Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pay $3Million And Scrap Zimbabwe Tour

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:57 pm
Post subject: Pay $3Million And Scrap Zimbabwe TourReply with quote

Pay $3m and 'scrap Zimbabwe tour'

26apr04
HeraldSun

THE government should consider paying a $3 million fine to allow the Australian cricket team to withdraw from its tour of Zimbabwe, federal Liberal backbencher Bronwyn Bishop said today.

Mrs Bishop said she had problems with the Australians touring Zimbabwe and backed Stuart MacGill's decision to make himself unavailable before the team was announced.
Asked if the government should pay the $3 million to the International Cricket Council to enable Australia to withdraw, and allow players a conscience vote on the issue, Mrs Bishop said she would if it was up to her.

"If it was up to me, I'd say yes," she told the Seven Network.

"The government could consider making a payment to the cricket board to keep it afloat, because I think I've seen the story that says if they don't go and they're fined that there's a flow on effect from the sale of seats, television rights ...

"I do think it's a very important issue, I felt very strongly for Stuart MacGill.

"I have a good deal of problem about going."

Labor's foreign affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd said the opposition would keep a close watch on developments in Zimbabwe.

If Zimbabwe captain Heath Streak was dumped on racial grounds, that had to be condemned, Mr Rudd said.

"It is absolutely reprehensible," he said.

"If this guy's been knocked out of the captaincy of his team on the basis of racial profiling, it deserves absolute total condemnation.

"We can't allow this sort of behaviour to extend and to continue.

"At the same time, we recognise the autonomy of Cricket Australia."

MacGill said he had been worried about the humanitarian crisis in Zimbabwe for more than a year before making himself unavailable for the tour.

cheers bryan..!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: