Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tim Lane

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

posted on FTO by "finno"
I think he/she makes a valid point here;

"Is Tim catching any of the cricket of Foxtel? Most probably not as its a commercial enterprise and you have to pay for it but Alan Border, a selector of the Australian cricket team, is commentating on the Australian cricket team's matches. He is doing a fine job - not one comment of conflict of interest before he started the role and now during it. Not much differnece in this case. Would the ABC kick AB out of the commentary box if he came up to do a stint of commentary? I doubt it very much....

Good luck tonight El Presidente!"

Well I wonder what Tim would say to that?

-Craig

We Are Collingwood and you're NOT!!

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:11 am

The only way (the ONLY way) Eddie could have a conflict of interest is if he was paid as president of Collingwood.

Given that most, if not all, of his commercial interests were in place before he was elected to the board, and that his commitment to the Pies probably COSTS him money, where is the conflict?

However, if you argue that his involvement with the club somehow compromises his ability to act as an unbiassed journalist, then every single journalist that barracks for a club also has a conflict. Its not a question of IF, its a question of what degree.

Will Dermie resign from the Hawthorn board? Will Francis Leach never mention another St Kilda fundraiser again?

Tim, you are the best radio commentator going around, but your just being a bit precious here (and I'm going to hang on every word you say about Carlton this year).

Any year we beat Carlton is a good year
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:15 am

likewise caro with richmond or shite mike with melbourne.

"consectatio excellentiae"
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:41 am

Tim lane was on TV this afternoon,on ch9/10 and Sky news telling all about his disagreement.He has gone back to the ABC.
I recon that there must be more to it than we know and only Tim Lane knows what this is.
Good luck to him.

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
ed healey 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:19 am

if percieved bias was a problem
Then bert Bryant and Bill Collins should never have been race callers.
They had a bet on every race they called.owned horses they called etc.but nobody cared a hoot,it was their style.
I see this as only being a problem as it allows Eddie to criticise umpires during a call and all other presidents cant do it.
But that goes for all games not just the collingwood ones.
I reckon Eddie is very similar in style and sound to Mike Williamson,old style caller.
Its a pleasant change from the director of hawthorn raving endlessly over and over on the same point all afternoon.
keep Eddie and get rid of Dermie would be my option.
Tim is after all an ABC man and should stay that way and leave the commercial style to the Eddies of the world.
As for credibility of the ABC
Did i hear hanse cronje during last nights callfrom south africa?
that is real credibility there.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:52 am

What about Tim Lane calling Carlton games. Or Ted Whitten calling Footscay games, or Jack Dyer calling Richmond games (and Lou Richards calling Collingwood games).

What about the conflict of interest involved in ABC's practice of having a club's injured players, acting as EXPERTS (thereby, I think, bringing the real concept of "conflict of interests" into being), on game day?

Did we hear anything from Tim Lane, about conflict of interests, when an ex-Carlscum player, administrator, gets the responsibility to come up with a draw, and surprise, surprise, Collingwood ends up playing at Princess Park!

Just more Collingwood bashing...

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: