Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Give me Boof and Warney for Sri Lanka" - Ponting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:24 pm
Post subject: "Give me Boof and Warney for Sri Lanka" - PontingReply with quote

'I see Lehmann playing a big role' - Ricky Ponting

Cricinfo

Ricky Ponting has made a strong plea for Darren Lehmann to be given an instant recall to the Test team, filling the coveted No. 5 batting spot held for so long by Steve Waugh. Ponting hopes both Lehmann and Shane Warne will be named tomorrow in the Test squad to tour Sri Lanka.

Lehmann, 34 and with only 11 Tests to his name, missed the entire Australian summer with an Achilles tendon injury and has only just returned to state cricket against the backdrop of tragedy associated with the death of close friend David Hookes.

He has struggled for runs so far in his comeback but Ponting had no qualms about backing Lehmann, saying he was a vital ingredient if Australia was to succeed in Sri Lanka next month and India later this year.

"I see him [Lehmann] playing a big role in the next six to 12 months," Ponting said today. "If he's batting well, or reasonably well, then I think he'll be straight back into the Test side, I'd imagine. His record before he was injured was outstanding in both forms of the game ... his Test form in the West Indies was sensational. If he keeps batting well and his ankle keeps pulling up well I'm pretty sure he'll be given another chance."

Given Sri Lankan conditions, players who can handle spin, as well as bowl it are vital and Lehmann fits the bill with his left-arm finger spin. "He's a very good player of spin and can bowl a few spinners as well. He's done well on the sub-continent before," Ponting said.

Trevor Hohns, the National selection panel chairman, indicated Lehmann's form before he was injured - three centuries in five Tests - should ensure that the selectors stay loyal to him. "We'll take his past Test performances into account and his spin bowling stands him in good stead," Hohns said.

Australia is likely to include a back-up wicketkeeper for Adam Gilchrist and Brad Haddin may be the first choice for that role. In the bowling department, the four quicks - Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Brad Williams and Michael Kasprowicz - will be retained with the likely addition of Warne and Stuart MacGill while Justin Langer should return to open the batting.

In all likelihood, Michael Bevan, Andrew Symonds, Ian Harvey and Brad Hogg will return home after the one-day series.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need selectors with Ponting in the team.

Its amazing how the selectors can take different things into account for certain players. They couldnt push Steve Waugh out the door quick enough no matter how many runs he made.

jlc

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:08 pm

And how old was he, JLC ?

I'd reckon about 4 years older than the bloke you say is too old to be in the team.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:54 pm

He may have been older but he is still better than Lehmann.

Lets wait and see how Lehmann goes. He favours spin so we should be expecting a good return from him with the bat. If not then he should be banished from the team.

jlc

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:50 am

Lehmann, Warne to get selection nods

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Sport/story_52397.asp

Quote:
The Australian cricket selectors are expected to name Shane Warne and Darren Lehmann in the Test squad on Friday for next month's series against Sri Lanka.

Both players starred for their states on Thursday, with Lehmann Smashing 149 not out to give South Australia a chance of beating New South Wales at the SCG and Warne grabbing four wickets as Victoria beat Tasmania at the MCG.

Lehmann will bat on again on Friday.

Adding to their chances of making the squad, Australian captain Ricky Ponting has declared he'd like both players in his squad.

Lehmann hasn't played a Test since October because of an Achilles problem, while Warne has just finished a 12-month drug suspension.

AAP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: