Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Tarranty Question: Part II.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 2:11 pm
Post subject: A Tarranty Question: Part II.Reply with quote

Just a follow-up on the previous post. I suggested the two positions - firstly: endorsing Driver's age-old recommendation of playing Tarrant as CHB.

Secondly: I also suggested Ruck-rover, but few followed-up on that as an alternative. So what about Tarrant as a Ruck-rover? In 99, he played his best football on the ball, and obviously we lack - presently - another quality midfielder.

While Tarrant kicked 53 from Full-forward, you have to take into account that somebody like Nick Davis - playing with less opportunities and carrying an injury through most of the year - kicked 36 while on-the-ball. That's only 17 less than our key-position player.

So if Tarrant could kick the equivalent as an onballer and create further opportunities as a midfielder - opportunities currently not available due to our lack of quality players in the center - would it be worth playing him as a Ruck-rover?

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The AFL Ranting Board.
DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 4:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz never has never really played as a traditional on baller.
In 2000 he was getting kicks and taking marks as a drifting half forward flanker which was obviously a tactic to take pressure of the young man. I believe Richmond did a similar thing with Richo when he first came onto the AFL scene as a prodigious 17 year old. I disagree with the sentiment that we should use a 20 year who has come close to kicking over 100 AFL (Career)goals as a possible CHB or onballer.We all know how hard goal kickers are to find and develop and there is no disputing that Taz has all the attributes. I feel his development genuinely kicked off this year as he felt the pressure and on occasion did struggle to perform. Let me say and I'am sure most will agree its easier to be a backman then it is to be a goal kicking forward,hell midfielders are easier to find then capable forwards, which is why I think if Carlton play big Lance down back this year as purported they will absolutley shoot themselves in the foot...

And as for Nick Davis, again i disagree with the view that he played with less opportunity in the forward line.He was a genuine half forward flanker in the mould of a Brett Heady/Chris Lewis who in spurts find himself in some midfield action but ultimatley is being used as a short(-er)go to man in our forward line because of his ability to take a great grab.

As for our midfiled, sure we need another 'Quality' on baller and I feel this person will come from an A Didak/D Adkins/R Cole, even perhaps a H Scotland or a B Johnson.
Spend time in developing these guys who were drafted to this club for this very reason. Dont use a 'potential' goalkicking, matchwinning forward to be nothing more then effectively a stop gap in another position on the ground.

Give our Taz a chance, if he had kicked 10 more goals and hit the 60+ mark, as a twenty year old in the most high pressured role in the AFL, nobody would be suggesting we pack him up and move him to some other destination on the footy field.

Go pies
Louis

[This message has been edited by DaicosForever (edited 26 December 2001).]

Smike10 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 6:46 am

Daicos Forever you are making total sense.

Leave Tarrant to continue his main development as a forward
but not FF. He seemed to get scragged , pulled down or out-bustled by FB's and then get frustrated.
Let him have the space further upfield to tear defences apart with his pace and cause all sorts of mismatching headaches for opposing defences.

This setup should happen now with the old Pro Cummings at FF.

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 1:11 pm

With Nick Davis, I meant he was getting limited opportunities due to carrying injuries which usually saw him rested when a game was safe, (such as the match against the Beagles).

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The AFL Ranting Board.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 4:34 am

If Tarrant doesn't do a "runners" pre season he cannot play as a ruck rover for any extended period this year. He could in the longer play on ball but I don't think we need him there. Buckley, O'Bree and Lockyer have that and the centre and rover positions well covered with help from a few other quicker players. I'd also like to Nick Davis spend more time on the ball but he needs to get over niggling injuries.

Personally I would like to Tarrant on a wing and running between half back and half forward. He would provide a great long kickout target on the right side for Lonnie's left foot. With Adkins speed on the other wing and Buckley in the centre, they would make a great centre line aqnd good options coming out of defense.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:49 am

I agree with Daicos forever, as you all know by now ( ) I like Taz at FF, why move him?!? Cummings is NOT the answer at number 1 FF, simply because Tarrant is better!!

No longer do we have to make our good players fill gaps (ie. Brownie CHF) because we now have quality almost all over the ground. Leave Tarrant leading from the goalsquare, put Cumming there with him if you want, or Molloy, but that is where he is of most value to us, that is where he will kick a ton.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: