Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I'm totally confused...please help

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 5:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the most complimentary posting I've read by you yet Rohan on the subject of recruiting.
I agree with most of it although I'm not too sure about some of
the players you think we should look at. Didn't we already have
one of the Houlihan brothers - was it Damian? I don't think this
one would be much better. Fletcher may be OK - although isn't one of him enough?
As for Tony Shaw, nothing will be gained by continually bagging
him. His time as coach is (thankfully) in the past, we have moved on.
I wore his number on my jumper when he played and I prefer
to remember the good things he did for the club, after all, he was a champion

Cyclops 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 5:50 am

We have improved our ladder position each year Malthouse has coached us. At the conclusion of each trade/draft period in that time independent commentators have noted the good choices made by our recruiters. More than half of the players recruited look like playing 50+ games for the club. Our off-field performance has stabilised and turned a profit-a rare thing for a Victorian club. Opposition coaches rate us as an emerging team with a big future. What is there to be depressed about?

If things go wrong:
There is only one thing that could really wreck 2002 for us-if Buckley was seriously injured. If he missed most of the year we would miss the finals in my opinion. Even then, we would have the basis for future success, so it would not be the end of the line.
If things stay the same:
Given natural development and improvement, and things pan out roughly like last year, then we will make the finals (7th or 8th).
If things go really well:
Just say we had no injuries at all, Scott Burns has a blinding year in the centre, Tarrant kicks 80, N Davis and Rocca kick 50 apiece, and Bucks finally wins the Brownlow. We would be looking at 4th spot, and could even win a final.

Personally, I'll be happy if things just go along like they have been. Steady improvement and solid building will give us a really good side in the long term.

Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 8:52 am

rohan... whats wrong? I actually read your post in its entirety expecting a complete bagging of all those associated at the club again however was pleasantly surprised and found myself saying yes good point, yep, hmmm ok i dont agree there but fair comment. good post.

The Zapper 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 11:50 am

Thanks for your reply Mark

Yes I agree recrutiting was shaky from the early 90's onwards. Williams Buckley and Presti being the pick of that period.

My point however is that Shaw as senior coach had the opportunity to fix it! He didn't. As for the strategy issue, I was making the point of the continual change in direction every year under his coaching reign. Whether or not he had the players is not the issue, it's sticking to your coaching beliefs. All he did was confuse our style of play so that in the end the team had no idea what the hell they were supposed to be doing.

I guess that illustrates the comparison with Matthews. Matthews built and developed a team, In 4 years from taking over in 1986 he had a flag flying at vic park. Shaw had a wooden spoon in his 4th year.

As I said earlier, I have nothing but the utmost respect for Shaw's playing record. As a player he can't be faulted. As a manager of men and a person who sets the direction of the team he let us down badly.

helen a 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 12:08 pm

well ya c, thats what i was TRYing to say

helen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: