Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thorpe accepts. Will swim the 400

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:20 pm
Post subject: Thorpe accepts. Will swim the 400Reply with quote

Thorpe accepts 400m offer

By staff writers - Fox Sports

April 27, 2004

IAN THORPE today, as expected, accepted an offer to defend his Olympic 400 metres freestyle title in Athens after Craig Stevens withdrew from the event last night.

Looking serious in front of a packed Sydney press conference, Thorpe - controversially disqualified from the event after a false start at the trials last month - confirmed the long held belief he would replace Stevens.

Stevens gave up his place last night after a paid interview on Channel 7's Today Tonight program after almost a month of speculation and rumour over what the path he would choose.

"I wanted to swim that event I am pleased I have the opportunity to swim the event and grateful to Craig for giving me the opportunity," said Thorpe after team officials confirmed his place in the Olympic team.

"I'm excited at how much it means to me to swim the event that first won me selection to the Australian team, and excited to be swimming in the event in which I won my first Olympic gold medal.

"I'm not worried about the pressure of swimming in it - a little concerned maybe, but not worried." Thorpe said on Today Tonight - in an interview just after the trials - he would not swim if he felt Stevens had been pressured into withdrawing from the event.

"I asked Craig if he was certain and he was quite sure," said Thorpe.

"I discussed with him what he had been through over the past weeks, and then after that I thanked him for making the decision he had made and said I would watch him in the interview.

"The decision he has made was all based on what he wanted to do."

Stevens is still a member of the Australian team and will swim in the 1500m, his pet event, and the 4x200m freestyle relay alongside Thorpe.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!. Of course this was going to be the out come all along. I'm sorry but i just hope thorpe dosn't go off the blocks come the olympics,i reckon they should have swam the race again(without stevens and hackett in it)to see who was also going to swim the 400,i'm sorry but i don;t agree with this,thorpe broke the rules and he's allowed back in,would any other swimmer be allowed back in his 'pet'event?. Ok,so its the olympics and its meant to be the best in each event.

*This is just my opinion*.

*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:49 pm

I was hoping to hear thT Stevens would decide to swim the 400, he deserved to swim the race.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
I@n S 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:39 am

That crap.. Pressure on Stevens not to swim and Thorpe replacing him has made him pull out. Its because Thorpe is better and Australia don't want to give up 1 smeging gold. What BS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: