Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Boxing: Soliman Lands Big Blow In US

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:43 am
Post subject: Boxing: Soliman Lands Big Blow In USReply with quote

Boxing: Soliman lands big blow in US
By Mischa Merz
31mar04

CHAMPION Melbourne boxer Sam Soliman is about to step into what Kostya Tszyu calls "the big pool" of prize fighting, having signed a six-fight deal with high-profile US promoter Dan Goossen.

Soliman, rated No. 7 in the World Boxing Council and No. 4 in the International Boxing Federation, has, says his manager Stuart Duncan, boosted his earning potential substantially with the deal.
His first fight for Goossen Tutor promotions is expected to take place in May against an opponent yet to be named.

Ultimately Soliman has his sights set on IBF champion Bernard Hopkins, 39, who will fight the No. 2 Robert Allen in June as well being slated as a Oscar de la Hoya second opponent at middleweight later in the year.

Meanwhile, Soliman, 30, has issued challenges to those rated above him -- Jermain Taylor and Ray Joval, who beat him in a controversial points decision in 2001.

"I know Joval will avoid me like the plague, because we met once before and he was lucky to get a decision against me in his own back yard," Soliman said.

"He's had seven fights since then and I've had 14, winning every one other than a highly controversial points-decision loss against WBA super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine."

Australian fans can see Soliman fight on a Glenn Wheatley promotion in Melbourne next month before he jets off to the US.

"I've proven my worth in the last 14 fights, having taken on and beaten world-rated opponents," Soliman said.

They have included Satoru Suzuki, who was World Boxing Association No. 10; WBA-rated Tokutaro Toyozumi; WBC top-five rated fighter and Jeff Fenech-trained Nader Hamden, who was undefeated until he lost to Soliman; Cornelius Carr (34-3); and Cameroon Olympian and Australian champion Sakio Bika, also trained by Fenech.

"We've travelled to their back yard each time," Soliman said.

"The message to Bernard is loud and clear: If Robert Allen gets a runny nose or a change of heart, give Dan Goossen a call because we're ready. Allen backed out of fighting me in April last year and, despite repeated offers, won't get in the ring with the king."

It would be difficult to find an athlete who trains harder than Soliman, the IBF Pan Pacific and Oceania-Pacific Boxing Federation middleweight champion. As he says, the call could come any time to fight for a world title and he wants to be ready.

Soliman recently spent time training in Florida, sharpening his skills for the tough American fight world with the help of Australian Robert Peden, who this month KO'd Nate Campbell for the IBF No. 1 position at super featherweight, and his trainer Roger Bloodworth.

Although he has fought extensively in Australia and overseas, it was his controversial loss to Mundine that brought him to public attention here.

And Soliman's magical, evasive style was regarded as ideal sparring for Tszyu, who hired him recently to help prepare for the Sharmba Mitchell fight, which went to Lovemore N'dou when Tszyu injured his shoulder.

Tszyu's trainer, Johnny Lewis, had high praise for Soliman's unique abilities and Soliman said that three weeks of work with the undisputed junior welterweight champion of world, in his own back yard, was a gift.

"I've sparred people all over the world and there have been some champions. But in the end it was right here that I got to spar with one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. He's so accurate. He doesn't waste his punches at all," Soliman said.

cheers bryan..!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: