Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MacGill - I'm no activist

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:55 pm
Post subject: MacGill - I'm no activistReply with quote

I'm no activist: MacGill

Fox

STUART MacGILL had been worried about the humanitarian crisis in Zimbabwe for more than a year before deciding to make himself unavailable for Australia's tour to the troubled African state.

The leg-spinner said today he is no political activist and does not want to be used by any lobby groups after making his moral stance not to tour Zimbabwe, where president Robert Mugabe continues to strangle the country with human rights abuses.

MacGill, who is playing English county cricket for Nottinghamshire, said he had taken an interest in the situation in Zimbabwe after touring there with Australia in 2002.

"We had a great tour there two years ago and I enjoyed it so much I chose to take a greater interest in what was going on there," he said after the first day's play of Nottinghamshire's match with Durham in Chester-le-Street today.

"That's what has led me to this point. It's not a security or safety issue, it's about me being comfortable with myself.

"If I have feelings such as I have had for the last 12-18 months it would be inappropriate for me not to act.

"I am firmly behind the ICC's development program and want to assist in it, but this is a larger issue than Zimbabwean cricket.

"I have been contemplating issues outside cricket in making this decision, but I don't want to become a political figure.

"If I were to be more specific I could be misquoted or be used by particular groups to illustrate their cause.

"I have been reading as much about Zimbabwe as I could get my hands on and giving it a lot of thought.

"I have chosen to make a personal stance, but it would be arrogant of me to believe it will have a great impact in Zimbabwe."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Test future at risk

By Jon Pierik and Michael Crutcher - Fox

STUART MacGILL has put his own Test career on the line with his stunning decision to boycott next month's tour of Zimbabwe.

MacGill's decision opened the door for Victoria's Cameron White to become the back-up spinner for the two-Test series.

It has also boosted his chances of becoming Shane Warne's deputy in the Australian ranks. At 33, MacGill's career is in the balance, especially after Warne stormed back into Test cricket in Sri Lanka last month.

MacGill was dropped from the last Test. The shattered leg-spinner later told friends he didn't know where his cricket career was heading.

The New South Welshman at least has the promise from the national selectors that his decision will not be held against him in future selection meetings.

Selection chairman Trevor Hohns last night said MacGill's brave boycott would not be held against him.

"There will be no recriminations as far as the selectors are concerned," Hohns said.

"But what he has done is give someone else an opportunity. That's the chance he takes."

MacGill was largely tamed by Sourav Ganguly's men last summer and White may now be a serious option for the tour of India in October.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:00 pm

More withdrawals 'no surprise'

Fox

AUSTRALIAN fast bowler Glenn McGrath said today he respects Stuart MacGill's decision not to tour Zimbabwe and will not be "totally surprised" if more players opt out.

"I totally respect Stuart's decision. It is a tough one, especially with the situation in Zimbabwe at the moment," McGrath told Channel Nine's Today Show.

McGrath, 34, will tour the troubled African nation after regaining his place in the Australian team following almost a year on the sidelines with an ankle injury.

"I have a slightly different point of view on it," he said of Zimbabwe's plight.

"I've got a lot of friends that live in Zimbabwe that I've spoken to and I base my decision more on the locals there and the fact that they're looking forward so much to us touring there.

"And when we were there 12 months ago during the World Cup we saw the response we got plus the enjoyment the locals got when we were there and that's what I'm basing my decision on."

McGrath said he couldn't speak on behalf of any of his team-mates, but admitted he probably will not be "totally surprised" if there are more pullouts before Australia's tour from May 14 to June 14.

McGrath said he'd have more of any idea of how his team-mates are feeling when they assembled in Brisbane the week before the tour.

"The guys will get together there and have a chat there and work out our problems there," he said.

"I haven't spoken to any of the boys so I don't really know how they're feeling."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:02 pm

Spinner's decision lauded

By Michael Harvey - Fox

TEST leg-spinner Stuart MacGill has had his share of last-wicket stands but last night he won praise for his moral stand.

MacGill, 33, became cricket's version of a conscientious objector by telling selectors he was unavailable to join next month's tour of strife-torn Zimbabwe.

"I told then that I was uncomfortable about touring Zimbabwe at this point in time and maintaining a clear conscience," he said.

The difficult decision was applauded by Prime Minister John Howard and Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer.

Cricket Australia officials also accepted MacGill's solution to his personal dilemma, promising it would not harm the veteran's career.

Pressure has been building for the already controversial Zimbabwe tour to be cancelled.

Cricket Australia officials last night said that would only happen if security fears proved too great.

MacGill, who was due to take the field for his English county side, Nottinghamshire, early today, issued a statement confirming his decision.

He said he had advised touring party selectors before they chose the Test and one-day squads.

"I did this before selectors met without knowing if I was even to be named, in the hope of avoiding disruption to the selection process and tour planning."

MacGill said he kept all Zimbabwean cricketers in high regard and hoped cricket continued to develop in the politically and racially troubled nation.

MacGill said plenty of other Australian cricketers had decided to tour only after long deliberations.

Zimbabwe continues to be suspended from the Commonwealth because of President Robert Mugabe's reign of terror.

Mr Mugabe has been condemned internationally for rigging last year's presidential elections and evicting white farmers.

Race-related cricket tensions have escalated with 15 senior Zimbabwean players refusing to play for their country after Test captain Heath Streak stood down, claiming the side was being selected on race instead of form.

The Federal Government has avoided telling Cricket Australia whether or not to proceed with the tour, which starts May 17.

Mr Howard yesterday lauded MacGill's strength of character.

"I respect him, I like Stuart MacGill," Mr Howard said.

"He's not only a wonderful player, but he's a good bloke and I always admire somebody who in his own way, for his own reasons, forms a conscientious objection on something."

Mr Downer said the Government was appalled by the Mugabe regime and described the Zimbabwe Cricket Union's selection policy as abhorrent.

Mr Downer said concerns about team security remained, but it was unlikely the tour would be cancelled.

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said he understood and accepted MacGill's decision.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: