Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victorian Giants about to go under

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:26 pm
Post subject: Victorian Giants about to go underReply with quote

I heard on SEN that there is a chance that the owners of Victoria Giants (NBL) will announce tomorrow that they are selling the franchise because they are close to going under.

Rumours are that the franchise may be taken interstate, unless the person that buys decides to keep the team in Vic.
labrooy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a fan of basketball, a season ticket holder in fact, in Tasmania whilst the Tasmanian Devils were in existence. I considered going to the basketball to be a great night out.

It was a real shame that the Tassie Devils folded however it shows that the cost to run a club such as this is probably higher than the crowd and sponsorship numbers can justify. I hope for all basketball fans that the Giants will be able to continue to compete and preferably in Victoria where their fan base is.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:17 pm

Maybe Eddie should buy em?! Cool
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:30 pm

Bring back SE Melbourne Magic.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:06 pm

Did they even play their game in Tasmania? I didn't hear anything about it, maybe they could try coming down to Tasmania, 3-4 times a year, and see if that will help.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:38 am

Good. It was disgraceful how the Victoria Titans was destroyed by the takeover by bitter North Melbourne Giants supporters. Half of the non-Giants players sacked. Goorjian sacked.

I've been barracking for the Sydney Kings ever since Goorjian joined them. The Victoria Giants can go to hell.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:58 am

Basketball...pfft. What happened to this once thriving sport. I'll tell you. People like Andrew Vlahov got involved in the administration of the game. Now it's not about the game, it's about trying to lift his personal profile. Basketball used to be massive in Perth, not anymore.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:28 pm

Basketball used to be massive everywhere, and while it still thrives at an amatuer level, it is pretty sad at the top level in Australia.

I generally lost interest after the team I supported merged multiple times, and I was just sick ot it. First I went for the Southern Spectres, then they merged withe the East Side Saints (that was ok), to make SE Melbourne Magic, then they merged with the North Melbourne Giants, and because the Victorian Titans, and then Giants supporters took over and changed the name to the Victorian Giants.

The admin of the NBL needs a good hard look at itself.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:13 am

I've been hoping to see the Tassie Devils come back, went to most of their early games, because my dad used to get given free tickets to them. Used to get excited going down to the DEC and watching some of the big names in Aussie basketball at the time. After all I was very young at the time, after they went under, I haven't supported one team, still watched games on T.V though, when the ABC had it and when Fox started to broadcast them, when I lost Pay-TV I haven't seen a game.

Australian Basketball is almost like Australian soccer, it's in a rebuilding stage, needs to start to bring in some more fans, maybe even lower the prices of tickets a bit. Really sometimes it's better to sit home and watch it on T.V because it doesn't cost you a cent (if you already have Austar, or Foxtel anyway) I really don't know the current prices, but it wasn't really cheap to buy a ticket to see the Tassie Devils. Which probably why hardly anyone went to their games down here.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: