Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windies shot out for 47

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:20 am
Post subject: Windies shot out for 47Reply with quote

Windies shot out for 47

From correspondents in Kingston, Jamaica - Fox Sports

ENGLAND, bidding to end a 36-year wait for a Test series victory over West Indies in the Caribbean, completed a 10-wicket triumph in the opening Test today after a career-best bowling performance from Steve Harmison.

The fast bowler captured 7-12 for 12 from 12.3 overs – the best bowling analysis at Sabina Park – to sink West Indies for their lowest Test total of 47.

The visitors wrapped up a sensational victory about 20 minutes before lunch to take a 1-0 lead in the four-Test series when openers Michael Vaughan, the England captain, and left-hander Marcus Trescothick ran a bye that took them to the modest target of 20.

"We never expected this," said Vaughan.

"We woke up and saw the sun was shining and we expected a really tough day. But it was all about Steve Harmison.

"The hard work we put in over the first three days allowed him and all of us to come out and play this way."

West Indies continued from their overnight position of eight without loss and folded like a deck of cards in 25.3 overs to fall for their lowest total since Australia dismissed them for 51 at Port of Spain, venue for the next Test, five years ago.

"Getting bowled out for 47 is something for which I cannot really give a reason, but there is one good thing about these kinds of situations and that is they happen so rarely," said West Indies captain Brian Lara.

"The guys will have to erase this from their memory. I think we can come back and give a good performance in Trinidad."

Gaining appreciable bounce from the hard, true surface, Harmison made life very difficult for the West Indies' batsmen.

He got support at the other end from Matthew Hoggard, who was getting the ball to swing both ways and kept up the pressure with tight bowling.

"I would never have thought this would happen when I woke up this morning, but I learnt from the first innings that my natural length was far too short," said Harmisond.

"I am speechless. I cannot say much about what happened. I have worked hard with some people since the tour of Bangladesh with some good people in some good places and they have helped me a lot, so I want to thank them.

"The team has worked hard. We had excellent preparation from this performance it shows. We came out and fought hard."

Chris Gayle trying to break free from the shackles placed on him early was brilliantly caught at third slip by a leaping Graham Thorpe off Harmison for nine top edging a cut.

West Indies vice-captain Ramnaresh Sarwan bagged a pair when he was adjudged lbw to Harmison for a duck playing back and across to a ball moving back.

He might have been a little unfortunate to receive such a verdict from umpire Daryl Harper as the height might have been open to question.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul was promoted to four, no doubt to shield Lara and his dislocated little finger on the right hand, but he was bowled by Harmison for a duck playing on a back foot defensive shot to a short, rising delivery.

Lara was forced to make his entry at five and hardly had time to test his finger when he was caught at second slip off Hoggard for a duck.

They still had not erased the first innings deficit of 28 when Hoggard held a firm return catch to send Devon Smith, the first innings century-maker, who had watched the carnage at the other end, on his way for 12 to leave West Indies on 5-21.

As he is apt to do, Ridley Jacobs tried to hit West Indies out the hole with the top score of 15 and ensured that England would have to bat again when he drove Hoggard through mid-on for the second of his three boundaries.

He and left-hander Ryan Hinds added 20 for the sixth wicket, but West Indies would lose their last five wickets for two runs in the space of 24 balls.

Scoreboard
WEST INDIES FIRST INNINGS 311
ENGLAND FIRST INNINGS 339
WEST INDIES SECOND INNINGS (overnight 0-Cool
C GAYLE c Thorpe b Hussain 9
D SMITH c and b Hoggard 12
R SARWAN lbw b Harmison 0
S CHANDERPAUL b Harmison 0
B LARA c Flintoff b Hoggard 0
R HINDS c Read b Jones 3
R JACOBS c Hussain b Harmison 15
T BEST c Read b Harmison 0
A SANFORD c Trescothick b Harmison 1
C COLLYMORE not out 2
F EDWARDS c Trescothick b Harmison 0
Sundries (4lb, 1nb) 5
TOTAL 47
Fall: 13, 13, 15, 16, 21, 41, 41, 43, 43
Bowling: Hoggard 9-2-21-2; Harmison 12.3-8-12-7; Jones 4-1-10-1 (1nb)
Overs: 25.3
ENGLAND SECOND INNINGS
M TRESCOTHICK not out 5
M VAUGHAN not out 11
Sundries (1b, 1lb, 2nb) 4
Total (for no wkt) 20
Bowling: Best 1.3-0-7-0 (1nb); Hinds 1-0-11-0 (1nb).
Overs: 2.3
Result: England won by 10 wickets to lead four-Test series 1-0.
Umpires: D. Harper (WIS), B. Bowden (AUS) (TV Replays: E. Nicholls).
Match Referee: M. Procter (RSA)
Man-of-the-Match: Steve Harmison (ENG)

LOWEST TEST TOTALS
26 New Zealand v England Auckland 1954/55
30 South Africa v England Port Elizabeth 1895/96
30 South Africa v England Birmingham 1924
35 South Africa v England Cape Town 1898/99
36 Australia v England Birmingham 1902
36 South Africa v Australia Melbourne 1931/32
42 Australia v England Sydney 1887/88
42 New Zealand v Australia Wellington 1945/46
42 India v England Lord's 1974
43 South Africa v England Cape Town 1888/89
44 Australia v England The Oval 1896
45 England v Australia Sydney 1886/87
45 South Africa v Australia Melbourne 1931/32
46 England v West Indies Port of Spain 1993/94
47 West Indies v England Kingston 2004
47 South Africa v England Cape Town 1888/89

cheers bryan..!!
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A rum day for the locals

Roving Reporter by Freddie Auld - Cricinfo

The biggest crowd yet at Sabina Park flooded to the ground this morning. Traffic down the South Camp Road was at a standstill, the side streets were crammed - the place was buzzing. The rain-clouds had been blown away into some other part of the Caribbean Sea, so the sun proudly had his hat on. But, much to the locals' disbelief, it wasn't a West Indian hat. The stage was set for something special, but it didn't quite go to plan for the home supporters … and how the away fans let them know it.

It's hard to escape the effects of the Barmy Army, with the lower ranks on duty in the Mound Stand and a crack squad on patrol in the Air Jamaica Stand, both of which flank the drowned-out press box. Most days it comes as some relief to the journalists that the Barmies don't get into full voice until the afternoon, usually because they are still feeling the effects of one Red Stripe too many.

But today Steve Harmison and Matthew Hoggard gave them an early wake-up call, startling them out of their hazy hangovers while the local supporters sat in stunned silence. For most of the morning, the hooters and whistles were put away. Chris Gayle, a Jamaican, failed again: the locals were not impressed. Ramnaresh Sarwan got a bit of a stinker from umpire Harper: again, not happy. Shivnarine Chanderpaul played on: silence.

The quiet was temporarily broken as the pavilion gate swung open and through swaggered Brian Lara, the saviour to put everything right again. But the utter disbelief when he gave Andrew Flintoff catching practice for the second time in the match was a sight to be seen – even the England fans took a while to believe it. As all eyes turned to the TV replay, Tony Cozier's expression said it all - mouth wide open, face an interesting shade of puce. "Lara, Sarwan and Chanderpaul, all out for a duck," he cursed, putting his head in his hands.

Meanwhile the Barmy Army was finding voice. "Hoggy's gonna get ya!" came the cries as Hoggard lolloped back to his position at fine leg, doffing of his sunhat, which received raucous cheers. And when Hoggie clasped Devon Smith's drive, it was mayhem. Jimmy Saville, the Barmies' leader, who wears the same uniform every day but doesn't seem to have any spares, was wildly waving his St George flag, and encouraging all to join in the monotonous Barmy Army chant (but will they have to change it to "Harmy Army" now?).

Ridley Jacobs put a brief smile back on the locals' faces with his no-nonsense knock, but Harmo'n'Hoggy soon had them back in a huff. Even the DJ, who had gone into hibernation, was finally forced to spin a track or two after Ryan Hinds's wicket. As an early finish loomed, so did a few early exits.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:57 pm

Didn't Australia bowl windies out for a small total a couple of years ago? I'm sure it was around the 50 run mark?

Dyso

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:06 pm

Just for you, Dyso.

Follows the above table.

51 West Indies v Australia Port of Spain 1998/99
52 England v Australia The Oval 1948
53 England v Australia Lord's 1888
53 Australia v England Lord's 1896
53 West Indies v Pakistan Faisalabad 1986/87
53 *Pakistan v Australia Sharjah 2002/03
54 New Zealand v Australia Wellington 1945/46
54 West Indies v England Lord's 2000
58 South Africa v England Lord's 1912
58 *Australia v England Brisbane 1936/37
58 India v Australia Brisbane 1947/48
58 India v England Manchester 1952
59 Pakistan v Australia Sharjah 2002/03

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:37 pm

Yep, good work Donny.
Thought there was a low score or two for the Pakis vs Aust recently, which were there too.

What do we credit all these abysmally low scores in recent years to? Something in the pitch? I dunno......

Dyso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: