Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Waqar Calls It A Day

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:25 am
Post subject: Waqar Calls It A DayReply with quote

Waqar calls it a day
From correspondents in Islamabad
April 12, 2004

PAKISTAN'S Waqar Younis, whose toe-crushing yorkers made him one of the world's most feared fast bowlers, retired from cricket today after being sidelined for a year.

"It is a sad day for me, but the right time to go," the 32-year-old told a media conference organised by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) here.

"I thought I could have played for a year or so, but I lost the hunger because the selectors did not consider me good enough to represent the country any more.

"I have not decided on my future. It could be media work or coaching, but something definitely related to cricket."

Waqar was not picked for international cricket after being stripped of the captaincy following Pakistan's embarrassing first round exit at the World Cup in southern Africa in March last year.

He made his Test debut with India's Sachin Tendulkar at Karachi in 1989 and was soon regarded as an outstanding fast bowler who demolished batsmen with express pace and his uncanny ability to reverse swing the old ball.

Waqar, who formed a formidable pace combination with Wasim Akram, played 87 Tests in which he claimed 373 wickets at a superb average of 23.56.

The fast bowler also took 416 wickets in 262 one-day internationals, only the second bowler after Akram to have more than 400 victims in the shorter version of the game.

"It was great bowling alongside Akram, he contributed to 50 per cent of my success," Waqar said of the legendary left-arm seamer who finished with 414 Test and a world record 502 one-day wickets.

"We shared the burden and complemented each other. I was proud to be part of a partnership that was referred to as the two Ws of Pakistan cricket.

"People sometimes talk of the rivalry and controversy between us. It was nothing serious. In fact, any rivalry was a healthy one and good for the team.

"We started the trend of reverse swing which initially raised a few eyebrows. Now everyone seems to have learnt the art."

Waqar, whose family was present at the media conference, termed former Pakistan captain Imran Khan as his "godfather and mentor."

"Imran did not teach me how to bowl, but he taught me how to win matches and have the right approach towards cricket," Waqar said.

"These have been unforgettable 15 years in the game. I am what I am because of cricket. It was not a game but a lifestyle.

"There were some regrets too like missing out, due to injury, the 1992 World Cup which Pakistan won and not being able to play a lot against India.

"I played with my heart, that's why I played so long. I want to be remembered as a decent cricketer who did his best for the team and the country."

Waqar was appointed captain for the England tour in 2001 and continued in the job even after Pakistan were shot out twice for 59 and 52 by Australia in a Test match in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates in 2002.

Waqar was a regular feature in English county cricket where he first played for Surrey before moving to Glamorgan and then Warwickshire.

Full name: Waqar Younis Maitla
Birthplace: Vehari, Punjab, Pakistan
Date of birth: November 16, 1971
Teams: Multan, United Bank Limited, Pakistan, Surrey, Glamorgan, Warwickshire
Test debut: v India at Karachi, 1989-90
Last Test: v South Africa at Cape Town, 2002-03
One-day debut: v West Indies at Sharjah, 1989-90
Last one-dayer: v Zimbabwe at Bulawayo, World Cup, 2003
Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1992
Test career:
87 Tests, 373 wickets, average 23.56, best bowling 7-76 vs New Zealand, Faisalabad, 1990-91, five or more wickets in an innings: 22 times, 10 wickets in a match: five times
One-day record:
262 matches, 416 wickets, average 23.84, best bowling 7-36 vs England, Leeds, 2001. Four or more wickets in a match: 14 times
Captaincy record:
Tests: 17 matches, won 10, lost 7
One-day: 62 matches, won 37, lost 23, no-results 2

Agence France-Presse

cheers bryan..!!
labrooy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I went to Bellerive Oval to watch Pakistan play Sri Lanka in a ODI. A young Waqar Younis bowled faster that day than I had ever seen anyone bowl (he was 17 I think) making the Sri Lankans duck and weave everywhere. He almost single-handedly won the game for Pakistan.

Over the years he has been a tremendous bowler changing his action and style due to injury but maintaining a fast pace. I guess any team that has Akhtar and Sami in it doesn't need the pace of Waqar anymore.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:44 pm

Sad to hear that he's retired, very good bowler, good luck to him with life after cricket.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:39 am

That reverse swing used to wreak havoc. He was the best reverse swing bowler in the world bar none. Pity he and akhtar couldn't get along, they would have been dynamite together.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: