Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

From the Archives

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:26 am
Post subject: From the ArchivesReply with quote

I've been poking through the archives and found some interesting snippets.

Those of you who have been around here for a few years will remember Newelly. He was the creator of an early Pies site 'Swoop', one of the few Pie sites running at the beginning of the '97 season. Newelly was also a regular of the Bulletin Board and besides being famous for his heated exchanges with Neil Appleby, another early regular, he was subject to fits of depression and outbursts caused by the lacklustre performance of the Pies - nothing's changed really.

One of Newelly's tantrums, 'Pies Pisspoor in Perth Part 2' - http://archive.magpies.net/bb_mk1/807.html , attracted this notable response from 'Anon' - http://archive.magpies.net/bb_mk1/828.html

Notable? Most of the negative posts on this BB have attracted responses like that. What made this one different? The difference is that the person who posted this response talked to me about it some time afterwards. Anon was the co-vice captain (now Captain) of our club.

Newelly never knew the level of interest his posts attracted. If you're still out there Newelly, I'm sorry for not telling you, but I was asked not to. I only mention it now because so much time has passed and because it highlights the fact that posts on bulletin boards do have an impact on the players - negative and positive.

As well as a great human record of the supporters of the Club through a turbulent time, there are lots of interesting snippets from notable users in the archives. I've come across London Dave's first post (1998), posts from Tommy the Timekeeper, now known as Hotrod - and lots more. I'll try to post something every week if you're interested.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 08 March 2002).]
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that the second 'Anon' in that thread is a different person and still remains anon.

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:11 am

Makes for a fantastic read, Mike! Do you know whether Nath still reads/posts here? I know that he has said that Nick's BB is his favourite website.

Interesting to see the old layout too - it's heaps better now!

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:20 am

No, I don't know Kristin (honestly).

I do know one thing though. If I was a player I wouldn't go near a bulletin board, but then I've got a fairly thin skin.

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:45 am

Thanks Mike...

It is a great insight..... Nothing changes does it??...

I only hope that the ppl who this subtle example was directed to... take note.....

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:52 am

Experimenting with social engineering Mike?

Seriously, in light of level of current 'debate' here, we should all reflect on two things.

1) We are part of the Collingwood family, and like all families, no one will be more cruel or more harshly critical. I've been known to say things about my family that I would never tolerate from some outsider.

2) The other thing a family provides is support when you just need to vent. Sometimes, when your expectations are elevated by a good win against North at Manuka in the last round, losing at both Manuka and to North in the pre-season is a little crushing.

Not having an avenue to vent those feelings leads to angry little anal retentive passive aggressives so commonly experienced at in the crowd at Carlton games.

However, that being said, venting is all well and good as long as it is an expression of how you feel. Abusing players, coaches and other supporters does no-one any good.

"I felt the effort was pathetic" is fine - no one can argue with what you feel. "Collingwood Player X was pathetic" is an apparent statement of fact and likely to get you a (not altogether underserved) punch on the nose if mentioned within earshot of me and my mates.

Any statements to the effect that players from other clubs are pathetic are of course an actual statement of fact and should be actively encouraged and applauded.

Any year we beat Carlton is a good year
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:25 am

haha. great stuff mike.

i actually reckon looking at stuff from back then is pretty depressing. but also very interesting. they were dark old days.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:48 am

Phil I beg to difer. My Dad was a terrible critic of me. If I ever did anything wrong in sport he was the first to tell me how terrible I was, he was very negative. If I did something well, took a good mark or kicked a goal there was nothing from him but slience. He never ever encouraged me.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism butI have no time for negativity. It distroys confidence. The word pathetic is a strong word and a word I will never ever use.

The boys go out and they give it everything theyve got. You cant ask for anymore than that. I'm so proud that I'm a Collingwood member coz I'm a member of a club that plays with heart and soul. They have passion, they gives it everything. They play tough and play fair.

Go Pies! you do us proud. We believe in you all. You can all walk with your heads up high coz all though there are many knockers on this board there are plenty of others who may be weaker in their words but stronger in their beliefs.

QUI PATITUR VINCIT
Whoever perseveres conquers.

Fradam Wrote This
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:21 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...

That's disgraceful ... all that negativity.

Of course, Mike, as you know, I would never say such negative things about Collingwood.

Never

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:12 am

There is absolutely no truth to the rumour that before you became Dr Alf you were known as Mr Negativity.

... or that you once suggested on this board that the players "should be sent up shit creek ... in a barbed wire canoe" for their end of season trip.

... but there may be some truth in the rumour that in Feb 2000, whilst in a far-sighted mood and during a brief remission from negativity, you suggested: "What we really need is ONE big cheer squad comprising the entire Collingwood crowd, not a bunch of self-satisfied little drop-kicks carrying on as if they are the only true believers".

I think you were probably guilty of constructive negativity, which is a refined and much more subtle form of constructive criticism - so you are forgiven.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 09 March 2002).]
Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:17 pm

As requested in chat room last night Mike, please make the archives a regular feature.
I'm only fairly new to this board, it would be good to see some highlights from before my time.
Anyone who agrees PLEASE post your request NOW!!!!!

-Craig

We Are Collingwood and you're NOT!!

ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:00 pm

Excellent idea to dig out some classics from the archive Mike. Feel free to dig out a few more gems.

Go Pies! You are doing us Proud.

Carol

May the Wings of the Magpie touch every corner of the Nation!
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:36 pm

Yea Mike please do.........

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:09 pm

... and so say all of us ...
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 5:12 am

Keep them coming Mike.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: