Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A KIWI TEAM

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:31 am
Post subject: A KIWI TEAMReply with quote

I have just had a ghastly thought.The NRL/ARL here in Sydney has just announced that the League draw will be out on December 8 ot 9,and that included Auscland having a bye.
What would the thought of having a Kiwi Aussie rules team.Would the AFL be in it would it be a waste of good Aussie time.
It seems to me that we have as many Kiwis in Aussie as Aussies in Kiwiland and they are supposed to be able to play all sport,(exceptions of cricket and league)
Any way any one got any comments to make on that topic and dont burn my computer

Catch you all later

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
helen a 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 11:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah theyre cool...xcept they're water smells

helen

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:30 pm

It would increase the costs too much. The competition is too expensive as it is let alone adding travel costs to Auckland. It would involve relocation of a team or merger and setting up a team from scratch - very devisive either way.

NZ is a ruby playing country - not an Aussie rules country. How would they go for crowds, sponsorship etc. Would they get a NZ TV contract?

I can't see many benefits but I can see a lot of practical difficulties.

Helen - does the water smell before or after they wash?
(at least it wasn't a sheep joke!)

[This message has been edited by MarkT (edited 14 November 2001).]
helen a 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:33 pm

before and after.....they're just beyond help

helen

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 8:47 am

Hey NZ may be a Rugby playing country,but so is Sydney,Brisbane and Melbourne,but we have still got Aussie rules.There seems to be no problems with expenses with ARL/NRL,but they are going broke any way.
I just thought that it may be something to poder over.
Catch you all later

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 8:47 am

Hey NZ may be a Rugby playing country,but so is Sydney,Brisbane and Melbourne,but we have still got Aussie rules.There seems to be no problems with expenses with ARL/NRL,but they are going broke any way.
I just thought that it may be something to poder over.
Catch you all later

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:02 am

Melbourne is not a rugby city - it's AFL first and foremost, rugby a long long 2nd, almost 3rd (behind soccer).

Brisbane has always had a strong football following as well as rugby - QAFL is quite strong.

Do we really need a NZ team when we don't ahve a tassy team - or a NT team - or a ACT team? surely there'd by more interest in these places than NZ.

Maybe after there's sucessful teams in all states that want them.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Player 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:46 pm

There are some large and obvious obstacles that would clearly prevent expansion into New Zealand.

First and foremost you would need somewhere in Auckland to play, anybody that has seen cricket played at Eden Park can vouch that the ground is more suited to rugby than cricket. I doubt also the bodies that run stadium in New Zealand would be less than supportive of another code using their precious resource.

"Minor" Sport in New Zealand tends to come in waves then dive off. Sport like basketball and rugby league show it is difficult to sustain enthusiastic crowds over several seasons. Certainly it would take a long term strategy, and major losses in the medium term, for the game to prosper.

Who knows who would go to watch, but I would budget for crowds of no more than 10,000. Other revenue streams for the club to survive such as corporate sponsorship and television rights would compare very favourably to existing clubs, but they would have to as setting up a social club like in Australia would be illegal. The Auckland Warriors do not have a social club, but having the t.v. rights over 4 million people is more than an adequate compensation.

Like the Aussie rugby league you would find that an awful team in Auckland is worth alot more to the game than a foundation team in Australia.

Rugby League boomed in New Zealand because of the Manly Sea Eagles building close ties to this country, and having a brilliant grand final live on free-to-air t.v. The best strategy for growth would want the same.

Obviously New Zealand lacks a Aussie rules infrastructure, and much effort would have to go into nuturing the game, also all playing talent would have to Australian, and the AFL would probably want some current players with ties to NZ to migrate here.

Mind you all rugby fans are bitching about how boring and one-sided domestic rugby is today, myself included. Outside the Super 12 and the All Blacks support for other rugby teams is soft, and crowds are dropping of.

A team is a mythical beastie well over the horizon, still the game in this country has probably never been stronger. The sport fan has a greater awareness of Aussie rules than ever, and would not be hostile to a team.

Still there is no way I would barrack for a team called the Auckland Kangaroos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: