Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#33 Rupert Wills

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MagpieDynasty wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The problem, however, is that Sier has been on our list for 3 or 4 yrs now and still isn't fit enough to play out a game. We all know he has enormous talent, but if he is not prepared to put the hard yards in, then he will never realise that talent.

Wills on the other hand, has a lot less talent, but seems determined to put in the hard work, to force his way into our team.

If the club is confident they can get Sier to take his footy seriously and become the midfield beast we know he is capable of, then of course we would be better to invest in Sier over Wills. But that's a big "if".

Very similar players in both being Bulls around the contest...This is seemingly a precarious coin flip choice between the two for the club. I'm in your camp RB, IF is one of the shortest yet longest words in the dictionary!

Time and again we've seen plenty of players arrive oozing talent but the attitude doesn't always match. I'd always take attitude over talent because that is the constant. Post 2018 it seems Sier may have adopted the 'how easy is this' approach and allowed himself to be distracted from whats required. Wills on the other hand stuck to the task and was duly rewarded. He was one of the most 'honest' contributors throughout the minor and finals rounds. I love his old fashioned football look and approach.

Wills for me...

Wills for mine, too...

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:46 pm

We can obsess for another 12 months.

Rupert Wills has signed a one-year extension ~
https://www.zerohanger.com/just-in-collingwood-midfielder-re-signs-36598/

jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:01 pm

For me it's about demonstrated desire for every player and every line.

Seir is by far the better player but aside from injuries and niggles has demonstrated a desire to do his own thing, Wills has a lower ceiling but works his rear end off to make the grade.

Sier needs to make the position his own NOW, there is no tomorrow. Wills has show the desire to succeed and Sier needs to copper that bet.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Don't know why we're comparing Wills to Sier. Sier works above his waist and Wills works below his waist. They actually complement each other although it's difficult to see how they both play in the senior team together. Usually doesn't come into play that both are available to play in the senior team at the same time because either one or both are usually injured.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Good on him.
He’s only one fit Beams or one committed Sier away from playing VFL all year but in Collingwood speak, that probably means he will play at least half the season in the ones.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:26 pm
Post subject: Re: The Wills Obsession! Prayers answered!Reply with quote

E wrote:
There are quite a few posters who chime in every week with a post or two wherever they can fit it in suggesting that Wills should be an in. Sometimes they even proposing dropping someone who played really well in the previous week.

Ok, so here is the thread.

Convince me why my assumption that Wills will be delisted by the end of the season isn't correct and why you think the selection committee gets it wrong literally every week by failing to include him in our team.

Or is there some in joke that i am missing.

I'll try and convince you then!! "Wills signs One year extension on November 8th 2019!!"

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:48 pm
Post subject: Re: The Wills Obsession! Prayers answered!Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
There are quite a few posters who chime in every week with a post or two wherever they can fit it in suggesting that Wills should be an in. Sometimes they even proposing dropping someone who played really well in the previous week.

Ok, so here is the thread.

Convince me why my assumption that Wills will be delisted by the end of the season isn't correct and why you think the selection committee gets it wrong literally every week by failing to include him in our team.

Or is there some in joke that i am missing.

I'll try and convince you then!! "Wills signs One year extension on November 8th 2019!!"

That’s pretty convincing😁

jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Don't know why we're comparing Wills to Sier. Sier works above his waist and Wills works below his waist. They actually complement each other although it's difficult to see how they both play in the senior team together. Usually doesn't come into play that both are available to play in the senior team at the same time because either one or both are usually injured.

We are comparing them because both provide the essential missing ingredient to make our midfield work.

One works his arse off the other plays his arse off.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:37 pm

Don't know why we're comparing Wills to Sier. Sier works above his waist and Wills works below his waist. They actually complement each other although it's difficult to see how they both play in the senior team together. .

Very astute comment and agree with Jonmac that either of them are vital to making our mid-field work.

My natural inclination is always to favour the one who works his butt off to make the most of his talent ie the Wombat. They are the ones I want to see succeed the most, but unfortunately, in this world, they don't always reap the rewards they deserve. It will be interesting to see the paths of both Wills and Sier next season if both remain relatively injury free.....
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:59 pm

jonmac1954 wrote:

We are comparing them because both provide the essential missing ingredient to make our midfield work.

One works his arse off the other plays his arse off.

Gotta love the Zarsoff family

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:58 am

Don't know why we're comparing Wills to Sier.... it's difficult to see how they both play in the senior team together

I think you answered your own question

E 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Don't know why we're comparing Wills to Sier.... it's difficult to see how they both play in the senior team together

Exactly. There is zero chance that they play together. I think the two year deal given to Sier proves who the club considers thew better option. I just hope the finals series showed everyone just how much better it is to have a bull with creative instinct rather than having a bull whose sole skill is to bottle up play (12 times in a row in our forward line when we needed just one clearance to win a preliminary final).

Wills is lucky that Sier's problems this year meant that the club had to keep him around for one more year as insurance (even though i think we all know he isn't the answer to any legitimate question involving premierships).

I wonder how many integral pieces of the puzzle in the prime of their career and fully fit get offered one year deals??

jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:24 pm

E wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

Exactly. There is zero chance that they play together. I think the two year deal given to Sier proves who the club considers thew better option. I just hope the finals series showed everyone just how much better it is to have a bull with creative instinct rather than having a bull whose sole skill is to bottle up play (12 times in a row in our forward line when we needed just one clearance to win a preliminary final).

Wills is lucky that Sier's problems this year meant that the club had to keep him around for one more year as insurance (even though i think we all know he isn't the answer to any legitimate question involving premierships).

I wonder how many integral pieces of the puzzle in the prime of their career and fully fit get offered one year deals??

Don't ever change E you are as predictable as the sunrise lol.

We were lucky that we had Wills on the list so that we could try to penetrate that thick skull of Sier's that half baked semi-professionalism doesn't roll at the club anymore.

Sier is the better athlete and footballer but hasn't yet showed a fraction of the desire of Wills.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:17 pm

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Wills
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 pm

jonmac1954 wrote:
E wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

Don't ever change E you are as predictable as the sunrise lol.

We were lucky that we had Wills on the list so that we could try to penetrate that thick skull of Sier's that half baked semi-professionalism doesn't roll at the club anymore.

Sier is the better athlete and footballer but hasn't yet showed a fraction of the desire of Wills.

how do you know i've never changed? You have only been on this site for 4 days. Very Happy Very Happy

You are absolutely right of course. It turned out to be a blessing that we had Wills and that he is close enough to AFL calibre that the drop off wasnt too bad. Actually, it was hard to notice the difference between Wills and Sier until it mattered most.

I really love Wills. His desire and effort and professionalism cant be faulted. I would have said the same thing about Blair but many turned on him too.

At the end of the day, there are many reasons why players get a game. And sometimes they do ok. I think Cox is another example. We simply dont have a big guy. Cox got a chance and did enough to get more chances. Doesnt mean he is the answer either. Lynch, Cameron, Kennedy and Cox. Am i right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20   

Jump to: