Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heath Black

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i also believe heath black would be a good pick up, and hes only 21 so basically the whole team will reach their peak at the same time and we will be a gun team.

PiesPremiers 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:08 am

i say go for him.
the less pressure on bucks and obree in the middle the better. Bucks was injured, and obree burnt out, thats why we had a bad 2nd half of the year. because of the pressure on these 2 to come up every week.
black and scotland together, as 2nd string midfielders, in and out of the centre would be fantastic.

Pants, i agree, we do need a CHB. thats probably more important at the minute than black, but i think if black wants to come, we'd be silly to knock him back.

who are the CHBS out of contract???

Dan

Rinnovator Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 11:22 am

Living in the west, I have been watching Heath Black week in week out and think he is a champ. He is so young and so talented and would be an asset to the CFC. I think go for him as long as they don't do something foolish like swap Tarks for him coz Tarks is from WA. I would rather have Lockyer anyday!. Can anybody tell me how long Tarks is contracted for? thanks

Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:33 pm

Hey Rin how are ya buddy!
Ok ppl all I'm going to say is that I wont be surprised if we do get Heath. I think heath will be a good player 4 us to Pick up and i also think that he will suit our style of play

NICKY DAVIS KICKS ARSE!!!!!
MAGPIRA 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:52 pm

Okay......I concur...I wouldn't mind getting a quality midfielder, such as Heath Black (Shame it's not Simon Black hehe!).....But if is going to come here at the risk of losing a Tarks or Nick Davis...then he can stay right where he is as far as I'm concerned. I do believe that ALAN DIDAK (future SUPERSTAR) can and will fill that role in the midfield, but not right now of course! I would rather bite the bullet and get what we really..really....really.....REALLY need, which is a quality RUCKMAN!!!!

:-( I still wish we could have Nick Stevens----"sob sob"--hmmm maybe after Port's devastating loss on the weekend, he might see that the future looks better in Black & White!! I WISH!!

GO PIES!!

d9 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:29 pm

There are some pro's and con's for signing H Black from Freo.
For instance, look at Brisbane. Who needs quality CHB and FB when the ball doesn't go down there that often. footy is about attack, (although you wouldn't know it sometimes eg flooding). If the midfield is of a high standard, the ball is in your forward line a majority of times. So, having another midfielder to rotate with Didak, Scotland, Buck's and O'bree might be a great thing. Remember Leppitsch has hardly played this year and as good as Michael is, he aint a TALL defender in the truest sense of the word. Brisbane have won 14 on the trot or whatever.

On the other hand, Richardson, as some of you would have read me say previously, aint gonna be round for that much longer. He also isn't a true CHB. Wakelin probably is a third tall defender and I personally think Presti is too. We do need a good CHB or FB to take on the likes of Carey (hack) Richo (another hack) and the upcoming Whitnall. I don;t know who, but it is worth a thought. The other downside to the Black saga is the CAP. $800,000 is a lot of money. Wouldn't it be better spent elsewhere. For instance, how the hell are we going to keep nick Davis, Buck;s, Tarrant, Fraser and Didak when they, and it's not just our opinion as Collingwood fanatics, but media and insider opinion, are all going to be, or in Buckley's case, are champions. Sooner or later we won't have the room in the CAP to pay for them all. I really have tried to illustrate this point in my previous comments and I personally think it is too stong and argument to dismiss. Another player demanding $800,000 for three years is really pushing the CAP. We will have to get rid of quality to gain quality. I wouldn't like to see any of the BIG 5 going (the D9 either for that matter). I also wouln't like to see what I personally call the second stringers go either. You know who they are, Lockyer (WA), L Davis (WA), CLoke, Scotland Kinnear and the like. These are the players who you know will be trying their proverbial guts out week in week out, and who may not be in the class of the BIG 5, but who you would always want in the trenches with you (Bad choice of words, I'm sorry for anyone offended). The players who will never command the big bucks, (sorry Neon), but will be always used as trade bait.
Personally, Collingwood need two things, a quality tall defender in the Leppitsch Flethcer mould or another ruckman so they can play Fraser at CHF more often.

The sooner they get either or both, the sooner we can discuss the more serious issues at hand, will be beat the 4 in a row record?

God bless America

D9

MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:40 am

I very much doubt the salary cap is an issue at the moment. I canforsee issues in 2 or 3 years time when we've hopefully had some sucess and players have bigger reputations. For the present though we are under the cap without anyone on the veterans list and with fully utilising the promotional "allowance".

We can put Bucks and Richo on the veterans list soon. We must also have some flexibility in structuring contracts at the moment. If we structure contracts so that the pay is at least level on an annual basis then increases in the cap creat room to increase oher salaries.

Whilst we are under the cap I hope we are restructuring some contracts to load current payments to creat space in the cap for next year and the year after.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:55 am

rinnovator, i think tarks is in contract til the end of 2002.
so does anyone have any ideas as to who we could swap for heath black, rather than who we shouldnt swap?

Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:58 am

Nice point about the cap. There are ways to get around it though, as you say, but even if we do ahve cap problems in a few years, as long s we get a couple of premierships under the belt, who's really that worried! We need to get the best players for us now and not worry what money they'll command in a few years, and I'm sure that's the way the recruiting staff look at it. Let's get a premiersip side on the field, and then worry about how we can get them under the cap. (this isn't to say H Black is a necessary part of a Collingwood premiership side, but you see what I mean).

Also, I think MM and Judkins have done a great job not only getting good footballers around the club, but also good young guys with good attitudes. We all know Hird and a couple of north melbourne boys took pay cuts to keep the team together, and I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't have done that, but the promise of a premiership to guys who, still only 24, 25, with the right attitude, know their team can dominate for years to come, might be the catalyst they need to take, while still reasonable sallaries, not the million dollar fees payed to some "stars."

@shLicuria 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:28 am

i don't see y u WOULDN'T pick up heath???

as mouldy says, u can neva have too many midfielders

and plus heath is an excellent player, and would BE an excellent pick up..

but i dun see wats SO wrong with him

????

Luv da 1 da only da 1 in port douglas, da @sh Licuria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: