Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NickiSlater's Slats Topic

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the kind words from officials, Slater's first class career is over. Even if he were to regain sufficient fitness, his age and relative years left would count very much against him as the NSW side is going through a generational change.

As much as I consider Michael Slater a v over-rated batsman and dislike him personally, no-one would want to see some-one debilitated by such an illness and I would hope that he is able to recover sufficient health and fitness to lead a normal life.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:37 am

Wombat, the very reasons you give for Slats to be NOT selected are the same reasons mentioned in the above article FOR his inclusion.

With Mark and Steve Waugh retired and Bevan, Clarke, Katich, McGrath, Lee and MacGill often not available, there's an obvious need for someone of Slater's experience for at least the next season or two while this generational change takes place.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:10 pm

Beg differ there Donny. I did consider this argument very closely before rejecting it. Please feel free to hear my argument before rubbishing it.

Let us establish one point on which I hope that we can agree, M Slater will not play international cricket again. Second, there is absolutely no guarantee that Slater will regain sufficient fitness to return to first class cricket.

Another fact to consider is his age, 34. Whilst this may be less of a concern if he were an existing intl cricketer, free of fitness/injury worries and performing at the top level. The fact is that Slater is none of the above and career-wise is on the decline and even unsure of state selection. Two seasons would be an absolute max.

His experience may be of use but as for leadership ??? Any thoughts of him as leadership material have long since evaporated and in many quarters of NSW Cricket he is considered as somewhat of a disruptive influence. Various characteristics have meant that M Slater's public/media profile/regard have been somewhat different to that of team-mates and officials.

The absence of key players to intl duty will hurt NSW. Katich should be the new captain but may be away. The Test selectors will be looking for more production from Clarke in the longer game before promoting him and methinks Bevan's intl days may be close to over. They could well be on deck for most of next season as may well be McGill. Bowlers such as Nicholson do have experience and there is also the klutski keeper, Haddin.

The concept behind the article's argument is fine but frankly overstated with relation to what experience will probably be on hand and more importantly what M Slater would actually would add to the side IF indeed he makes it back.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:48 pm

Wombat, 'rubbishing' is your word. I wasn't rubbishing anything.

The article was generated by former coach and present chairman of selectors, Brian Taber, commenting on the possibility of Slater regaining his health and fitness: "I actually did talk about that (Slater is a candidate for the No.6 position vacated by Mark Waugh) to Michael before he got crook,"

"If he can find his way back, we'd love to have him back."

Taber didn't mention leadership or a Test comeback and neither did I. I did mention experience. So what if he's 34 ? The retired twins were 38. I was only talking one season, maybe two.

Maybe you could re-read my post, mate. For a thick skinned wombat, you're a bit over sensitive. Very Happy

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:37 pm

Donny, my rubbishing jibe was not a symptom of any oversensitivity or any other neurosis (thanks for yr kind concern, though). It was a response to yr implication that I had not read the article in question, or yr post(s).

My comments re his age and indeed references to intl cricket are in my mind relevant. The twins were, at that age, still fit and performing sufficiently well at the top level whereas Slater is none of the above and has zero chance of playing again at such levels.

The financial renumeration at this lower level of the game is considerably less and his contractual situation is tenuous. It may indeed be a considerable physical battle to attain reasonable workable health let alone attain sufficient fitness to play at first class level. Let's then put these factors alongside each other and consider the viability.

Whilst respecting Taber's comments, comments corresponding to those stated in my previous post have been expressed to me and in my direct company over the past 2 seasons by current state squad members; ex team-mates, his former manager (ex state player and ex NSWCA CEO), state & intl umpires and indeed another current member of the NSW selection committee. Perhaps you can even surmise who some of these may be.

Therefore, I consider it less than likely that Slater will make it back successfully to state cricket and for what will be expended, there is comparitively little gain in it for both he and the NSW cricket side. As stated previously, let's hope he does recover sufficiently to live as comfortably as possible.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:07 pm

Oh please as if Michael Slater would make the test team again. If thats the case Hodge and Elliott should move to NSW straight away....lol

Having Lehmann and MacGill in the field is bad enough.

Australia will become the new "Dads Army" and take the mantle from England.

jlc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23   

Jump to: