Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do players in collingwood jumpers need motivation ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:20 am
Post subject: Do players in collingwood jumpers need motivation ?Reply with quote

I know football has changed and its professional and all that stuff, but i believe all new players should take a course in our clubs history and heritage and so on, let me expalin i believe that if a player plays for collingwood and knows nothing about our past greats and our proud history and tradition how can they carry on the greatness, so to speak.

Or am i wrong to say that money might be the only motivating force in the game and this becomes very clear during this time of year when players no longer want to play with there existing club.....Let me quote an article i found in one of my books.

In the history of lost causes, none seemed more lost to Neil Mann than that of his beloved collingwood as they entered the 1974 finals fray in a state of shock.

A bewildering slump saw them lose top spot of the ladder and tumble to fifth as they lost there last three games of the season.
They were in a elimination final against footscray and heading for oblivion when Frank Galbally was called on to address the players.

His voice quivered with emotion as he sought to touch the sensitives of the team.
After warming up with an entreaty to win for the supporters and the club, he turned to to a demand that they put the club and supporters aside and do it 'for them selves'

The players were spell bound as he went up a decibel, 'its not as if you cant win.Thats rediculous.You know you can.Everybody knows you can.They just dont want us to.

They will use any argument, any excuse against collingwood, because they hate us.

They do not want us to be successful.You prove what you have proved to us all year- that you are the best side.
There are many other reasons why you should win, must win on saturday.If you have the guts, and i know you have.
Here is your president who has toiled his guts out for years for this club.This is his last year, isnt that good enough reason.
Are you going to leave him out out also? Are you going to leave everyone for dead?

There a re various degrees of determination,Determination means you will never give up on saturday, if you never give up , you will win.

Players bring us back some respect.Please bring collingwood back to where we belong.Bring yourselves back to where be belong- as a great side.

collingwood went out and tore footscray to pieces to win 19.10 to 6.19.

Im not knocking players at all but if i was ever good enough to wear the famous collingwood jumper i would never need a speech to fire up..as soon as i had the jumper on i would wanna knock the living crap out of any other person in other club colors.

i would be proud to be given the oppertunity to 'kill for collingwood' i would bleed in the process and happily so.

So i ask the question do players really need to be be psyched up before a game. I innocently ask this, isnt the jumper and tradition and passion from with in and its supporters enough?

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

[This message has been edited by magpie joffa (edited 21 October 2001).]

Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

joffa

The players probably shouldnt have to be pysched up before a game but I reckon if there was any doubt or ignorance in any of the players minds, there wouldnt be after listening to you!!! Give the Joffamaster a chance to show all those (especially the youngens and players coming from other clubs) just what it means to represent the mighty Collingwood Football Club, the pride they should have in themselves when they uphold this name and to see first hand how their endeavour in the black and white guernsey strikes hard at the thousands and thousands who bleed black and white but will never have the opportunity to show their loyalty on the field. Joffa for prematch address on behalf of the mighty magpie army!

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:06 am

Gents I hope this makes sense but we were debating player knowledge and the loyalty that comes from it the other day at work.

I'am of the opinion that the drafting process has totally eliminated that 'playing for the jumper' attitude that once exsisted within players.Sure there have been some Collingwood players who were champions that supported other clubs as kids but I feel if you can recruit a life long supporter of the club half your job is done. All those beliefs and values are already programmed into their minds from going to the footy and watching their Hero's.I tend to think putting these kids through familiarisation program of who and what we stand for may be futile if there is no pull from the old heart for the club.
My logic comes from the reasoning that if u pick up a kid from
Montmorency (as u could in the old system) or alternatively pick up a kid like Didak from Part Adelaide there is a good chance Didak may not have the love and passion that a kid from Montmorency has for Collingwood. Its speculating i know but whispers that Didaks is keen to go back to Port had me thinking.

Players(and clubs) these days show absolutley no loyalty and its a tradegy. Some of the older heads around can clearly make the distinction of what footy is today and what it was 20-25 + years ago whereas as kid these days thinks its normal for a player
to ask for squillions and for clubs to sell players at thr drop of a dime. Its done with such callousness these days!

I dont know maybey its always happend and the only difference that heightens it is that there is big dollars that abound today.

Footy needs a heart transplant cos a hell of a lot of loved values are dying if not already dead....

theres my whinge...

Louis

Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:56 pm

Daicos forever - I'm proud to say that you're right, most of footy does need a heart transplant, but Collingwood might be the exception.

Collingwood has the tradition and the spirit to instil fire into the hearts and souls of the players - maybe Joffa's right, maybe they need a histoy lesson if they didn't grow up barracking for us - look at some not-so-long-ago-past greats - Gavin Brown, when he attacked the ball diving on his knees in the path of a player running full belt at the contest, you know he wasn't doing it for the money. And would Buckley have stuck around for so long, with so much heart ache at missing finals, losing by low margins, taking less money than he could get at clubs like Freo and Port (when they offered in 1995 or whanever) if we didn't have something they don't?

It's the black and white passion, the loyalty, the spirit. The pride in the jumper is there, it may be that some players just need time to ajust to it, where as in the past as soon as the jumper (or any clubs jumper) was put on, the attitude changed.

Collingwood forever is not dead, I believe the players would run themselves into the ground for the club, and those that wouldn't may need a lesson in tradition.

What about it Joffa, want to write a two week course for new recruits on the history of Collingwood? Or should Dr Alf have that privelage?

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
the prez 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:41 pm

From what I've heard,coaches these days don't give the old passionate prematch speech b4 the players run out the race.these days its all about giving the boys their own space to focus & stuff b4 the start of the game.At Collingwood,MM usually addresses the team about 30 min prior to running out and then leaves them to their own thoughts.I spose you could say it's a more professional approach fromt he days when the coach would "fire up" just b4 the boys run out and the coach's words would still be ringing ion their ears as they ran out.It'd be great to go back to the old ways and bring the emotion back into it again.
Joffa why don't you try emailing Eddie about this idea as I reckon it has some merit.An educational program that teaches new recruits the history and passion of the Black & White would be a great decision and may prove vital in convincing players that this is the ONLY place to play footy.
And while they're at it,they should also teach them about dealing with managers.One thing that disappoints me a lot is the way players who claim to love their club and are important to their club continually allow their managers to hold their club to ransom to squeeze out a few extra bucks.Too often you hear managers saying this & that and making all sorts of threats but you never hear the player in question pull his manager into line and say "listen mate,I'm happy with that offer now stop the games already".You would think that a guy getting $450,000 over 3 years would be happy with that sort of money especially if its with his desired club so why bother chasing more bucks if it risks sending you elsewhere when you're happy where you are.These managers must brainwash their clients into thinking they're doing it for their own good.But who's good are they really doing it for?

GO WOODS

Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:47 am

You've gotta remember that the players have to think about their future too, Misiti might be happy with whatever Essendonds offering him for two years, but he might not get as much for his later contracts, and by then he'll be retiring, and he has to have saved up for that, cause he has over 50 years of his life left to pay for!!

Players have to make enough money to last them their lives cause footy is such a short carrer!

So while you would say 450 / 3 = 150 a year, after tax thats still a lot of money, but that for 3 years isn't going to set a player up for life.

Mich@el Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 9:16 am

Why should footy set up a player for life. Shouldn't they be pursuing other avenues afterwards, in another profession. Like Damien Monkhorst's pluming? Or Jim Stynes great youth work? And isn't the current regime under Malty designed to have the players futures well taken care of (through study etc) ?
Well everyone's thoughts on this topic have been interesting. Your comments, Brown26, particularly touched a nerve, mentioning Rowdy's style of play.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 10:44 am

Thankyou for your interesting comments Mich@el. However, I'm not sure what they mean!

What ever you think about it though, players can't work 8 hours a day 5 days a week anymore. They have midweek, mid day trainings. And lots of them. So they may be able to work, but they wont make enough to live off when their carears are over! Some of them do study - but it's bloody hard work! I want my players to bleed Collingwood, and I want them to work bloody hard on the training track, cause I want them to win a premiership. And that doesn't happen without hard work. So they can study, part time, work the equivalent of three days a week, that sort of stuff, maybe even buy a hotel if they're lucky (Daicos owns a couple of restaurants I think) But it's hard work.

I'm not sure what to read into your comments - whether you thought mine were particularly misguided and decidedly uninteresting, or if you just didn't like them because I mentioned how corageous a past great who I obviously am a fan of (read the nick) was.

We are all intitled to our own opinions, mine is that a good player is worth a fair bit of money so they can continue to put the effort in on the training track.

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:19 am

Like The Prez, I have heard that the usual pre-game gee up doesn't exist at AFL level anymore because of the professional approach. One problem with this is that since the under 9's this is what boys are taught is the match day routine.
Then it gets to AFL and it's all methodical and business like it goes against what has become almost an instinct.

I have always thought that if I was to try to get someone to play for Collingwood I would stand them in the centre circle at Vic Park and just walk around them telling them what the club was all about. Point to the goal square where 'Nuts' go his ankles kicked match after match. Point to the pocket where Daic's kicked goal after goal. Tell them to be a part of what is the best football tradition in the country. Really drill it into them for hours.

But...if this person grew up supporting Carlton or Port Adelaide Magpies or Claremont, I don't know that it would have any effect. It would work on me because I am already a Collingwood person, with a tattoo and the whole bit but for someone whose passion lies elsewhere I think another approach is needed.
Whether that is dollars or something else I'm not sure.

Sadly, I think a player just wants to play and if they aren't playing for the club the grew up loving then they don't care what club they are playing for. I'm not saying they won't grow to love that club (ala Peter Daicos) but it wouldn't be the same.
Ask yourself this, could you play with as much passion for Melbourne against Fremantle as you could for Collingwood against Carlton?

So Joffa, even though we would happily be knocked out for the sake of wearing a Collingwood jumper on the field of battle the answer to your topic question, on the whole, is yes.

I do agree that there should be a course in the club history. The exam should be taken in the centre square at Jock McHale stadium.

Premiers - 020310171927282930353653589003
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:44 am

Excellent stuff im enjoying reading all the replies.

I believe its time to turn the clock back a bit introduce a bit of old fashion passion (ive just discovered im a poet)

Seriously the season just gone was heartbreaking because i believed we had the talant to make a finals appearance.

I guess with football being what it is at present, players just want the best deal and to play there best football.

But gee, players must want to learn what it is to be collingwood they are representing an organisation that is loved so much by so many...when collingwood run onto the field it is not just another game of football.
The history of this club is overwhelming it was introduced in one of the poorest suberbs in melb, it has produced many champions and characters, and sadly we have had too much heartbreak and on one ocassion 11 years ago we stood as one on top of that mountain.

I want all players to love the club as we all do and players must understand the passion from within,The spirit of collingwood must be at all times be honored and respected.
Players must learn and understand our proud history to acknowledge past greats who would kill for collingwood from the triumphs of Jock Mchale to the heartbreak of bobby rose and to the elation of leigh mathews.

The history of collingwood must live on in modern day players without history we have no future.

To be given the chance to play with collingwood is so much more than wheeling and dealing and getting a kick on a saturday afternoon so to speak.

To play with collingwood is the greatest of all honor's and it should not be anything less.

We are something all them other bastards are not...WE ARE COLLINGWOOD.

Well i hope i havnt raved on too much and please dont think im bagging any one because im not, i love this club as much as you all do and i just want collingwood to return to greatness and i sometimes think modern football has become too modern.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:53 am

Maybe there's a doctoral thesis in this for you Joffa!

I think a lot of the players at Collingwood now WANTED to come to the pies...O'Bree, Molloy, Freeborn, Buckley etc.

I'm sure they are aware of the history of the club, and what it means to the supporters, and mich@els point about players having a life outside football (be it work or study) is something MM pushes I think.

The guys we have now have a real chance of adding a glorious chapter of their own making to the clubs history. I hope they take the opportunity!

the prez 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:56 am

The difference is Collingwood certainly leaves a lasting effect with players who have worn the jumper that you don't normally find with other clubs.Its something they don't pick up on when they're rookies but after a few years they certainly are more entrenched in the Magpie ways.Whether its guys like Molly,Licka,Tarks,Roop,Bucks who openly display their love for this club,guys like Rintoul,Holland,Steinfort who have learned a lot about football just by being here a short time or former players who didn't make it like Patto & Lee Walker who on the way out expressed what an honour it was to wear the B&W,theres no doubt that Collingwood certainly leaves a lasting impression on anyone who passes thru.It just takes a bit longer for some to be overpowered.Whether they're here for a minute or a lifetime they'll never forget their time at COLLINGWOOD.

GO WOODS

Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:29 pm

Joffa I want you to say that little speal round one next year from the cheer squad while our boys warming up - ohhh puts hairs on the back of my neck.. lol

And I definately agree with (where is) Kent Butchers comments - you're looking at the start of what could be one of the most feared, most loved and most hated dynasties in football - a few premiersips before 2010 will pull the tradition back!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: