Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2018 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Top four in Rd 22 is a reasonable bar to work with at this stage. If you think it is to be dismissed as “less hopeless” then you might want to clean your filter.

It isn’t “incredible achievement”, but it’s evidence that Buckley knows his profession. To use the cheap shot often used against him in the past, many other teams would line up to hire him next year in preference to their current head coach.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 am

RudeBoy wrote:
It would be nice if a few people could swallow their pride and congratulate Bucks for what he has achieved this year, under extremely trying conditions. He is most certainly coach of the year in my book and I think all true Collingwood supporters should congratulate and thank Bucks for his incredible achievement in getting us back into the finals and most likely a top 4 spot.

Just as John Howard couldn't bring himself to say 'sorry' it seems too many Nicksters can't bring themselves to say 'thank you Nathan'.

Yeah I guess in my praise of the squad I didn't throw in an 'on ya' to Bucks. Mind you, I never stuck the boot into him either, even when I was pretty well ready to throw in the towel on him.

The improvement that we have seen this year has to be slated largely back to Buckley. He has has been trying to get us to play this style for years. He has consistently backed the boys to produce the run, skill and sacrifice that the game plan demands.

Now many of us didn't think he had the cattle. I know my gripe was with our inability to kick the effing thing. But somewhere along the line, the coaching crew has coaxed an acceptable, even noteworthy amount of skill out of the players. They run hard and support each other and finally seem to know where everyone should be at any time. That even with 7 - 10 players going out each week who should probably be in the VFL and we still manage to kick a hundred points and win is a testament to everyone involved, including the coaches, led by the Alpha Male himself.

So he can clearly coach. And no, this isn't something you magically become able to do over a pre-season. This has been coming for a while. I'm glad he had the persistence to stick with it and I am glad the boys had the belief to buy in and step up.

But there's being able to coach and there's being a successful coach. We get to find out a bit more now whether he can be the latter. We have been competitive against the top teams whilst undermanned. Can we find another level in September? With or without our returning injured stars, we are set to learn a bit more about our squad and coach in the next month or so.

Go Pies.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 am

Good post, Geek, though I am not sure September coaching is really different to H&A coaching. I think it tests players’ courage even more, but the basic processes stay the same. If we do not win much in September, it’ll be a sign to me that the young squad still has growing to do, more than it being about Nathan.

Acclamation is also due to Geoff Walsh. After some admin madness with Gubby Allen, balmy et al, this old grey head has stepped in and done a brilliant job. He backed Buckley out of the review last year, and he presumably influenced the assistant coach changes. He gets little notice, but he has made a fantastic Chairman of the Football Board, and he has great gravitas and toughness. I’m proud he is at our club.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:27 am

Buckley has change the way he coaches and now listens and also delegates responsibility to others in accordance with the review at the end of last year. The assistant coaches deserve the plaudits as well. Those like me who bagged Buckley prior to this year opinions were correct because if we were wrong the club would not have had a review and nothing would have changed. For those standing up on a mantle saying "I told you so" also refuse to admit that they were wrong as well. Things had to change and they did and now everyone is happy as we are back winning.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I've been a true believer all along. Just hearing Bucks speak, his footy intelligence and commitment to the cause always stood out to me. Like others, however, I was beginning to think that the footy Gods had cursed him with our injury toll, year after year.

I picked us to finish 5th this year, so even I have been super impressed with what Bucks has achieved, especially given our worst ever year for injuries.

To me Bucks is already coach of the year. If we manage to pull off the Flag this year, he should have a statue built in his honour and given a 5 yr contract extension. Overall, I feel honoured that Bucks is our coach, as he has so much class and character.

+1 still, I kept asking myself questions about the rebuild and the personell that was being added or shown the door, knowing full well that time to develop had to be factored in. We have some outright stars in the team Pendles, Grundy, Howie, Steel, Trelore, Adams and this year we have added a few more Stevo, JDG, Cox Some great players (just under stars) in Trav, Crisp, WHE, Langdon, Thomas, Aish, Maynard, Phillips, Greenwood and I would be tickled pink if some could be kept on the park Moore, Elliot, Reid, Shaz, Wells, Dunn, Goldy and up coming players in Sier, Wills, Daics, Brown 1 +2 Murphy, Apples, Murray, love mentioning each one of them and hopefully I havent forgoten any. Maybe our list isn't better than other teams but one thing for sure when they take the field they play for each other and give their upmost. The coaching staff and the club are responsible for helping create that environment. see how far we can go this year!!!
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am

^^^I really like the point acknowledging the role of Geoff Walsh. When the review was conducted, he listened to the players, and made the decision to retain Buckley. That was not how the papers were marked when he got handed them.

Credit to Bucks for taking on the feedback and loosening up his grasp on the reins. The assistant coaches have been given the leeway to do their jobs in a way that was not the case in previous seasons.

I'm glad for Bucks, his assistants, the players and us fans that the restructure has turned out the way it has. Often there are fine margins between success and failure.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:26 am

Culprit wrote:
Buckley has change the way he coaches and now listens and also delegates responsibility to others in accordance with the review at the end of last year. The assistant coaches deserve the plaudits as well. Those like me who bagged Buckley prior to this year opinions were correct because if we were wrong the club would not have had a review and nothing would have changed. For those standing up on a mantle saying "I told you so" also refuse to admit that they were wrong as well. Things had to change and they did and now everyone is happy as we are back winning.

I haven’t checked the post history, so my memory may deceive me, but I think you wanted him sacked.... yet apparently you were still right. Ok.

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:10 am

I’ve always thought we had a great list ... good enough to be finals if not top 4 every year of Buckley’s tenure. Hence my belief that Buckley was a terrible coach.
Clearly he is stubborn but he has finally changed the game plan this year ... well done. We are now seeing what we should have seen for the last few years. So kudos for coaching well this year.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I haven’t checked the post history, so my memory may deceive me, but I think you wanted him sacked.... yet apparently you were still right. Ok.
I am fine to admit I wanted him gone, sacked removed or whatever as he's performance wasn't up to it in my view. I've never accepted mediocrity. After the 2017 season the club held a review as they thought there was issues as well. The club then made several recommendations regarding the Coach and assistants and they were implemented. The two main ones are clear, Buckley's way or the Highway was a failure as was his lack of communication (listening to others) and delegation was an issue. The pro Buckley brigade from last year said there was no problem and I put it to you if there was no problem then why hold a review? Now everything's turned around everyone's on the same page but the "I told you so" brigade refuse to admit we had issues.

“Be humble to see your mistakes, courageous to admit them, and wise enough to correct them.”
tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Mossi wrote:
+1 still, I kept asking myself questions about the rebuild and the personell that was being added or shown the door, knowing full well that time to develop had to be factored in. We have some outright stars in the team Pendles, Grundy, Howie, Steel, Trelore, Adams and this year we have added a few more Stevo, JDG, Cox Some great players (just under stars) in Trav, Crisp, WHE, Langdon, Thomas, Aish, Maynard, Phillips, Greenwood and I would be tickled pink if some could be kept on the park Moore, Elliot, Reid, Shaz, Wells, Dunn, Goldy and up coming players in Sier, Wills, Daics, Brown 1 +2 Murphy, Apples, Murray, love mentioning each one of them and hopefully I havent forgoten any. Maybe our list isn't better than other teams but one thing for sure when they take the field they play for each other and give their upmost. The coaching staff and the club are responsible for helping create that environment. see how far we can go this year!!!

You forgot Chris Mayne and the massive turnaround in his fortunes and value to the team...a huge credit to Buckley and Mayne for rebuilding that broken bridge

tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Culprit wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I am fine to admit I wanted him gone, sacked removed or whatever as he's performance wasn't up to it in my view. I've never accepted mediocrity. After the 2017 season the club held a review as they thought there was issues as well. The club then made several recommendations regarding the Coach and assistants and they were implemented. The two main ones are clear, Buckley's way or the Highway was a failure as was his lack of communication (listening to others) and delegation was an issue. The pro Buckley brigade from last year said there was no problem and I put it to you if there was no problem then why hold a review? Now everything's turned around everyone's on the same page but the "I told you so" brigade refuse to admit we had issues.

“Be humble to see your mistakes, courageous to admit them, and wise enough to correct them.”

Yes - if everyone was on the same page prior to this year, there wouldn't have been the rumblings or discontent, and hard decisions wouldn't have been made, which we are now reaping the benefits from. A big club like ours needs the diversity in opinions to keep pushing us higher and higher and to NEVER accept mediocrity. Now lets enjoy the ride...

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Culprit wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Sorry Culprit, but that's a lot of hogwash. Those of us who defended Bucks against the tsunami of armchair critics, very clearly knew there were many things wrong at our club, both structurally and personnel wise, which were hindering our on field performances over the last 3 years or so. To say that "The pro Buckley brigade from last year said there was no problem" is simply rubbish. There were clearly divisions and bickering within our football department, a revolving door of football managers, the whole Gubby Allan fiasco, without even considering a disastrous record (even worse this year) of injuries to key players. However, despite all that, some of us stood by Bucks, hoping that he would finally be given some stability to work with. We believed Bucks was a good coach, and given the right supportive environment, could become a great coach. This year he should be accorded the title of coach of the year, and I couldn't be happier.

All I would like is some of the anti-Bucks brigade, regardless of previous criticisms, to congratulate Bucks for his sterling effort in what he has achieved this year thus far, with the worst injury record of any team in the AFL. Surely, that's not asking too much? Rolling Eyes
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 pm

tbaker wrote:
Mossi wrote:

You forgot Chris Mayne and the massive turnaround in his fortunes and value to the team...a huge credit to Buckley and Mayne for rebuilding that broken bridge

Also Crisp is a genuine star these days - don't be surprised when he gets named in the AA squad.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Given some people have shown no ability whatsoever to offer constructive criticism on the coach or even the club in recent seasons and have simply been guided by nothing more than blind faith it's hilarious that these same people are now pumping out their chest on the back of our return to finals after 5 years like it was always a fait accompli when we were sitting at 5-10 in 2017.

If people are happy to deduce that this season is justification for Buckley's retention last year (I agree) and that he is the right man for the job moving forward (I now do) then I can only imagine people are able to concede also that the past 4 years were an example of a coach who still had much to learn and improve in as did the club as a whole.

Basically you can't have it both ways and decide that only this season provides "factual" evidence to the quality of Buckley's coaching and dismiss the concerns of the past as "opinion" not based in reality.

The real unsung hero as far as I'm concerned is Peter Murphy.

It was Murphy in my opinion who gave voice to the disillusioned Collingwood fan concerned about our continued poor on field performances and the professional standards of some employed by the club.

He had the standing within the community and courage to challenge McGuire and to McGuire's credit (and perhaps self preservation) he placated those concerns by allowing Murphy to conduct a thorough review of the football club.

At the end of his review and in stark contrast to those who continually parrot the club can do no wrong his findings lead to:

1. The removal of CEO Gary Pert and a proper process to find his successor (McGuire apparently just wanted to install Lethlean)
2. The expansion of our assistant coaching panel to support Buckley.
3. New list manager hired. Hine released from the role to concentrate solely on recruitment.
4. High performance manager replaced.
5. Position created for Nick Maxwell.

While it was always a wait and see approach and one we looked to replicate from the Richmond example of 12 months earlier it's fair to say the recommendations from Murphy and yes Walsh to retain Buckley are looking at present to be a spectacular success.

Still let's not pretend now everything was running at it's optimum in the preceding seasons and to me this year only reinforces mine and others frustration over it.

We have seen injuries used as an excuse for our lacklustre results of the past few seasons and yet we currently sit 3rd with an injury list far and away greater than any proceeding season. Injuries yes were a hindrance to not being a genuine premiership chance but top 8 I'm not so convinced.

Plenty of people were happy to lay excuses for the coach and club at the feet of Hine and the state of our list and yet here we are sitting 3rd with a long long injury list and with only 1 new recruit in Stephenson making a meaningful contribution to our ladder position in 2018.

Are people still questioning the ability of Hine now?

Yes young players will improve with experience and if enough collectively do it in one year then you can see real improvement from one season to the next but you lose experience along the way also whether by injury or retirement while others due to age aren't as good as they once were.

So is the improvement we have witnessed this season all down to the natural progression of young players or an individuals own desire to push themselves to greater heights or is it down to coaching, the refinements made to structures over the summer period, improved game day instruction or healthy player relationships.

With our injury list I doubt it all comes down to talent and with the real talent still remaining out on the field it's not all coaching either so I guess it's a little from column A, B, C and D.

For mine your perception of Buckley all comes down to how you've viewed our talent collective in a season in relation to the final result.

While others are free to disagree I'll always maintain our talent level was on par with the Western Bulldogs in 2016 and they were able to achieve what they did with a similar injury profile simply because of the influence of Beveridge and his ability to elevate them above themselves.

For me this is the first time under Buckley I've felt the same way, that we've maximised the potential contained within our list, we've got the right structures out on the field in place that are allowing this individual talent to shine through and this coupled with the overall coaching performance has elevated our position above what you could reasonably expect given the availability of players.

More than happy to grade Buckley an A+ for this season but fair to say it's taken longer than I naively expected when I supported the succession plan.

I'm guilty your honor of wavering about my initial instinct that Buckley had the ability to become a fine coach but just like 2009 as now I'll always voice a strong opinion if I believe it's in the best interests of the club and will do so ahead of any one individual within it.

Without people daring to question, Peter Murphy would have remained silent.

I wonder where that would have got us?

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:47 pm
Post subject: Re: The 2018 Nathan Buckley DebateReply with quote

MagpieBat wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Not sure why we haven't had one this year after having a part 1 and 2 in 2017?

Especially look forward to contributions from Krakouer Magic, Thompsoc and Beast, to name a few.

Not looking for a shit fight. I'm genuinely curious to see if the people, who so passionately wanted him gone, have changed their view?

And yet one is what you'll probably start. Sad. I was looking forward to an early night...

FYI, there is a reason why one of those individuals no longer frequents this establishment. And it has nothing to do with pride...

Yes, there was always potential for that but I think it's fairly subdued, so far. The fact we're coming off an impressive win and are in a great position might have something to do with it. Hmm, I'd love to know who that individual was and why? Any chance of a pm? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: