Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie McGuire promises you the world and gives you an Atlas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuire, Greg Swan, Noel Judkins and Neil Balme were part of a group that looked at potential trades and acted on them. Thats were the balme weighs.

On the Misiti deal, this post was posted by Jack on Hotrods Bulletin Board. Very interesting.

Quote:

If Essendon weren't satisfied with the deal and pulled out then I can accept that.
If Uncle Buck and his cohorts decided to take Essendon to the wire and expected them to buckle at the last minute then I'd be disappointed. If that was the case and all it took to get the deal over the line was a low draft pick or some dud then I'd consider calling for Uncle's head for failing to get the deal done.

If what happened is what I suspect happened, and that is that Uncle Buck decided to take Essendon to the wire assuming the AFL would grant another 15 minutes, then Uncle Buck has to go.

The problem with all this is that if Eddie sacked one of his appointments then it would be an open admission of making a mistake, something I doubt Eddie is prepared to do. Therefore I would expect this whole episode to be swept under the carpet.

Unquote.

In Skob We Trust

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:18 pm

Rohan,

I could put a spin on that which reverses what you copied into your post.

For example.....
"Essendon Played hardball right to the very last minute KNOWING that the AFL wouldnt extend the deadline like they have in the past, therefore leaving Misiti to take a big chance in the pre season draft with Freo or St.Kilda or get him and others to take a forced paycut to fit him into their salary cap." Therefore they now get to keep a $400k player for $300k or wherever he fits in.

Just as interesting as the story you copied into your post

So I wouldnt place any credence on what was posted without any confirmed sources and assuming you dont know the person who posted that, why would you beleive him???

Cheers

Dillo

[This message has been edited by dillo_09 (edited 10 October 2001).]
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 9:52 am

I enjoy reading most of Member's posts.

I too can understand his frustration at not being able to trade for the players we need. My initial reaction was disbelief, but it was soon tempered with the realisation that an appropriate deal (for us) could not be struck, and trading for tradings sake may not necessarily be in the best interests of the club.

I, for one, are glad that we did not cave in to other clubs demands, but are content to see just who is released for the next drafts.

Greg J
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:06 am

For Christ's (I mean Eddie's) sake, Rohan, you can not assume Eddie is not Collingwood enough, to bite the bullet, admit he made a mistake, rectify it, and push on.

I would expect Eddie to metaphorically fall on his own sword if his actions were found to be seriously detrimental to Collingwood. One missed trade MAY be detrimental (in the short term), but it has not even been established that it was a missed trade! Let alone that it was a detrimental missed trade.

Greg J
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:36 pm

Frakly I don't think Misiti would be that good for Collingwood. He's older, slower and more injury prone thatn he was at his best - which was bloody good, don't get me wrong - but I think he'd be restricted to the forward line due to lack of pace, and we don't need him there, on his money, for the price it would've cost in players.

Also, Essendon weren't gong to trade for nothing, and they probably thought they could get a good deal from Collingwood, tehy reate him higher than we do etc. So they probably asked for a LOT, hoping we'd give it to them, like trying to sell a rusty old car for what it was worth when you bought it new.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
woodsman 90 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:08 am

Ongoing isn't it!!!!
well junk boy if you read why i wrote it, you would have noticed i was doing to them what they did to him, in other words what i wrote was secondary to the points that were made, but if you want to argue the points well, allow me to apologize, 1 lost prelim, 1 losing season, (your words not mine), well that really is best coach going around sorta stuff (NOT!!!!!!)

RE.what would playing have to do with an opinion, gee i don't know, might have something to do with your knowledge of the game, and how estensive it is (eg. i played as a midfielder, i would think i am better equipped to remark on that than say, CHF FB ect..

but as i said, i did to them what they did to him, now you do to me what i did to them, which intern forces me to reciprocate.
viscous circle hey???

Cyclops 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:06 am

There are a couple of ways of looking at Eddie: either he's a true Collingwood person basically out to do the best for the club, or he's a dodgy businessman using the club to promote his own interests.

My own view is that the former is true-remember, from when he was a no-name office boy at channel ten he has been an insane Magpie man. But even if I'm wrong and he's actually an big-noting Elliot clone in disguise, it doesn't matter.

If he's true Collingwood, he'll do his best for us to succeed, in the long term. If he's a parasite living off the clubs name, he wants the club to succeed long term for maximum value to him.

One thing's for sure, he's an astute and extremely succesful media figure. He MADE the footy show (if he didn't have that twit Newman there it would be some other disgraceful clown to pull ratings). Now he's our president, the show is a free advert for the Pies every week. That's such a huge incetive for sponsors.

Some people think the footy show is crap, and it goes too far, but it nevers goes so far that people stop watching-in fact it out-rates all the old Chnl 7 shows WITHOUT A SCRAP OF AFL FOOTAGE.

I don't think anyone in their right mind could doubt McGuire's ability as an operator-he gets thing done. As for his motivations, well either way, he'll do his best for the club. Just compare him with St Kilda. Sure Eddie promotes the club, but he doesn't drop Butterrs/Elliot style clangers or make ridiculous promises. He doesn't sack coaches after half a season: the Shaw resignation was done as well as such a painful process can be.

I don't think he's silly enough to tinker with the footy side of things, and I can't see strong characters like Malthouse and Balme putting up with interference.

My opinion is that Eddie is nothing but good for the club, and we will reap the fruits he has sown. No-one can guarantee a flag, but he'll give our club every possible chance to succeed.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:17 am

Anybody who doubts what Eddy means for the club should have a close look at St Kilda.

Sacked coaches, board room coups, recruiting duds for short term gain.....

There, but for the grace of Eddy......

Any year we beat Carlton is a good year
Scottie Davo 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 8:18 pm

Mark Dillon. (member 1738),

Who the hell are you to advise Member or anyone else for that matter that we (being the collective club...not you) 'do not want you as a member).

Now that is trash talk.

Anything controversial or inflammatory that Member writes pales against your self asserted notion that you can pick and choose the desired members of this Club.

More members-not less.

You are either Collingwood or you are not.

As I read on he has gone through his fair share of ups and downs-give him the respect that all fellow pie supporters deserve.

Please think before you type.

Cheers.

The future is black and white.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: