Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nineteenth Hole

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday golf is going well, 9 holes only but have hit 45 the last 3 weeks. Seriously not far from putting it all together and breaking 40! It seems I'm consistently failing on 3 holes per round. Easy fix I hope.

Having trouble finding a 30 degree hybrid which will sought my 110-90 metre issue out. I'm not willing to spend $250 plus on a club though.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:55 pm

Played 9 holes this morning. I thought I'd cracked the code at the driving range but someone updated the software and the code wasn't working. The only drive I got straight resulted in a par, just missed the birdie putt by a bees dick.
Otherwise, real mixed bag. Just going to need to keep going out. If I can get it to work at the range, it will work on the course, just need to persevere.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:48 am

Another 45 yesterday for 9 holes. That's 4 times in a row!! Actually played fairly ordinary. The dam will break soon!!
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:37 pm

Pretty bizarre, another round today, another 45. Playing again tomorrow and Friday, see what happens.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:53 pm

Played the first 9 of the Presidents course at Tocumwal this morning.
Fvck me, I don't think I've ever played that shit. 64 not counting all the lost balls.
Looong course, that 9 has 2 par 3's, 3 par 5's and 4 par 4's and the par 4's are long ones.
Walked the course and even playing shit, managed to pass the 3 guys in front of me who were in buggies.
Driver was slicing, hybrids were hooking, the only fkn stick I could hit straight was the 5 iron.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:37 pm

^^That's golf, surely there was one shot that will get you back? Razz
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:05 pm

Yeah Stui, those border courses have colossal lengths, I'd struggle big time with some of those par 4's and 5's.

I played again today. Hit a 48 which included a disaster hole of 10!!!! Actually played ok, staying positive. Ready for Friday arvo.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 pm

Culprit wrote:
^^That's golf, surely there was one shot that will get you back? Razz

The 8th. I arrived at the tee and then moments later the guys I'd been following showed up in their buggies. They got lost.
They told me to tee off as they'd been holding me up anyway.
Par 3, 160m from memory. The hybrids weren't working so I pulled out the 5 iron and flushed it dead straight to finish just short of the green. I should take an audience with me on all holes. Wink
Ended up with a 4 because I duffed my first chip but nailed the second and tapped in.

And yeah, Bruce, it's a looong course. The par 5's are around 500m and the par 4's, well some of them would be par 5's in Melbourne suburban courses.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:27 am

Had a cracker of a day yesterday. The final hole and I am on 91 and facing the par 4 going up the hill. On the green in 2, missed the birdie put (I choked) and got a par. I am now using my M1 Hybrid a lot more now and it's making a world of difference. It used to sit in the bag as I couldn't hit it. Now it's my go-to club, I may start trying to hit my fairway driver a lot more now. Shocked Laughing
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:05 pm

100% Culprit, hybrids are just the best. I hit my 4 hybrid consistently well with a bit of left to right.

Hit a 44 today which included an 8 on the difficult 5th hole. Smashed a birdie home on the following hole with an 8 metre putt off the putting surface. So nearly did the same on the last hole only for it to finish next to the hole. Great day indeed!!
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:46 pm

Had an up and down round this morning, but happy with a 45. Three pars and a birdie. I suppose I should mention the 8 and 9. If only I didn't have those holes!!!

Weather was the best.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 pm

i've been avoiding going to golf for a bit, since I decided to try to improve my game it's been triggering anxiety reactions and I just didn't enjoy it.

Up in Toc for a few days, beautiful sunny weather, got all the jobs done before lunch today, so decided to go out for a hit. Had a good talk to myself first, just relax and anjoy and don't get frustrated and if you want to, we can walk off at any time and go to the bar.

First tee, driver, straight down the middle. Very Happy Only shot I flushed for the day. Got the yips for a couple of holes when I had an old couple in a buggy suddenly right up my arse, but I told them to play through and settled down.

Ended up shooting 58 for 9, but 2 holes when I was jittery contributed a 10 and an 8 so overall enjoyed myself. The course has lovely fairways, it would have been nice to play on them, but the good part was I didn't lose a single ball and just about perfected my 2 iron recovery shot when I'm in the rough under trees. Cracked one 130m onto the green and went no more than 3 feet off the ground

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:27 pm

geebus....why are you carrying a 2 iron? You'd want to be a low handicapper (under 4) to have a 2 iron in the bag.

Your longest iron should be a 5 iron. Have hybrids all the way down to 3 and then a 5 wood.

Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3H, 4H
Irons 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, and then, assuming the PW is 48 degree, 52 and 56

Add a putter and that's your 14 clubs

Ball should be a low compression ball - Titleist TruSoft, Srixon Softfeel, Callaway Supersoft.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 am

I carry the 2 iron for when I'm under trees to get back on the fairway, but gain some distance in the process. 5 iron has too much loft.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 am

Unless you're also using the 2i in standard play, standing forward i.e. backfoot in line with the ball, grip down on anything lower than a 6iron closing down face will give you better leverage and the same result. Particularly given you rarely get to take a natural stance or swing under trees.
Majority of golfers rarely set up correctly to use the clubs natural loft. That's why distance control becomes so variable. Closed faces, open faces, hands leaning club too far forward or behind the ball. Results in +20% variability in distance.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: