Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Imran Ridicules Commission Of Inquiry

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:45 pm
Post subject: Imran Ridicules Commission Of InquiryReply with quote

The Shoaib Akhtar injury saga

Imran ridicules commission of inquiry

Wisden Cricinfo staff

April 28, 2004

Imran Khan poured scorn on the Pakistan cricket authorities for conducting a medical inquiry following the team's defeat to India in the recent series. "Nowhere in the world has a medical inquiry of fast bowlers ever been conducted," he said when asked for his views on the commission, which will hear testimony from the likes of Shoaib Akhtar and Moin Khan, who were among those that missed part of the series with some sort of injury. "By doing so, the Pakistan Cricket Board has made a mockery of Pakistan cricket," said Imran, who has been a vociferous critic of the hierarchy in recent times.

The inquiry into the cause of excessive injuries opened on Monday, just ten days after the defeat to India in the Test series. "Australian pacers Jason Gillespie, Brett Lee and Glen McGrath got injured before and during the series against India earlier this year but did Australia conduct an inquiry?" he asked. "Even Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra broke down during the Pakistan series but India did not launch an inquiry."

Shoaib, Moin and Abdul Razzaq will appear before a four-member commission headed by Abdul Wajib, an orthopaedic surgeon, in Lahore. "The PCB is sidetracking from the main reasons why Pakistan lost the series," said Imran, suggesting that the think-tank which had failed was now looking for scapegoats. "Some fast bowler picking up an injury is not unusual."

Shoaib was also given a clean chit by Sabih Azhar, his long-time coach. Speaking to the Mid Day newspaper yesterday, he said, "I know him since he was a child and I can tell you that he will never feign an injury. He has won us many matches from hopeless situations and I can tell you he is hard working and will never shy away from a challenge. Although I haven't met him for long, I am sure injury would have forced him out. Otherwise, it is hard to believe that he would do such a thing."

One conspiracy theory suggests that Shoaib walked out of the Rawalpindi Test after differences with Inzamam-ul-Haq, the captain, over field placings. But Azhar, who now coaches the Rawalpindi side pooh-poohed the idea. "Shoaib was not the only bowler out there," he said. "There were others too. What happened to Mohammad Sami and Shabbir Ahmed? We didn't have a good spinner in the ranks either. Every good bowler needs support from the other end but was there any serious support for Shoaib?"

If found guilty of feigning injury, Shoaib could be banned from playing for the team in the immediate future.

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: