Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My fight with depression

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hired-Goon Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you mate, and keep ya chin up, its a beautiful world sometimes Smile
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 pm

I have started to be able to talk about some of my old wounds, but I have since foind a quote that explains it all

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

Then thereis the follow ing

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Colin Alexander Leo

The great man and I

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:22 pm

I suppose this is a bit late in the thread to mention this, but i have suffered for the best part of the last 7 years with depression also. I have always had issues with self esteem and self worth so my depression always pops up from time to time. I tell ya, i wouldn't wish the feeling upon the worst Carlton supporter!! I find it so heartening that so many people have come out here with support and compassion. I think the best way to overcome this is with lots of compassion, understanding and all the love from your freinds and family. At the moment i am suffering quite badly again for i have no job due to me and my fellow workers getting laid off a couple of months ago due to the company going bust. The old thoughts of suicide have been creeping back from time to time which is pretty terrible to state the bloomin obvious. I have got through much worse in the past, so although im hurting at the moment, deep down i know i have the confidence to get through it all, as i have in the past. And with everything thats happened recently in Asia, it certainly helps you to appreciate things alot more, even though im on a bit of a downer. Big high five and slap on the back to you Mortis for bringing this up too. Its people like you that make it so much better for all of us like you to get better, and most of all feel less ashamed about bringing it out in the open. Mate, you'll get through it i assure you. It takes lots and lots of time but you will get through it. But hey, its only taking lots of time for me cos im just a hard headed [snip], for you it might be different! Everyone has different time frames for recovery. Good luck to you and everyone else who is, or knows someone who is suffering.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Don't worry mate, let it out, that is what this thread was for, so other's didn't have to feel like me, I have been keeping it to myself for the last few years.

It's always good to get it out, leaving it bottled up will only cause you more pain.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Colin Alexander Leo

The great man and I

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:45 pm

Mortis wrote:
Don't worry mate, let it out, that is what this thread was for, so other's didn't have to feel like me, I have been keeping it to myself for the last few years.

It's always good to get it out, leaving it bottled up will only cause you more pain.

Very true superstar, very true. I dont know for me at the moment with no job, its like you gotta try and keep positive and all and not give up, but sometimes it just all gets to me. Getting knocked back over and over and over again just really tests my resillience ya know. And for someone with self esteem issues, its a horrible situation for me to be in. But as ive said in my last post, i'll get there. I've conquered depression in the past so i'll do it again. Sometimes, you have to go through rough patches and im embarassed to say it, but im a slow learner as well. It takes alot of time for me but i'll be good. I wouldnt want the Collingwood players to give up so why should i? As Bucks said in the 02 grannie, "we'll never give in". And neither will i.
You're a superstar man, i wish you all the very very best
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:58 pm

That's the way mate, good luck, it helps to chat to a friend, or get professional help. I saw what was going on and new it was time for a chanege. I am happy that my story has been able to help others deal with their issues.

Good luck to everyone, if for any reason you need someone to talk to, e-mail me or even PM me. I will try my best to help you through it.

big heart liccaa 18 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:37 am

Good on you Dave,I know from nearly losing my dad to severe depression a couple of years ago,that the best thing is to open up and talk,and making this post must have been a brave decision.My Dad was always the rock of the family,but to see him when we finally got him to go and talk to some-one I'll never forget.the man I always thought was so strong had his weaknesses too that none of us,even mum could help him with until he was ready to open up. He used to always say ' I'm not going to no bloody shrink'. But after many attempts at different medication and lots of side affects like for instance ,he would go from a man who was so angry inside to a person with no emotion at all.
When he decided not to take any-more medication he went to see a so called 'shrink' thats what he called them at first,but they really helped dad deal with deep seaded wounds from his childhood even,that he hadnt thought about for years ,but with the stresses of working in a union office trying to get guys that had been retrenched as much as possible a payout he could .After fifteen years of those sort of instances and many others it really took its toll. He went to see the doc for about 9 months,and now says it was the best thing he could of done.He now isn't scared to talk or tell us how he is feeling emotional, I'm so proud of how far he has come and I remind him of that all the time .He is now back to the strong dad i remember but with a willingness to open up when some-thing is bothering him and a new way of dealing with his demons that he never realized he had .So I hope that any-one with depression is as lucky as you ,Dave, and has some-body that cares enough to listen to their problems,and not judge them, just listen to them,sometimes thats all it takes to get the ball rollin.Some-one who cares. and if this girl has made you feel that you can do that then its all good . I wish you all the best of luck on your journey of recovery and always remember there are plenty of us Collingwood people, and side by side we stick together......

2005 YEAR OF THE BUCKLEY
AND THE MIGHTY MAGPIES Very Happy Very Happy

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:13 am

For all of us who've participated in this thread, or even just read it, I hope the realisation comes that when in real trouble just about anyone will help. I've seen childish fights and differing opinions on here but when something serious comes up (and depression is serious) then everything is put aside and support is shown.

The point I'm making (to enforce Davo's sentiments) is that no matter how down you feel, there is always someone there to support you in some way, shape or form.

I have my own beliefs on depression and they are that it's a condition that exists in all of us. Depending on how we manage it determines whether it can get the better of us. I don't know anyone who hasn't suffered it on some level. That is why just about all of us can relate in some ways on this topic.

Keep the communication flowing and transfer the weight of the world...because then the weight is shared. Hang in there because what's waiting on the other side is SOOO worth it.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:31 pm

Davo, please see your doctor.

Posting on Beyondblue is a good start. They will almost certainly direct you to professional help to assess if you have depression or get depressed. There's a difference.

Depression - the feeling - is as natural as joy, elation, sadness, anger etc. It can come from being lonely, unemployed, your footy team losing, a relationship breakup - any disappointment.

We can express and experience happiness and having fun but we tend to shy away from the 'negative' feelings like anger, depression, grief etc.

They are socially 'uncool' so we tend to supress them, often with drugs/alcohol which, in the long term, makes things worse.

They need to be expressed just as much as the 'happy' feelings. You have indicated great relief because someone listened to you, long enough for you to unload some of those 'unpleasant' feelings.

Humans have wonderful intellects but they get clogged up with 'stuff'. I call it emotional spaghetti.

When we can express some of this stuff, to an aware listener, we feel better but what's really happening is our brain starts functioning more clearly so we THINK better.

Davo, feel free to chat to me about this subject. You have my msn.

To the other wonderful Nickheads who've posted in this thread, making a start as Dave has is the way to go. Seek and ye shall find.

Sometimes, the solution or the road to recovery/healing is a lot closer than you think. Very Happy

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:10 pm

I can't add much to what has been said. I've never really experienced depression. I have my moods every now and then, but I usually end up bright at the end of it all.

But I just wanted to say, it's great that people are open to talking about this sort of stuff. It allows people to get things off their chest, and it gives others a bit of perspective on life.

Dave, chin up mate. Good to hear you are beginning to work things through. Atleast you are taking a step in the right direction.

Everybody else who has experienced, or is experiencing similar problems, always seek help....always. Don't be afraid of taking a step in the right direction.

Mags, good luck with the move.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:28 pm

I am glad that I was able to get it all out and post it here, I was really worried that people would act differently to what you have. I am glad to be here with a great bunch of people that have done nothing but send along your support.

I have had issues about telling people stuff, my main fear is that they would act in a way that isn't what I want. If it wasn't for Sarah and Daks, I would still have these issues bottled up inside and wouldn't have them out in the open to start to get help.

I hope those who are also suffering depression, will let it all out, it's been the best thing that I could of done. For a long time I have been wanting to be able to find someway of getting everything out, and I have finally found someone I can trust with my issues. I have also been helping her recently deal with her problems, while they aren't the same as mine I am glad to help her with everything.

I will also do the same for anyone here, if you need it, I am ready to listen, everyone has opened my eyes on how important it is to let everything out.

Thank you.

Colin Alexander Leo

The great man and I

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:00 am

No no.....thank YOU mate!!!
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:52 am

eddies bank balance wrote:
Way to go DUDE Very Happy and i guess that fav song of yours 'short but thick' reflected the way you were feeling,cause i did listen to it a couple of times and its kinda dark,but try listening to The Carpenters Shocked 'calling occupants' Shocked its my song of the month/s....anyone else have fav songs that make you happy??

I have found the song 'One Thing' By Finger Eleven makes be feel better when I am down, these days, I never used to have one.

I listen to a little too much heavy metal some days..

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:01 am

A lot of people like that. What is not to like about HEAVY METAL ?
Daks Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:44 am

I found a song just before Christmas that cracks me up every time i hear it..

It's as catchy as hell, too.

'Dragostea Din Tei' - O-Zone

© Daks 2006
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: