Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

HOPE FOR STORM STAR

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:57 am
Post subject: HOPE FOR STORM STARReply with quote

Hope for Storm star
Karl deKroo
08mar04

MELBOURNE Storm's Matt Orford will visit a leading neurologist on Thursday after scans revealed he has a small blood clot in his brain.

Storm players last night closed ranks around the talented halfback.
Hooker Cameron Smith said the Storm players had been shocked by news that Orford had a blood clot in his cerebellum -- the part of the brain linked to the spine which controls co-ordination and balance.

"It was a bit of a shock to everyone when we found out," Smith said last night. "But hopefully he will be OK.

"He (Orford) actually came over to my house the day he found out and he seemed fine, but it isn't something you take any chances with.

"We are really hoping there isn't much to it. The doctor seems fairly positive about it and hopefully there won't be any surgery required. We all have our fingers crossed that he will still be right for Round 1."

Orford had precautionary scans last Friday after experiencing some light-headedness following a trial game in Wagga. The scans uncovered the small clot. It is not known what caused the clot, or how serious the implications are.

Orford was the star of Storm's season last year. Flourishing under coach Craig Bellamy, he directed Storm to a fifth-place finish, despite the absence of halves partner Scott Hill for much of the year.

Smith deputised for Orford at halfback in Storm's final pre-season trial against the Newtown Jets in Sydney on Saturday night.

The Queensland State-of-Origin hooker said he was prepared to fill in for Orford, but he was hoping his services would not be required.

"I played most of my junior football at halfback so it is something that comes fairly naturally to me," Smith said.

"Saturday night was just a trial game, but I thought I fitted in OK.

"We are all really hoping that Ox (Orford) will be right for our first game, but it wouldn't worry me if I was asked to fill in there. It is just a matter of what is best for the team. If the coach decides I am the best bloke for the job then I'm fine with that."

Andrew McFadden, who is battling a rib problem, is Storm's other halfback option.

Along with fullback Billy Slater and lock Dallas Johnson, Smith was a major find for Storm last season.

He was a model of consistency and he was rewarded with his first Origin jersey in the third game of the series. He starred for Queensland, leading the Maroons to a stunning 36-6 win.

Smith played strongly in the No. 7 jersey against the Jets, while Nathan Friend had a strong game standing in at hooker.

"There is a lot more depth in the squad this year," Smith said.

CHEERS BRYAN..!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: