Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor - The Bad, The Ugly and the occasional Good.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding signs and working out in the open is dangerous hence the penalty rates.

"Father of four Timmy Rakei, 44, was working as a traffic controller in the Melbourne suburb of Carrum Downs on the morning of November 9, 2021, when he was struck by a car that had allegedly failed to heed reduced speed signs"

2023 - Peter Dyck was working outside his ute on the Eastern Freeway in Clifton Hill just after midnight when he was allegedly hit by a driver. The Australian Workers' Union's Jade Campbell told media today the father's death was "completely avoidable". The father from Boronia was taken to hospital but later died.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Geez, you've put a spin on it with that last para.

The world is full of boring jobs and there's plenty of people who are happy to park their brain when they go to work and get their fulfillment elsewhere. Not everyone wants intellectual stimulation in their job, some just go there to get money to fund what they get enjoyment from.

Those Journo's you disparage will have likely been to uni and are seeking a career in journalism which again is not for everyone. There's no need to look down at anyone because of their career choices with possible exception for political staffers. Wink

I have lots of time for journalists and think many do great work, just not the ones who work for The Herald Sun – they can get in the bin. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:16 pm

^

I'll give you Robbo, otherwise they're not bad. Cool

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:25 pm

The money is if you are a CFMEU member and can get the good gigs on CFMEU run construction sites, most traffic control gigs are shit money and shit work. The construction sites are also far easier work than most traffic gigs, you only have to actually be on the bat once every hour or so. I always enjoyed the gas gigs as they’d usually be a road closure, so close the road and sit around all day!

When I did it you could work anywhere in Melbourne, but your days started and ended at the on site, no pay for the travel to and from. So good days when working 5 minutes from home, shit days when starting at 7 am in Footscray.

But the hourly rate is the same as I’m on now, but my current job doesn’t have the same penalty rates all the time, but we can get them for incidents so yes overall traffic control probably paid better if you did a full week every week, but the conditions sucked. Or be willing to do night shifts and that paid really good money, but Skids knows that isn’t worth it!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:40 am

Whilst I sit in my cushy office or work from home where my main concern is having coffee and high-speed internet available. I have no concern about what someone on a worksite is earning. I don't read that Viewpaper. However, I used to get day-old copies for my dog to pee on which I found it was perfect for. Now I don't have a dog there are no copies here.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:21 am

The best thing going for Albo is Potato Head. The Dunkley results so far are a predictable swing to the Liberals. What wasn't predicted was a slight swing to the ALP and a major swing against the Greens. It was like the far-left vote went to the far-right. The NOaltion has a lot more work to do.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:00 am

^ that's better news. Maybe people are waking up to the fact that The Greens are the cause of misery.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:30 pm

Wow - here comes Labor to silence free speech. AnAl wants to control every part of your life.

AnAl wants to get rid of misinformation in Elecotral Advertising....does promising Stage 3 tax cuts and then reneging qualify as misinformation.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:19 pm

The devil may be in the detail here, and perhaps it's good to be wary regardless, but I don't particularly like that political parties and lobby groups can currently spread lies with impunity – I don't see what that has to do with the principles of free speech. And I think there is an important distinction to be made between a lie and a broken promise. The key question, of course, is who gets to decide what is a lie and what isn't.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:25 pm

We don't have a "right" to free speech like the USA so I have no issue with Politicians and bureaucrats who tell blatant lies being held to account, but I would like to see details of any proposed legislation.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:59 pm

It's not a lie if you believe it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:13 pm

Yep. And how can it be proven that you don't? That's the challenge.

Still, if anything can be done about the Clive Palmers of the world, I'd welcome it ... as long as there are no significant unintended consequences. That's what needs to be scrutinised carefully here, imo.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

Good Luck with that. When at a conservative 30% of voters are prepared to believe in conspiracy theories, it isn't gonna happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: