Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Murali action needs new look

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:23 am
Post subject: Murali action needs new lookReply with quote

Murali action needs new look

By Andrew Ramsey - Fox

IF the International Cricket Council is serious about a crackdown on spin bowlers with flawed actions, a video recording of Muttiah Muralitharan's new "doosra" should be the first they pop into the VCR at Lord's.

With a combination of a congenital deformity in his elbow and remarkably supple wrists, Muralitharan's action has always provoked debate.

But now the devastating wrong-un he has added to his repertoire has sparked calls for a re-examination by the game's governing body.

The doosra - an Urdu word meaning "the other" - spins sharply like a leg break and is delivered with a lower action than Muralitharan's traditional off or top-spinner.

The delivery, which perplexed England's batsmen during their tour of Sri Lanka last year and has already fooled Australians Darren Lehmann and Adam Gilchrist in the Test series, has drawn quizzical looks and howls of protest from viewers when shown in super slow-motion on Australian television.

While any queries about the Sri Lankan's action invariably provoke equally heated reaction from his supporters, the need for closer scrutiny is two-fold.

First, the ICC recently acknowledged spin bowlers have largely escaped the same level of investigation as pacemen with suspect actions.

"The ICC is commissioning new research relating to spinners so that we have a clear, fact-based understanding of what actually takes place in a spinner's (action) rather than solely rely on the naked eye or on TV replays which have proven to be deceptive," ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said last month.

Second, there is an acknowledgement from an Australian biomechanics expert who initially cleared Muralitharan's action that his new delivery demands closer examination.

"When a finger spinner wants to rotate the wrist to come over the top of the ball - I won't say it's impossible but it seems difficult not to straighten the arm," Bruce Eliott, a professor from the University of Western Australia, said.

"The doosra fits into the category that says 'danger'."

On Tuesday, Muralitharan became the third bowler to reach 500 Test wickets.

He is adored and emulated by scores of budding young bowlers on the subcontinent, even though his action has been questioned publicly by a string of former players.

Former West Indian fast bowler Michael Holding, a member of the ICC's panel which reviews bowlers' legality, suggested recently there were seven players with suspect actions, of which Muralitharan was one.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone replies to this, please read the relevant law.

The 2000 Code 2nd Edition - 2003 is the most up-to-date version of the Laws of Cricket, for use in all competitions.

3. Definition of fair delivery – the arm

A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.

Let's put the 'doosra' aside for a moment. How the powers that be can clear Murali's usual mode of delivery, using the above wording, is a complete mystery.

I watched a slo-mo of his action, front on, from this present Test.

Bearing these words in mind, "once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing" at that point of his delivery, his arm is bent at almost 60 degrees. See second photo (below)

Then: "the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand." As it progresses to the point of release, it straightens to a slight bend. See first photo. Absolutely clear cut. No ball.

Now, let's put a couple of aspects into perspective.

1. A big deal has been made about his 'permanently bent' elbow. Nonsense. It doesn't matter if the arm is bent at the point of delivery. It's the straightening which is the issue.

2. The personal abuse he attracts is way out of line. He is not at fault (the ICC keeps passing his action).

3. Murali may be one of the most obvious but there are plenty of other Test and ODI bowlers who contravene the above law. As Merv Hughes has been quoted as saying: "I reckon about 80% of bowlers chuck, if you read the law"

It's the ICC who are at fault here, not the offending bowlers or coaches. They will do what they can get away with, within the laws. Or at least, in this case, the way the laws are policed.

murali2.jpg

Murali1.jpg

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:07 am

Murali ball illegal: ex-ump

By Robert Craddock and Jon Pierik - Fox

FORMER Australian umpire Col Egar, the man who famously no-balled Ian Meckiff out of Test cricket, claims Muthiah Muralidaran's ungainly new delivery is blatantly illegal.

The bowling action of the Sri Lankan off-spinner has long sparked heated debate in world cricket, with many experts and players - most privately - agreeing he should not be allowed to continue in the game.

This view has intensified since Muralidaran introduced his new "doosra" delivery - an Urdu word meaning "the other".

The delivery spins sharply like a leg break but is sent down with an off-spinning action.

An outraged Egar last night accused Muralidaran, who was no-balled for throwing on consecutive Australian tours in the 1990s, of illegally straightening his right arm when delivering his so called mystery ball.

"That new delivery he has got, that's illegal," Egar said.

"I have been talking to players about that in recent times.

"They say he is illegal.

"You can do that by bending (and straightening) your arm on the beach anytime you like."

Muralidaran is not the first off-spinner to turn the ball the opposite way he is supposed to - Pakistan's Saqlain Mushtaq could do it - but the Pakistani could only turn it a centimetre or two whereas Murali's doosra can turn 25cm or more.

The Australians are still having trouble picking it even though they have seen it extensively in five one-dayers and two Tests on tour.

Egar, who called more than 10 first class bowlers for chucking, also felt Muralidaran should not be allowed to benefit from being allowed to have 10 degrees of bend in his elbow when delivering the ball.

"I think it's absolutely ludicrous and ridiculous," said Egar, who umpired in 29 Tests in the 1960s.

"I can't understand the law makers allowing it.

"How far do you go with it?

"In the past you were never allowed to it.

"There have been some great off-spin bowlers in the past.

"If they were allowed to bend the elbow and then straighten it, by gee, they would have been prolific bowlers, too.

"I feel very sorry for the bowlers I called in first class cricket."

Egar's displeasure comes after Australian biomechanics expert Bruce Elliott, a professor from the University of Western Australia who initially cleared Muralidaran's action in 1998, admitted the new delivery needed closer examination.

Eliott said the doosra delivery fitted "into the category that just says 'danger'."

Legendary Indian spinner Bishan Bedi has also publicly condemned Muralidaran's action.

"I don't want to talk about him," an angry Bedi responded when contacted by the Herald Sun.

"He is a thief."

Bedi believes there are 17 bowlers in world cricket, including Australia's Brett Lee, who occasionally or regularly use an illegal action.

And Shane Warne's coach, former Test leg-spinner Terry Jenner, says if a young boy wanted to emulate Muralidaran's action "he should not be allowed to keep doing it".

Former Test batsman Dean Jones recently spoke for the frustrated majority when he said the chucking issue has been handled poorly for 80 years.

Muralidaran's action was extensively analysed in 1996 but was cleared by the International Cricket Council in '98.

It was discovered he had a flexion deformity that prevents him from straightening his elbow. He also has an unusually flexible wrist.

But his action is expected to be heavily questioned during a special ICC review of spin bowling this year.

It is almost certain there will never be another bowler like Muralidaran for, while the ICC may be reluctant to haul him into line, they will ensure no young bowler will ever be given as much leeway again.

Umpires have been reluctant to report him because they remember the backlash suffered by Australia's Darrell Hair, who received death threats after no-balling him seven times in the Boxing Day Test of 1995.

This week Muralidaran became the third man behind Courtney Walsh and Shane Warne to take 500 Test wickets, with many predicting the son of a biscuit manufacturer will ultimately finish with the all-time record of more than 700.

Egar said it would be a sad day for cricket when that time arrived.

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:41 pm

Thank you Donny. To the point and unemotive, a rarity when discussing this issue. I agree with much that you say.

Pity that the media does not, however, desist from their use of Mr Rent-a-quotes. You know the type; Anthony Mundine, Neil Harvey and we can add to the list Mr Col Egar.

Former Test umpire he certainly was; over 30 to 40 years ago. Since then he graduated into officialdom where as a tour manager on the sub-continent his maladroit handling of some touchy situations almost led to severance of cricketing relations.

He like any one has the right to express an opinion but frankly he has no greater credence when commenting about today's game than Donny, Dave, Dyso, myself or god forbid CC and JLC.

I@n S 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:41 pm

Well if he gets in trouble for chucking against Australia soon I'll be very pissed off because he wasn't when England played them
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:10 am

The photos are clear as day. Bent elbow....then straightened as the ball is delivered - no ball is the result.

Pictures speak 1000 words. Thanks Donny for the proof.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
labrooy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:14 pm

It appears that the only people who don't think Murali is a chucker, apart from every Sri Lankan, are the members of the ICC's panel that determines if a bowlers action is legal or not.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is a chucker. When I umpired if a bowler came on with his action I would have no-balled him every delivery.
LeonMcS Virgo

Only one says Buckley on command...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:21 pm

Top work Magfan, I'll be directing some sub continent friends to this thread. Nothing more to add that hasnt already been said about Muralis action. Except...a few days ago bored at work a few of us went down and tried to emulate his action without straightening the elbow. of the 20 or so deliverys BOWLED only one made it to the keeper (after three bounces).
Your right, it aint hes fault but he should not be bowling.
LeonMcS Virgo

Only one says Buckley on command...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:31 pm

Just another thought, has anyone watched closely footage of Murali batting? Surely one of his three elbos straightens then?
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:51 pm

"Future generations will be hoodwinked into believing 'Muchichuckalot' was the best of them all. At best, his action is suspicious. At worst it belongs in a darts tournament."
Michael Parkinson doesn't beat about the bush when asked about Muttiah Muralitharan's action

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:02 pm

I reckon there would be one way to answer the question once and for all.

If his arm is permanently bent (thus giving the illusion he is straightening as my Sri Lankan mates claim), then put his elbow in a cast.

If he can still bowl a doosra that spins, I'll publish a public apology and shut up about it for ever.
labrooy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:15 pm

I don't reckon he could bowl anything but lollipops if his elbow is in a cast.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:19 pm

I don't reckon he can bowl Full Stop! Throwing is throwing is throwing is throwing.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: