Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I just got warned by BigFooty

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hitman 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 8:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Mike.

I am only 16, but I am an aspiring sports journo ( so if Eddie see's this, you can always chuck me a PM ), so I always try to look at things from an independent point of view.

That's why this whole Trent Croad thing amuses me. Also, the whole 'Joffa vs. FJD' and 'Collingwood vs. BigFooty' war just annoys the crap out of me.

Collingwood supporters have just as much right to be on BigFooty as I or anybody else does, but it goes both ways.

It seems that the Collingwood folk (some...not all, and that is another frustrating thing is) get way too defensive, to the point of abuse if you say ANYTHING that isn't positive about your club.

I know that Joffa bagged Hawthorn leading into the finals series, and when we got close to beating Essendon congratulated us. But Collingwood folk have an 'us against the rest' mentality, which they thinks it isn't 1 on 1, that it is 15 on 1.

This is not the case.

Until BOTH PARTIES see that it is both their faults, not just one or the others, it will never be resolved.

This is not a black and white problem...there is plenty of grey in between...

The Hitman

"I come in peace..."

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 8:23 am

100% correct Hitman, except for the shades of grey, but I'll come back to that.

Collingwood people are born knowing that you're either Collingwood or you're not - that's it. So that makes it 15 on 1 - or rather 1 on 15. Collingwood fans (excuse me while I generalise) also tend to see BigFooty as a BigOuter and anything that goes in the outer goes at BigFooty. That includes team abuse which is part of the outer culture, but does not include personal abuse which happens in both places, but is unacceptable.

As for the shades of grey, I think you forget where you are - there's no such thing, there's only black and white.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 8:07 pm

G'day Hitman.

My memory is a bit shot so I'm not sure if I've ever been involved in a full on sledging match with you or not. I know after our last loss to Hawthorn I went on a king-hitting spree over there at BigFooty but, if so, it was nothing personal. Just a good healthy Collingwood reaction to a loss.

That would have been the O'Farrell thing ... "At least we did SOMETHING." Yeah. It's coming back to me now. Not one of my better moments, I must say. I know a lot of people found my comments extremely offensive. And sometimes I set out deliberately to offend. Because defeat really produces a state of mind highly conducive to the exploration of the darker side of my personality. And it's in this frame of mind that I often make enemies ... the sort of enemies that are never able or willing to forgive.

There's actually a few people over at Bigfooty who have become bitter enemies who I kind of wish weren't bitter enemies.

But then there's the FJD types ... the multi-named lowlives who live to abuse. I'm not sure if it's really Collingwood they hate or whether it's just that they are the sort of people who seek out the easy target. And I guess a Club that hasn't made the finals for a few years and has a long history of heartbreak is always good for a cheap laugh, just like people with disabilities or whatever.

The sheer injustice of that type of bigotry (for there is really no other more appropriate word for it than "bigotry") can get right under my skin if I let it. I can ignore it for weeks on end and be feeling much better for not buying into it ... but I only have to slip up just once and it's on again ... and the same old stuff keeps getting regurgitated.

I've made a couple of "retirements" from BigFooty in the last few weeks. But of course, it's human nature to want to know what people are saying about you when you're not around, so I always come back to the site and read what's being written in my absense. I also find that surprisingly little is being said about me.

Eventually something happens that I feel very strongly about and I can't help but post again. The bombings in New York and Washington brought me out of retirement for a couple of days a while back and I put the same level of venom into my hatred of America as I put into my condemnation of whichever club has most recently beaten Collingwood. In doing so, I angered another lot of people who saw me as insensitive to the suffering that was happening in front of our eyes. So again I disappeared from BigFooty "forever" ... only be lured back out of retirement by the sickening sight of all these people jumping on the "Fitzroy" bandwagon. Again, a new lot people started baying for my blood.

It gets tedious very quickly ... hence my tendency to disapper from Bigfooty now and then.

Anyway ... welcome, Hitman.

There have been a few rival barrackers who've been able to contribute constructively on this site and it's often very interesting to know what some of the less bigoted opposition supporters are actually thinking about us. I just hope some of our more ... shall we say ... "parochial" posters show you the respect you deserve for coming to this site "in peace".

**floreat pica**

The Hitman 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:36 am

I don't hold grudges Alf...so we are cool.

I do remember your thoughts on many a subject Alf...and although I do think the anti-American comments were in bad taste, I am of the belief of free speech.

I understand the problems of FJD and all that, but Collingwood fans seem to expect one side to stop. In reality, it is BOTH SIDES PROBLEM AND FAULT.

If you take the bait, you will get caught, and too many Collingwood folk on BigFooty take the bait. I know I'd rather see FJD and his many alias's go home without a fish...

The Hitman

"I come in peace..."

Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 4:17 am

Collingwood are the most hated club in the whole world. We know it, we wouldn't want it any other way. But when other people get personal, that's when the attacks go to far. To say you hate Collingwood is one thing, but to cross the line and start personal attacks.... I can see how some people get very defensive very quickly when they are being personally attacked by people they don't even know!!

Having said that, I dont really give two hoots what anyone says, Collingwood are giong to rock next year and other supporters can't stand it! Hence the increased abuse of Collingwood, leading to increased abuse of Collingwood supporters, leading to personal attacks on forums such as big footy, leading to big footy losing all credibility and Collingwood fans coming to real sites like this one.

I agree both sides have to accept responsibility, but there is a difference between taking the bait thrown by other supporters, and being abused. I was on Big Footy the first time the otehr day - to see what Alf and Joffa go on about - and couldn't believe what I saw. 3 of the ten posts were aobut kicking off Joffa, and they used much more colouful language than that. That's wrong. No matter what you say, that's wrong.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 8:55 am

The reason I brought this topic up in the first place was because I was punished for doing something that others (FJD mainly) had done much more often and got away with. That shows, beyond doubt, that the mods of that site are very biased against Collingwood, which is what I am angry at. The vast majority of people on that site are very good to talk to, but until the moderators become consistent in dealing with the stuff I posted, for example, that site will be a shambles.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie

[This message has been edited by daicos4ever (edited 03 October 2001).]

[This message has been edited by daicos4ever (edited 03 October 2001).]
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 8:59 am

Well my last post on this subject was probably a little severe so i will try and make sense in this one.

At times i think i may be too passionate when it comes to collingwood but each year my passion for this great club intensifies, when i say i love the collingwood football club its not a throw away line.

To me collingwood besides emma who i love dearly, is the second most important thing in my life and to be honest i wouldnt want it any other way.

I quickly discoveed in life that being collingwood can make you a most hated person and sometimes it hurts to have your pesonality judged simply because your a collingwood supporter.

Believe you me there a lot of people out there who HATE all things about collingwood and its people.

Death doesnt scare me but i will be pissed off when i croak it because it will end my association with this great club.

I will always defend collingwood and its people beacuse its the way i am , i do have trouble not responding to criticism delivered to collingwood. Collingwood is like family to me and when some one persoaally attacks a family member WATCH OUT.

I know im an easy target for personal abuse and hatred because they know i will respond but let me tell you i grew up the hard way, i got personal when i was a youngster to a carlton supporter and i got the biggest back hander from dad who then proceeded to tell me ' its ok to sling off at the club but never sling of at the person' it was a great backhander as in it taught me it was ok in fun to knock the shit out of any opposition club but always know where the line is.

I have trouble and i find it hard copping personal abuse and it hurts because its something i dont and wont participate in, so i believe what gives these people the right to do so because i am collingwood.

From the day i saw dad cry like a baby when collingwood lost a grand final when i was a youngster i became collingwood.

Im proudly collingwood and always will im so proud to say that in my lifetime i may not have many material things but i have something every one on nicks board has, and what other people crave for..I have love for the greatest football club in the world OUR collingwood football club.

And i aint gonna sit back and let social losers think its there right to bag me and emma because we are collingwood.

If i sound extreme or over the top i will not apologise.

Im collingwood and to all them bastards that cant handle that GET STUFFED.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

BigFooty.com 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:22 am

I'm just wondering Daicos - did you get a warning or did you get booted off? I have spent a LOT of time tracking down and wiping out user names of people like FJD, Karl and Matty (The Abuser, 9th Tiger etc). The rules on BigFooty are simple and well known - keep it civil, keep the language clean. It isn't the outer, though there are constant attempts to make it that way.

FJD didn't 'get away with it'. He is booted every time he shows his face, as are about three other individuals. You haven't been booted, nor has anyone suggested that you should.

Just because a post isn't wiped or someone stays on the board longer than they should does not mean we agree with that person or the messages they post. It usually means we have not had time to get around to investigating complaints about them, or sometimes it means that no one has actually made a complaint and so we have no idea what is going on. We ain't gods. Just guys and girls who spend our spare time doing an unpaid, usually thankless task. Many hundreds of posts every day is a tough ask for 15 part-time, unpaid moderators.

It seems that we get regular cries (and NOT just from Collingwood supporters) for crack-downs on the abusive trouble makers. Then when someone feels they are being unfairly warned they spit the dummy and act worse than particular trouble makers ever would.

Just take it on the chin and get back into it, or, as you have decided to do, leave the board.

As for the claim that someone released address details - we do not even COLLECT address details. IF (and I have never seen proof) someone spilled the beans, the information they passed on was from some other source. Try registering and you will see that address information is not collected at any stage. Ever. We don't ask for it, we don't want it. I think there is a 'location' field but that is shown under your name every time you post anyway. Hardly top secret info.

Mags: I appointed you a moderator at one stage. That job entails holding yourself above pettiness and trying to promote civil conversation. Yet some of the stuff I have seen you say to other people in the chat room was plain disgusting. Not even worth repeating. I asked you on a few occasions to keep a lid on it, you always agreed, then you were back at it a week later - every time.
You also took it upon yourself to delete posts from the main boards that were in any way anti-Collingwood. Without asking, without mentioning that you were doing it.

Alf you usually contribute well, but sometimes your message(s) got removed or modified because they were just too over the top. You usually agreed with our decisions. I went through hell trying to ensure that you got to say your piece about the American situation. Even lost a couple of previously valuable members.

Joffa: 'Low-life Collingwood hating scum'? That's a bit of a personal remark? And you are generalising it over a thousand or so people. Sorry mate but I have stuck up for you on NUMEROUS occasions, only to have you throw it back in my face at the slightest opportunity. An apology might be in order.

The number of warnings we send out is NOT disproportionately to Collingwood supporters. You guys (hardly ever see Collingwood girls in BF) get warnings along with everyone else. Sometimes they are fair, sometimes they are a bit off. But the mods are only human.

[This message has been edited by BigFooty.com (edited 04 October 2001).]

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:44 am

Adrian or Bluey

I have the greatest respect for yourself and the work you do my remarks were not directed towards yourself.

Your site has been ruined by the all time social loser by the name of FJD and he still contributes your site under many other names.

Where is my apology from your moderators who are failing to do there job.

Why is it sometimes topics from myself are simply deleted topics that are not abusive or persoanl and yet so many collingwood topics full of abuse and sleaze are left on the boards.

The topic in there recently directed at a collingwood players wife was disgusting and shows where your site is headed it was reported but not removed.

You have moderators who have befriended the aliases created by FJD, the fact that moderators dont get paid is not worth the effort of reminding myself once again.They have resposibilities tell them to pull there heads in.

The fact is the moderators have let you down your site has no guidelines whatsoever it seems fair to publicly humiliate all collingwood people but how dare the collingwood people even think its fair to dish it back.

Your guidlines should be bag the crap out of opposition clubs and even at times post something intelligent but never ever cross the line and become personal,and players families should be a strict no no.Any one who crosses these lines be expelled for good.

Your chat room should be shut down urgently and immediately this is the place where all this has originated from,its only ever full of sleaze and skanks scheming and caniving to seek retribution.

You say FJD has been banned from your site well what the heck is he doing in your chat rooms.

You say we are all treated equal then why all the anti collingwood hating scum topics remain on your boards ?

I have about 20 names on my ignore list how come the moderators are not aware when this creep FJD comes along under a new user name.

So instead of wanting to reply like a little nose out of joint school child why wont you listen.

Stop sticking up for your moderators who are clearly letting you down come on mate your site was good but there is no balanced control in there any more.

Your site without collingwood people would cease to be a site very quickly and you know it.

And i will go back because i am not letting them social losers think they have won by myself or other collingwood people walking away.

Its up to you to remove the garbage and believe you me there is still plenty of it in there.

Thanks mate
joffa

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:02 pm

I got a "no more chances" warning, which I felt was rough considereing it was the first time I have ever stepped out of line. Yet there are some repeat offenders, which is why I am disappointed.
It is good of you too come onto this site and clear this matter up. Thank you.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
BigFooty.com 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:38 pm

Joffa you don't ever seem to listen. How on EARTH are any of us supposed to know when someone whose identity we do not even know signs up using a hotmail address?

The only time we can see what that person is like is when they post. The method they often use is sign up under a name, pour in as much abuse as possible and then cry foul when they are booted. We cannot and will not read every post. If they are reported they are dealt with. If we see them, they are dealt with.

I booted two users off today, in fact.

If they are reported and there is no action then it may just be
possible that we felt that no action needed to be taken.

Now, if there is ONE SINGLE POST left on BigFooty that hooks into you or your family in a personal or abusive manner, report it to me and it will be dealt with. They almost ALWAYS are.

As for identity - who are you kidding magpie greg? If you sign up under multiple names and you get found out, big deal. That is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. The moderator was unwise to do it, but it is hardly a federal crime. You claimed, however, that your address details were released. That was totally false wasn't it?

As for the anti-Collingwood feeling, maybe it arose in some small part from the actions of certain people who arrived there when Nicks was closing down? Posts in the vein of "We are going to take over this board so everyone else can f* off?" It should have been forgotten by now, but some people have long memories and not much time to do anything but regurgitate old garbage.

Joffa your posts lately have not varied much from a format of quoting someone else's post and writing 'shut up you loser' at the end of it. What do you expect people to do? Praise and thank you for your erudite contribution??

Now there is any easy way to solve this if you should venture on to the big bad BigFooty.com: Report offensive posts. Be polite and hold yourself above the garbage you might receive - I can deal with anyone you care to name. But you have to name them.

One last thing. Nowhere have I ever claimed that the moderators are perfect. Some might even be anti-Collingwood, but not ONE has been named specifically. Ever.

[This message has been edited by BigFooty.com (edited 05 October 2001).]

BigFooty.com 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:43 pm

Daicos - at the moment, everyone gets a 'no more chances' warning. Mainly to cut down on the abuse that Collingwood users get and, in turn, the abuse that the moderators get.

Malklas 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:05 am

sour grapes too me.....

Go Pie Pride....join in and everyones a winner.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:15 am

When daicos4ever started this topic I toyed with the idea of closing it and asking him to keep his problems with BigFooty on BigFooty. I was concerned that we were going to get into a slanging match that has nothing to do with this bulletin Board, but decided to let it flow and see what happened. I think the result has been positive and that the issue can be resolved.

The difference is that we haven't attracted the mindless interjectors that turn topics like this into an aimless and abusive slanging match and the juvenile 'my father could beat your father' bullshit that we see on BigFooty. That is not a criticism of BigFooty; the mindless prats would not have much impact if they were ignored, but they never are - they always get a reaction, and it's the pies that seem to have the thinnest skins. Joffa, even your 'I've got you on ignore' is a reaction and it satisfies the idiots' primal urges. If you didn't react at all they would just be left looking like the idiots that they are. If you can't develop a thick skin then you have only yourself to blame if you continually expose yourself to an environment where the dickheads can take advantage of that.

I don't spend enough time on BigFooty to comment on the timeliness of the moderation, but I've had 5 years experience on this board and do have a feeling for the problems involved. Unlike Bluey I read every post as it is posted on this board, but the volume of traffic has reached the point where that is becoming increasingly difficult and is intruding into the time I spend on my other (paying) work. If this site was as busy as BigFooty I would have to change my style of moderation and perhaps adopt something like the self-policing method that is used by them and then we would probably be facing the same issues.

Another point that needs to be kept in mind is that this is a single club forum. We don't have to put up with anti-Collingwood crap here and it just gets deleted, probably before most people see it, so it doesn't become a problem. BigFooty caters to all AFL supporters so the boundaries are much more indistinct and the 'black and white' rules that I use can't be applied there. Parochial attitudes also play a big part in stirring the BigFooty pot, they don't exist here.

The bottom line is that BigFooty is BigFooty and Nick's is Nick's and vive le difference. It's no use trying to change BigFooty to be what you want it to be, it is what it is and if that doesn't suit you stay away from it. I don't understand why, if it causes you so much grief, you keep going back for more - it all seems a bit masochistic.

BigFooty is not my scene, I have a thin skin too and I too would get hooked in by the juveniles, but I respect what Bluey is doing and, as I've said before, I wouldn't do his job for quids.

The Hitman 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 8:42 am

Very well said Mike...

The Hitman

"I come in peace..."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: