Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley has a virus !

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:53 am
Post subject: Buckley has a virus !Reply with quote

Beware !

An email was sent to my Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com address with the subject titled "Re:". It contained no messages, but did have the following attachments
""stuff.MP3.pif (38k), text5.txt (0b)"

The sender was "Nathan Buckley" <[SNIP]>

I have a suspicion it was sent to my Hotmail account, via my Magpie Mail email address clemo@magpies.net

When I viewed the message, it produced the following...

"Name of File Virus Scan Result
stuff.MP3.pif PWS-gen.Hooker Virus Found
There is no cure available for the virus on the file stuff.MP3.pif
It is not possible to download files from Hotmail that contain incurable viruses. Contact the originator of the file, inform them that the file contains a virus, and ask them to send a virus-free version of the file."

Beware of any messages sent by somebody using Nathan Buckley's name. My theory it is coming from a Carlscum supporter.

Has anyone else received the same message ?

This is an absolute disgrace.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 10 January 2002).]
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Settle down Clemo, it's not always a scum driven conspiracy.

I received several emails from that address, all carrying the badtrans virus. That virus sends emails to every address it can find on the computer - address books, emails, cached web pages etc. and the owner of the computer is not aware that they have been sent.

Our email system automatically notifies the senders of infected email that their machine is infected, and a notification was sent.

Are you sure that the email didn't come from Bucks' computer? I've cut the email address you posted just in case.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 10 January 2002).]
cammo 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:44 am

This is my very first posting after wondering onto this site. After reading some of the great postings I will be back.

After reading this posting which I have had this problem before with email viruses I found to avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact in your email address book with the name !0000 with no email address in the details.

This contact will then show up as your first contact.
If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your pc will put up an error message saying that:

"The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail address."

You click on OK and the offending (virus) message would not have been sent to anyone. Of course no changes have been made to your original contacts list.

The offending (virus) message may then be automatically stored in your "Drafts" or "Outbox" folder. Go in there and delete the offending message.

The virus will not spread but remember it doesnt get rid of the virus if you already have it.
Cheers
Cammo.

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:45 pm

Mike,

I'm sure that it did not come from "Buck's" computer. Never received emails from him previously. Hmmm, as conspiracies go...ya never know !

Cammo - good to have you on board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: