Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
If anyone wants to change the song, I suggest they consider following another club. After all, there are 17 other theme songs to choose from, so I'm sure one of them will tick all pc boxes you require. As for me, I expect to be proudly belting out "...the Premiership's a cakewalk, for the good old Collingwood" after we demolish the Eagles in the 2019 Grannie.

my kid is a pies fan, but his aunty is a tigers fan, and my kid unashamedly LOVES the tigers song. Whenever we try to belt our a few bars of good old collingwood (always emphasizing the "Oh the premierships a cakewalk"), he always come over the top with OH WE'RE from TIGERLAND!

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
I did some quick research on the all time VFL/AFL Grand Final win/loss ratios:

Collingwood have played in the most Grand Finals. Essendon and Carlton have been premiers 16 times, Collingwood 15

Carlton
16 wins, 13 losses - winning percentage 55.1%
Essendon
16 wins, 14 losses - winning percentage 53.1%
Collingwood
15 wins, 27 losses –winning percentage 35.7%

This is unequivocal data that shows there’s something really amiss with our Grand Final record and that it’s being seriously affected by something. 36% is way below what would be expected due to random probability, which should be around 50%, as it is with Essendon and Carlton.
What’s been the one constant over the course of our history – players? coaches? rules? opposition? logo? Nup, all have changed.

The one constant in all that time has been the club song. Has our GF record been adversely affected by the presumption of the “premiership’s a cakewalk”??? Yes, I think so. If nothing else, it would give the opposing team extra incentive to knock us off our perch. It certainly doesn't appear to give us extra motivation to succeed in the big one.

The truth is that a lot of mediocre collingwood teams with great heart made many grand finals that they didnt deserve to make and then got found out on grand final day. think 1980 for example. Think LeBron James and his Cleveland cavaliers as another example. Are we cursed, or did we just show great spirit to make so many grand finals?

Would be better if you analyzed how many grand finals we lost where we should have won (and how many coin toss grand finals we won/lost). For example, the losses in 2003 and 2011 were ones that got away, however, we werent really given a chance in hell in 2002. 2018 was more of a coin toss.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 pm

E wrote:

The truth is that a lot of mediocre collingwood teams with great heart made many grand finals that they didnt deserve to make and then got found out on grand final day. think 1980 for example. Think LeBron James and his Cleveland cavaliers as another example. Are we cursed, or did we just show great spirit to make so many grand finals?

I agree with this E, plus I agree with 1980 being an absolute prime example of that! It's reasonable to think that this is one reason why our GF record is so below par.
K says that
Quote:
The chance that our GF record is due simply to random bad luck is about 2%.

So there is likely several factors influencing it. Whatever those factors are, the end result is the same. To me, it makes it even more ludicrous to be crowing that the "premierships a cakewalk". Something about our great heart would be more appropriate, me thinks.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:30 pm

E wrote:
Would be better if you analyzed how many grand finals we lost where we should have won (and how many coin toss grand finals we won/lost). For example, the losses in 2003 and 2011 were ones that got away, however, we werent really given a chance in hell in 2002. 2018 was more of a coin toss.

I agree it'd be nice to be able to analyze every GF individually. The problem is that becomes incredibly subjective and opinions of teams swing to the opposite after a result that's against expectations. (Most recently, think opinion at the start of September 2017 and at the end of it.) It's even harder when we're talking history (e.g. 1940s -- it's been 8 decades of underperformance for us now).

Unfortunately, coin-toss results are heavily weighted against us.

For GF margins of 0-6 points: 7:2 against us. (The 2 are 1903 & 2010.)

For GF margins of 7-11 points: 4:1 against us. (The 1 is 1936.)
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm

E wrote:
my kid is a pies fan, but his aunty is a tigers fan, and my kid unashamedly LOVES the tigers song. Whenever we try to belt our a few bars of good old collingwood (always emphasizing the "Oh the premierships a cakewalk"), he always come over the top with OH WE'RE from TIGERLAND!

What do you do then? Do you believe in corporal punishment?
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:14 pm

think positive wrote:
Clumsy new recruits will hurt us more than a word!

We have already been trying to avoid clumsy new recruits. That's not an available source of improvement. And we don't need to choose exclusively one or the other -- not even the same people are involved in deciding the two.

But the reality is this: no single recruit -- new or old, clumsy or agile, good or bad -- is responsible for an eighty-year-old GF Curse.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 am

<off-topic posts deleted. Thanks, David for BBMods.>
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:58 pm

For the 3 people who voted option 4 in the poll, what one word do you want to replace cakewalk with?

“Oh the premiership’s a ??? For the good old Collingwood”

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:06 pm

Good question. I'd like to know too.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
For the 3 people who voted option 4 in the poll, what one word do you want to replace cakewalk with?

“Oh the premiership’s a ??? For the good old Collingwood”

Does "Sure thing" rhyme with "Shouting"

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
Good question. I'd like to know too.

Previously, someone you may know suggested ...
****** wrote:
'Oh the pre-lim is a cakewalk' would work.

But maybe that was a joke. (And it's not true either.)

At that time, someone else suggested ...
*********** wrote:
yeah all good ... but our is plain simply arrogant and wrong.
who cares what the rest are saying, ours is cringe worthy and dare I say it
"bad karma"

"oh the premiership is bad karma for the good old collingwood"

But maybe that was a joke too.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:04 pm

^Ya reckon?
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:44 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
E wrote:

I agree with this E, plus I agree with 1980 being an absolute prime example of that! It's reasonable to think that this is one reason why our GF record is so below par.
K says that
Quote:
The chance that our GF record is due simply to random bad luck is about 2%.

So there is likely several factors influencing it. Whatever those factors are, the end result is the same. To me, it makes it even more ludicrous to be crowing that the "premierships a cakewalk". Something about our great heart would be more appropriate, me thinks.

so maybe we should change the song line to

"Oh, the premiership should be a cakewalk, but there are many reasons why it might not be like bad luck, possibly a curse, sometimes its because we overachieved to make it and sometimes we were just outplaued on the day, at least a few times we could be robbed by the umpires, and at least one time the opponent might take 18 vials of painkillers so that they are literally impervious to paaaaaain!....

.... for the good old Collingwood!

K is right, we do need a change! I for one would hate for a boastful, celebratory song that is intended to be sung in all circumstances except when we lose to be indefensible in cases where we lose......

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:15 am

E wrote:
I for one would hate for a boastful, celebratory song that is intended to be sung in all circumstances except when we lose to be indefensible in cases where we lose......

It's blared out to everyone as the players run on to the ground. It's true that at that point they haven't lost in the past 96 hours because they haven't played in that time, but they could be coming off a 9-game losing streak ala c. 2000-1.

You may also remember the song being sung repeatedly on the ground by the whole Club after yet another thrashing to mark the end of the Victoria Park era. Was it T. Shaw who didn't want it sung then? (True, he'd feel the same whatever the words.)
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:22 am

E wrote:
"Oh, the premiership should be a cakewalk, but there are many reasons why it might not be like bad luck, possibly a curse, sometimes its because we overachieved to make it and sometimes we were just outplaued on the day, at least a few times we could be robbed by the umpires, and at least one time the opponent might take 18 vials of painkillers so that they are literally impervious to paaaaaain!....

That stuff is also true of not just our GF opponents, but other clubs in GFs that don't involve Collingwood at all. In the long run, that sort of thing will just wash out. (e.g. We weren't the ones with the broken ribs in 2003. And the 2011 team may have been battered, but when their guy was subbed off with a dislocated shoulder it should have partly evened things out.) That's why Essendon and Richmond are sitting on exactly 50% GF records, and Carlton is close to (but slightly above) 50%, as PPie said before:

Carlton 16W 13L
Essendon 14W 1D 14L
Richmond 11W 11L
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 19 of 25   

Jump to: