Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grant Thomas does, why doesn't Mick

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would inhibit rather than promote discussion. It happened once before on this board with Rob Pyeman (just a little before my time) according to all sources.

This is for us, the barrackers. Sure it is a place of news gathering (after you filter out all the crap), and yeah occasionally an official from the club will post, but only on points of fact, as I recall, and not to open up a communication channel.

Officials should read and post as barrackers, and not as officials seeking self promotion.

Greg J
MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 12:08 pm

GregJ I don't disagree with you re a site like this. But perhaps better communication of the nature being discussed in this thread could occur via the official site. I can't see a downside.

Joffa, I don't much care what inferior opposition do either but I would still like us to assess propositions like this on their merits. I think it's a good idea in principle as lons as balance is maintained between what we are told v sensative information and re time devoted to us v running the club and managing the players. In other words, I like the idea but not if it is taken too far.

Mike I would be interested to hear your views as the moderator of this site and also as a supporter if they differ conceptually.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:38 pm

Well spotted Mark. I'm torn in two directions when it comes to high profile Club personnel using the Bulletin Board.

The part of me that runs the site and the Bulletin Board can't get enough of it - it's an ego trip and gives me a real buzz. But as a person who uses the board and values the community and relationships that have developed here, I worry about the effect that the presence of the big names might have.

Richard Stremski (not Robert Pyman Greg), then a Board member, was the first to find us and contribute on a regular basis. That was in 1997 and there was no official forum then, in fact there was no other forum at all, so this was the only avenue for that sort of interaction. Richard tried it, but he stopped when it became apparent that his presence was changing the nature of the board.

Surprisingly Eddie's presence hasn't had that affect, probably because his postings are infrequent and unpredictable. We do have some other high profile readers and posters, but they are not identifiable, Eddie is the only one who posts using an identifiable nick, so they don't artificially affect the nature of the forum.

As for Mick using this Bulletin Board or any other forum to keep us informed: I think it's important that you recognise the nature of the man - he is a very private person in a very public position. I don't believe that it is a priority for Mick to have personal contact with the Member/supporter base. My guess, and it's only my guess, is that he feels that he has a job to do with a team of footballers and that is his over-riding priority. Whether or not you think that we should be a priority for him, there are other people in the Club who are much better at PR who can relieve him of his responsibility to his public and talk to us.

Whether the official forum should be used rather than this or other unofficial boards is a moot point. As Eddie has said he goes where ever the fans are - shoulds and should nots don't come into it. The vast majority of fans use the unofficial forums, so if they are the ones that you want to find, then the unofficial forums are where you go. Follow the ratings.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 25 October 2001).]
MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 2:51 am

Thanks Mike - interesting and very sensible thoughts there.

So do I take that you know of other senior club people reding and even posting here under unidentifiable nicknames? If so I think that is a good thing - their posting and their anominity that is.

I think you are right about MM but I think he has also realised that the PR side of it is important too. That was a deficiency when he was WCE in my opinion but no loinger is. I presume that is due in part to Eddie. If there is one thing Eddie understands, it's the positive power the media can have if used correctly. IMO that is actually the most important thing Eddie can bring to the board after his undoubted passion for OUR CLUB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: