Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Familiarity breeds contempt

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the pie that shagged me 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 12:26 pm
Post subject: Familiarity breeds contemptReply with quote

Hello all, and I'm saying hello from windy Sydney this afternoon.

I've had a good read over the various comments (and other less memorable articles) of the past few weeks.

In what you are about to read, don't look for theories, suggestions or player stats to back up the comment-this is the thoughts and feeling of a supporter who will never say die.

I haven't giggled much lately, I have a nagging concern.

You see, Collingwood is an institution, it's a part of my life, and without the club, a great deal of joy would be missing in this life. But like all things, you need to be realistic in what you expect from the pleasures that you indulge in.

It is from last night's result that I am referring to and the expectations that are beginning to surface from some fellow supporters. A couple of weeks ago I logged on and subconsciously started to shake my head at the "good signs" mentality as a result of the loss to Port on Jan.29.

I have since become frustrated further with the seemingly uncontested statements that 'when we are good we are brilliant', and the 'capable of anything' phenomenon we liberally smother our players with whenever a win is evident. My point?

We LOST to Port Adelaide-and I'm sure they are also in the process of adjusting to player changes as we will be. Just repeating-it was a LOSS.

I'm verging on a cerebral haemorrage if one more comment appears that this is ok, 'because we are coming together as a unit following staff and player changes' or whatever the heck....

Every team has to come to terms with this.

Stuff the home ground advantage to Port, as I'm sick of away ground advantages also factoring into the excuses of a visiting team loss. We and every other team travels so much nowadays that the effect is indeed minimal - and the consideration that players are paid bucket loads to train, adapt and perform to a professional standard whatever the environment is pertinent to my frustrations when we lose away.

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the fact that when I here about our next match, as per the Port match, and I learn that it is being played at Footy park, I think "hmmm...if we win, it will be only just..." and most likely there is my reference to that something etched in my brain at the moment that is permanently preparing me for the disappointment of a loss.

I am sick to death of this pattern. Sure, it may be a strength thing-I've considered that. I won't even enter into a comment about my faith, that is not an issue.

From 1995 the alarm bells started when Sav Rocca decided he couldn't kick straight in pressure situations, and also directly in front from 30 metres. (granted the ANZAC day match was a noted exception).

But back to recent times...another point...

It was F*****G FREMANTLE!!!

Get it?

Yes I was bloody impressed with the 'Pies' ability to hold the Dockers to a paltry 3 goals for the entire game. And I further acknowledge this due to the fact that we are dealing with no less than another Australian Rules Football team-a professioanl outfit that we proudly held to 3 pathetic goals.

But some hard facts remain...we beat Fremantle last year convincingly too-we were the wooden spooners...

In 1990 I took on my entire high school (at Manly High in Sydney) when the smartarses from league land, and the chardonnay drinking, no-idea-what-it-feels-like-to-smother-a-ball Swan-supporting bastards started the Colliwobble chants throughout the finals. Even the teachers were in on the act. they knew Collingwood's history, they knew the name...girls knew who Collingwood were as I was at the school for six years and in their ear incessantly. I loved it...Point? My brain and my heart was one. the brain was there saying "your heart is right, this is it"... and didn't I let rip on October 3 (the Monday after) at school.

Now, I'm coming into work and everybody has the astuteness not to ask...as it is no longer fun on their part...

But the Fremantle win will not, unlike others it appears, give me the (false) bravado to start the scenario spiel, the watch out talk, the corner turning gibberish-although when I'm pissed, this rule is proudly forgotton and the chant immediately starts...

What it will do for me, and I hope at least this will give thought to my friends who read this, is that it will enable me to hope once again that the small corner of the sand castle that we appear to be building will not be washed away by the next tide.

And if it isn't washed away-then we can start the solidifying of the outer walls and start gleefully preparing to place that flag on top.

Let's not accept someone coming and kicking us down by justification-let's go and smash their's first.

Oh and one more thing-a loss is a loss. But a win is still a win, and last night's made me smile. I may have even giggled...

paul 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 3:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right.

What we are seeing is builiding blocks. We have to keep a balance between optimism and reality. The excuses have to stop. Our players are earning at least 95%(collectively) of what the top teams are eearning. What they expect of themselves, and what we should expect of them, are performances representative of that fact.

Mick Malthouse put it in terms of a clock with 12 o'clock being the peak and 6 o'clock being the trough. He said we are at 7. On the way up - better than being on the way down - but with a long way to go.

Allow yourself a smile and even a giggle, but the belly laughs will be a while coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: