Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Answer is.... The Big Names!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesso Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:39 am
Post subject: The Answer is.... The Big Names!Reply with quote

Collingwood need to do some recruiting. I have mentioned this in several replys that Collingwood have not recruited any one decent since Woey. And sure we have potential coming up in Tom Davidson who I can't wait to see mature as a player because he looks fantastic, but really I think our 2005 will be the same or even just as bad as our 2004. WE NEED TO RECRUIT! We need the big names. For others to say Ottens is a Dud! Puhlease! He is so young and how many times has he killed us... Go for the Big Names in Crawford, Ottens, Smith, Johnson, Carr's..... We have already missed out on the Scott Thompson who will be a superstar. The other Thompson, in Nathan, just needed a new start. Every one knew a player like him just needed some new surroundings.

Similar to last year. We missed out on Nick Stevens which would have just added another element to our midfield! Even the Fat man this year could do us some good in big old Lance Whitnal!

From what i think! This is the Answer! We need big names would ALWAYS perform! Collingwood cannot keep wasting their time looking for youngsters. We have found them. The Davidsons, The Kings, The Shackeltons are all prospects for the future but its about time we get the BIG NAMES.

I also think our youngsters like the Lokan, Cole, McGough and some others have maybe already played there best and there isnt much more to come from them. We can't keep hoping that every youngster we get will automatically become a superstar.

What do you think!?
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really agree with you there Jesso - I think we need A big name, a big name midfielder in fact, but we don't need to throw up everyone in trades and get Ottens and Crawford and Fat farm - that would be disasterous.

Our list isn't as bad as this year would suggest, injuries and a terrible pre season contributed to us playing terribly this year, but I think that the addition of a spritly midfielder would make all the difference to this team - get Bartel and Morrison and I would be very happy indeed.

Our forward line is probably going to be the best in the league next year, Cam Cloke and Davidson should a lot and Fraser will do more damage as Richards spends omre time in the ruck. Our backline is a bit iffy (talls) it's time for J Cloke to stand up and show something, hopefully grooming into a CHB when Wakes retires. Maxwell looks the goods.

The midfield is the problem with Bucks spending less time there due to necessity, Burns and Licca and Woey just aren't good enough at clearances. I'm hopeing the Shaw boys will come through and MCG will actually learn how to kick, Obree and Dutchy will get some form back, Davis and Didak will get some stamina etc, but in reality I think we would benefit greatly from a Kerr or Bartel type player to finish us off nicely. '

But I don't think we need to go all out and destroy what is basically a very good team in order to get two or three somewhat good (and old) players.

- Ben
richo 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:55 am

The question is apart from Ottens which big names are available at the moment. If there are any players to come out of left field it has to happen soon. The big deals often happen right at the end and there is probably someone out there who none of us suspect who may just be heading to magpie land.
richo 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:57 am

I agree with you Brown26 we need a couple of gutsy midfielders. Our forward line does look good for next year, all going well of course.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:59 am

I don't really agree with you Jesso. We made the Grand Final two years in a row, had a hell of a lot of injuries this year and then everyone wants to change. I'd have a star if we could, but to be honest, I'm confident of next year. Harvey should be the one we look at.
BringBackChipper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:26 am

You Win premierships through the Draft not trading away picks.
Geelong & St.Kilda will win flags through keeping their picks.
Brisbane built a list through godd recruiting from the draft
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:43 am

As a general rule recruiting big names is very dangerous. You pay a lot for them and you pay them a high salary. Of all clubs we should know this best. We sent our club to the wall financially doing this in the 80's and it did not bring a premiership. We tried again with Barry Mitchell and where did that get us? Where did Kane Johnson and Nathan Brown take Richmond? Right to last place.

To get Stevens we would have had to have given up Didak, who didn't want to leave us, and Morrison. We don't know whether Morrison will be delisted in 12 months or will be an emerging star at CHF. Look at what Hawthorn got for Thompson. Look at what Croad went for twice. The big name signing are not the answer. The answer is using your draft picks well and trading for player who address specific deficiencies. Players like Clement and Licuria make teams. You need to identify unrealised talent and you need to find players with specific skill sets that fill your needs. For us it is pace and skill in the midfield as a main priority. Stevens gets plenty of the ball but he lacks real courage and he isn't overly quick. He is more like what we have than what we need in that he will run hard all day and get plenty of possession but he doesn’t have any great pace or flair. He is a poor mans Buckley. I wouldn't knock him back for a resonable price but I was never upset we kept pick 18 and Didak.

Last edited by MarkT on Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:08 am

I think MM has refrained from using Dids in the middle until 2004's performance forced his hand. 2005 was possibly his planned year to unleash him to save his body from midfield wear and tear and allow him to develop.
MagpieMegan 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:40 pm

I have faith that our club will do the right thing this year.

Well I hope so!
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:50 pm

MagpieMegan wrote:
I have faith that our club will do the right thing this year.

Well Said!

A true supporter shows FAITH in their club
d9 tank 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:04 pm

Cam wrote:
I think MM has refrained from using Dids in the middle until 2004's performance forced his hand. 2005 was possibly his planned year to unleash him to save his body from midfield wear and tear and allow him to develop.

I really do hope your right Cam. Make or break year for Dids as far as his midfield aspirations go. From here on in he isn't going to get much bigger or faster.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:21 pm

But BBC, we have a solid list. We just need an extra touch of class in the midfield. If we can trade it for a Bartel, we should do it in a flash.

Good point Cam - Dids faces d-day next year. He and Lonie have no more chances. Both have underperformed and need to quickily improve. Didak has so much talent but can't seem to win the ball enough. Its time he made a stand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: