Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scott's hot

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:34 am
Post subject: Scott's hotReply with quote

Scott shows his class

Fox

ADAM SCOTT put on a clinic to lead after the opening round at the prestigious $US8 million ($10.85m) Players Championship at Ponte Vedra, Florida today.

The 23-year-old Queenslander, a superstar in the making, used his elegant swing to accrue eight birdies on his way to a seven-under-par 65 in benign morning conditions at the Sawgrass TPC.

"My swing is better than it's ever been. It feels really natural," said Scott, who heads Americans Duffy Waldorf and Kevin Sutherland by one stroke.

Steve Elkington is best of the other Australians, equal 12th on three-under 69, while Tiger Woods languishes equal 108th after a limp 75.

Scott, who tied for third at Bay Hill last week, picked up here where he left off there with a most assured performance. He was rarely in trouble, hitting 14 greens in regulation and posting just one bogey.

"It was perfect this morning," he said. "It's important to take advantage of the good conditions when you're off in the morning. It was a pretty solid round overall."

Scott is already ranked a healthy 18th in the world, but seems destined to quickly rise much, much higher: "I've got a plan where I want to go and obviously I want to get there as fast as I can," he said.

"But I'm a pretty patient person. I'm seeing my game improve and as long as that keeps happening (I'll be happy).

"I've been pretty solid (hitting greens in regulation) this year and that takes a lot of pressure off your game and lets you play a little more freely."

Of the other Australians, Stuart Appleby and Robert Allenby shot 71, Greg Norman 72, John Senden, Rod Pampling and Geoff Ogilvy 73, Craig Parry and Aaron Baddeley 74, Steve Allan 76, Stephen Leaney 78, Peter Lonard 80.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott takes control

By Andrew Both in Jacksonville, Florida - Fox

ADAM Scott looked like a superstar in the making as he earned a two-shot lead after the third round at the $US8 million ($A10.85 million) Players Championship in Florida today.

Queenslander Scott bogeyed the first hole but didn't drop another shot as he plotted his way to an assured three-under-par 69 at the Sawgrass TPC.

"That bogey at the first settled me down," he said after posting a 10-under 206 total with one round left, while Americans Frank Lickliter (6Cool and Kevin Sutherland (73) are equal second on 208.

Craig Parry vaulted within four shots of the lead with a spectacular 64, the best round of the tournament, while Tiger Woods trails by two after bogeying the final two holes for 68.

"I just played a pretty solid round," said Scott, clearly relishing his position but taking nothing for granted.

"I'm excited. I think I'm ready for it but I'm far from winning. I'm going to have to play really well tomorrow. I've got the best players in the world right behind me."

Scott's almost flawless game excited TV commentator Johnny Miller, who more than once said that Scott was swinging like Woods used to back in 2000.

Indeed, the 23-year-old missed only two fairways and four greens. He picked up just one birdie on the front nine, before making his move with a hat-trick of birdies from the 10th, two of them virtual tap-ins.

And though he had several more good chances down the stretch, he settled for six closing pars.

"He never looked in trouble," said Ernie Els, who played with Scott. "He missed some putts too. He could have shot lower."

Parry, meanwhile, was out at the crack of dawn after making the cut with nothing to spare, and he took advantage of the calm conditions and smooth, soft greens with two eagles, six birdies and two bogeys.

"Two eagles in one round is amazing. I normally have two eagles in a year," said Parry, who electrified the golf world when he holed a six-iron to win the US Tour event in Miami in a play-off three weeks ago.

"I've got a lot more confidence (after that win). I'm out there to play well, rather than just be a part of the tour. The way I'm playing at the moment, I feel I can win any event I'm playing in."

The other Australians were out of contention. Robert Allenby was equal 26th, eight shots behind. John Senden, Geoff Ogilvy and Steve Elkington trailed by nine, Rod Pampling by 10, Greg Norman by 16.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:08 pm

Superstar in the making ?

Gotta agree, up to a point. He may not reach the dizzy heights of a Norman or a Woods but he's got the game and the temperament.

Also great to see Popeye (Craig Parry) hit a stunning 64.

i_luv_tarkyn! Scorpio

Dream Big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:17 pm

He Won!
So exciting, all his hardwork is finally paying off
Hopefully this win is the start of something big!

Congratulations Scottie

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Sport/story_3095.asp

luv jess

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:59 pm

"The dizzy heights of a Norman or a Woods" ???

The record of Tiger Woods will probably be well out of the question but he could well exceed the majors tally of the great white fish finger.

He certainly has far greater maturity than his contemporary Baddeley who has takled a far better game than he has played in the big league.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:27 pm

Scott's heart-stopper

Fox

ADAM SCOTT paid tribute to boyhood idol Greg Norman after winning the Players Championship by one stroke in a heart-stopping finish in Florida today.

After finding the water with his second shot at the final hole, the 23-year-old Queenslander rolled in a three-metre bogey putt to become the youngest winner of the prestigious US PGA Tour event, regarded as the biggest outside the four Majors.

He carded 70 to finish at 12-under-par 276 at the Sawgrass TPC, while fast-finishing Irishman Padraig Harrington shot 66, playing the back nine in 30 strokes, to finish second on 277.

It is Scott's fifth professional victory, his second on the US Tour, and earned him $1.95m.

"Maybe that chipping lesson I got earlier in the week (from Greg Norman) paid off in the end," said Scott, who got up-and-down from 30 metres for the victory.

"I was glad I had a putt to win. I've had a few in the past and not made them. I was making it difficult for myself. It was a straight putt so it was going to be my fault if I missed it.

"Greg Norman, my hero as a kid, won 10 years ago, so this means a lot to me."

Scott is the fourth Australian winner in the past 14 years, joining Steve Elkington (1991 and 97) and Norman (94).

He had a four-shot lead with five holes left, but bogeyed the 14th as well as the last. That, combined with Harrington's barnstorming finish, almost sent it to a playoff.

Norman was among those delighted with the result: "I think he can eclipse all of us. I hope he beats my record everywhere," said Norman.

Best of the other Australians was Craig Parry (74), equal 13th at four-under 284, one stroke better than Geoff Ogilvy (70), who tied for 16th with Tiger Woods. ohn Daly qualified for next week's Masters, despite a poor finish, when he remained in the top 10 on the PGA Tour money list.

Leading scores
(par 72, 7093 yards, US unless stated):

276: Adam Scott (Aus) 65 72 69 70

277: Padraig Harrington (Irl) 68 70 73 66

280: Kenny Perry 69 71 69 71, Phil Mickelson 70 69 70 71, Frank Lickliter II 69 71 68 72

281: Jay Haas 72 73 70 66, Jerry Kelly 69 66 74 72, Kevin Sutherland 66 69 73 73

282: Shaun Micheel 70 76 69 67

283: Fred Funk 73 71 68 71, Paul Casey (Gbr) 72 70 69 72, Bob Burns 67 72 72 72

284: Stephen Ames (Trinidad & Tobago) 75 69 72 68, Vijay Singh (Fij) 70 68 72 74, Craig Parry (Aus) 74 72 64 74

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: