. personally, i hope he recovers soon and well.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 11:35 am

Quote;

"there was certainly no such concept as PC but the majority were decent people who would not have found humour in an incident which until yesterday was thought to have possibly caused hird partial blindness and/or brain damage."

Endquote.

gotta have a brain to get brain damage........!

-Craig

Ooohhhh, I'm so PI that it hurts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: