Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grand Final #4 - 2002

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Boot, although I'm not sure that Anthony Rocca's suspension was as crucial as you (and many others) make out. Yes it upset our structure, but we were thrashed, never in it.

As a side-note, after the game Mick Malthouse was scathing of the team and was at his churlish best (or worst). Jason Cloke had been selected at full forward to replace Rocca. He had a dirty day. Malthouse quipped that Jason Cloke had played better in the 2002 Grand Final, when Jason had not even played. Nice!
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:23 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Well put Boot, although I'm not sure that Anthony Rocca's suspension was as crucial as you (and many others) make out. Yes it upset our structure, but we were thrashed, never in it.

As a side-note, after the game Mick Malthouse was scathing of the team and was at his churlish best (or worst). Jason Cloke had been selected at full forward to replace Rocca. He had a dirty day. Malthouse quipped that Jason Cloke had played better in the 2002 Grand Final, when Jason had not even played. Nice!

Ha, That reported comment of Mick Malthouse to Jason Cloke at the end of the 2003 Grand Final was the worst of Malthouse and I always wondered just what Jason Cloke did to warrant his fall from grace after being quite a star playing off the HBF or Back Pocket so well in 2002?
Whilst Jason Cloke was a very solid defender in 2002, he was never a key forward so I think in hindsight it was a dumb move to try him there in the Grand Final, albeit that the options were very limited with Anthony Rocca being suspended so our key forwards consisted of Tristen Walker and Jason Cloke...hardly the keys that we wanted to take into a Grand Final.

Interestingly the lack of an inform Jason Cloke in the 2002 Grand Final, due to suspension arising from a misdirected round-arm spoil to the Adelaide midfielder, Tyson Edwards, was a significant loss at the time that contributed to Collingwood being beaten by a rampaging Brisbane in 2002 as Jason Cloke was very good that 2002 year in providing strong defensive pressure and his strength off the half back line was greatly missed in that 2002 grand final.
I think Jason Cloke fell out of Malthouse's favor after 2002 and in my opinion was often played out of his optimum position of HBF where he'd done so well in 2002.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:34 pm

I often heard David and Julie Cloke were the main reasons Malthouse fell out with the family et al. Wasn't there a time when Julie walked onto the training track to remonstrate with MM? Or something of the like.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:45 pm

James Clement was an underrated player who retired prematurely after the 2007 Preliminary Final. In 2002 when Jason Cloke was suspended Clement had to be moved further back and we missed his run and long kicking from HB.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:59 pm

^ Underrated outside of the Club maybe, but I don't think you wouldn't find one CFC supporter who didn't rate him. Could have been a Captain of our Club.
As far as a backman, as good as we've had in 50 years. Prestigiacomo type reliability.
I thought if he was offered the captaincy at the end of 2007, he might have reconsidered and led us through the re-build. Not surprising he put family first.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:51 pm

Laurie I think his wife was ill so he was probably never going to stay. At the end of that Prelim Final (we would've won that flag) as the boys left the ground after a heart-breaking 5 points loss, James Clement waved to the crowd. I didn't realise he was waving goodbye. Yes, he was an excellent player.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:49 pm

^even without Buckley? While Port were bad, without Bucks you have to wonder.
I was in the stands that night, I remember Bucks punching the ground after his hammy went late in the game.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:19 am

2007 was a bit like 2002. We had a good side which came up against a better side. This time, instead of Brisbane we faced Geelong. Of course, you can never tell these things but Port was so insipid in the Grand Final that I'm sure we would've beaten them, even without Buckley.
Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:41 am

Harrysz wrote:
2007 was a bit like 2002. We had a good side which came up against a better side. This time, instead of Brisbane we faced Geelong. Of course, you can never tell these things but Port was so insipid in the Grand Final that I'm sure we would've beaten them, even without Buckley.

Yes, 2007 was so very nearly the Premiership that fell into our laps. If only Josh Fraser's dicky knee hadn't caused us to rely on an inexperienced Guy Richards in the ruck which allowed Brad Ottens to dominate for Geelong then Collingwood would almost certainly beaten Port Adelaide in the following weeks Grand Final, even without Buckley.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: