Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Four Corners Now!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:37 pm
Post subject: Four Corners Now!!Reply with quote

Lots of Pies shots.
At the ground and the blessing of the scarves.

Bones 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Was interesting, sort of...

Struggling clubs should be given enough dough to pay of their debts, given 5 years to get their act together then yer out mate.

Moi not being a selfish person thinks that the blockbusters should be shared.. If they flop yer out mate.

Yes north of the border should be given extra $'s for developement, how much? i dunno. BUT are the other clubs doing enough to develope their own dung hills?

And remember this, that CFC were struggling a few years ago.

Yes i hate The Roos
Yes i hate The Doggies
No i don't want to see either fold.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:52 pm

The Four Corners program produces a reasonably good argument regarding the dreaded conflict of interest issue with Eddie McGuire. The ethical issue here is Self-dealing, and this I believe is at the heart of the conflict of interest issue, rather than things like potential bias when calling games, which is a professional conduct matter rather than a conflict of interest matter. Greg Brown (I think that’s his name) is the lawyer of both Eddie and Channel Nine. The negotiation and subsequent awarding of the television rights presents a potential conflict of interest since, as Four Corners alluded, the process was a highly competitive one, with many players. An example is that if you work for Government, you then can’t use your official position to secure a contract for a private consulting company you own. There must be total transparency.

There are two tests to decide whether a conflict of interest exists. “The key is to determine whether the situation you are in is likely to interfere or appear to interfere with the independent judgment you are supposed to show as a professional in performing your official duties”.

“A good test is the 'trust test': would relevant others [employer, clients, professional colleagues, or the general public] trust my judgment if they knew I was in this situation”. Trust here is “at the ethical heart or core of this issue”. However, this reveals the way in which such conflicts of interests can be quashed: reveal your private interest in the matter to relevant parties. “Often if others are made aware of what might be influencing a person’s judgment, they can be on their guard and not be caught unaware”. To this end, I believe Eddie has been nothing but completely transparent, what with the nation’s eyes on him.

Sometimes the trust test is not enough. “The second way to avoid conflicts of interests is to absent yourself from decision making or advice giving if you have a private interest. Example, in the case of potential self-dealing, the conscientious professional will say that he/she can't be involved in a situation where he/she is both bidding on a government contract and deciding as a public servant who is awarded the contract. He/she will either step aside and completely absent himself/herself from determining who gets the contract or refrain from bidding on such contracts in the first place -- which is probably the wisest course of action” OK, many people will think that this applies to Eddie’s game calling. As I argued above, this relates more to professional conduct than conflict of interest. Any commentator has the potential to barrack, this does not necessarily lead to conflict of interest. In any case, Eddie has not displayed any bias, certainly not when he was calling the Richmond game.

They keep trotting this line out, but at the end of a day, it isn’t a free kick until the umpire says it’s a freekick. Although Wayne Jackon has maintained his usual stance of hand balling the issues, whether it’s to the Kangaroos or Channel 9, the facts remain that no one has provided the necessary evidence to conclusively prove a conflict of interest situation. Until they do, and believe me there are always people who would love it if such evidence were ever to be produced, they should just shut the hell up.

Reference: http://www.ethics.ubc.ca/mcdonald/conflict.html

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797
GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:24 am

The Four Corners show was interesting, the interviewer had no Aussie Rules knowledge and little understanding of the VFL/AFL culture. This added to it I think, giving a perspective that footy fanatics and fundamentalists could not have created. That Sydney goose might have got away with his nonsense about growing the game and having a missionary role for footy, then he stuffed it all up with his gesture at Eddie. Came across as vindictive and childish. We all know that for years
Collingwood, Carlton, and Essendon money has kept the Swans alive. Interesting that there was little no input from WA, SA, and the other so called strong clubs.

I still mourn the loss of Fitzroy, remember the banner at Vic Park for their last game, went something like this "Courted by North, F$$%%ed by the AFL". I will miss the other clubs when they go, I grew up visiting the Junction oval, Morrabin, Footscray, however the only way we will survive is if market forces are allowed to run there course. Sad but a fact of life in sport these days.

paulie 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:29 am

I think the banner read seduced by north raped by brisbane fu*# by the a.f.l

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:02 am

Thats exactly what it read Paulie....

Yeah

"Seduced by North, Raped by Brisbane and F*$#@ed by the A.F.L."

I remember it well.....

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:25 am

Thanks Paulie and cobood I am getting a bit old. It was a sad day loosing Fitzroy, they had been around forever and hated us as much as anyone. The mongrels always seemed to give us a hard time on the field as well. I remember after a game at Waverly in 92 against Carlton when the can shakers were trying to raise some money for Fitzroy. We had been flogged by the filth and my brother yelled "give him some money, we need Fitzroy so we can beat someone".

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:08 am

I saw that Four Corners,BUT I would be interested to find out when it was recorded.There just seemed to be alot of things left ot,but Colless should have been fined $20,000:00 and the info on Kangas and Dogs,I think should have been kept in the board room.I see earlier this week that some one is hoping that Elliot calls it quits.
See what happens hey.

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: