Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grand Slam for Damien ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:57 pm
Post subject: Grand Slam for Damien ?Reply with quote

Damien slips into gear

By Eden Harrington

DAMIEN OLIVER is peerless in the saddle but on Saturday he has the opportunity to secure racing immortality.

If the Melbourne-based jockey can prevail in the $3million Golden Slipper (1200m) at Rosehill on race favourite Alinghi, he will become only the sixth jockey in Australian racing history to win the code's Grand Slam - the Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate and Golden Slipper.

Four miniature Caulfield Cups sit upon Oliver's mantelpiece, he has two Cox Plates to his credit and two Melbourne Cups - one of which was the memorable triumph on Media Puzzle which he dedicated to his late brother Jason.

Yet the Slipper is the one major that continues to evade his grasp.

"It would be satisfying when people mention it," Oliver said of the Grand Slam.

"Until I have won [a Slipper] I will always be the jockey that has got three but not the four."

"The fact that only five people have done it would mean it would be a great feather in my cap.

Perhaps the best indication of how elite the Glam Slam is is the list of greats fighting for membership.

George Moore could never win a Melbourne Cup, The Caulfield Cup continues to evade Darren Beadman and Shane Dye and Harry White were denied a Slipper.

Oliver all but grabbed a Slipper 10 years ago when partnering Racer's Edge but in a slogging finish Danzero and StCovet were relentless.

Then the Slam was his for the taking in 2000 until Belle Du Jour arrived on the line and Crowned Glory was reduced to a footnote.

Despite it all, Oliver said the race isn't a frustration.

Too much has been achieved nationally and internationally for his temperament to overheat like a banged-up car.

"The Slipper is not frustrating at all, I have won a stack of good races," the jockey said.

"If you had of asked me at the start of my career how I would go I wouldn't have thought I could have gone close to winning the races I have. The Slipper isn't the be all and end all. It would be great to win one but I count myself lucky to have won the races I have."

But if Oliver was to collar Saturday's Slipper, the triumph would be listed among his most cherished accolades.

A confidence also emanates that it will be Alinghi who finally delivers for this sporting hero.

"It's really exciting [riding her], it's a feeling that only good horses give you when they are at the top of their game," Oliver said.

"It gives you confidence but you can never be over confident in a race like this.

"You can't get away with doing too much wrong in the Slipper.

"Look at a horse like Belle Esprit. He had outstanding form and he encountered a few traffic problems [in the Slipper] and couldn't get away with it.

"Bold Promise is another one. She started a short-priced favourite and everyone thought she would win.

"She encountered traffic problems but if she [Alinghi] can stay out of trouble I don't think there is a better horse in the race."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: