Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale Goldie McJohn

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 am
Post subject: Vale Goldie McJohnReply with quote

Recently, I received an email from the Steppenwolf fanclub informing me that the wonderful organist (John Goadsby, given the stagename "Goldie McJohn") who co-founded the band with John Kay passed away at the start of August.

Steppenwolf, even before the Beatles or the Stones, was my favourite band as a kid. I had all their records and loved Goldie's sound.

Here, from Steppenwolf's first album (1968) - the first album I ever owned - are two recordings that typify Goldie's approach to soundscapes (played, I believe on a Lowrey, rather than a Hammond) and have been favourites of mine for almost 50 years. You will know his playing, of course, from "Born to be Wild", "The Pusher" and probably "Magic Carpet Ride". These are two less-known songs, though - the first and last tracks from side 2, "Desperation" and "The Ostrich". I hope you enjoy them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6SxaQK1ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4U3D5QDZg

And from Steppenwolf 7, "Snowblind Friend, another beautiful song by Hoyt Axton - and there is a fantastic photo of Goldie on the cover (at the far right) - which shows a different side of the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxCi3ljWEg

Hard to believe that this most "American" of bands was formed by an East German refugee who sang (and still sings) like Howlin' Wolf and a bunch of Canadians. "Born to be Wild", of course, was also written by a Canadian (Dennis Edmonton, the brother of Steppenwolf's first drummer, Jerry).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of any of them, or the music (except of course, the 'born to be wild' anthem) but I googled the lyrics, ah, back in the day when songs told a story. Great stuff. Sorry for your loss, cheers. Xxx
npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Always loved the use of Hammond organ in rock - Steppenwolf, early Deep Purple, The Animals etc.
Had a couple of Steppenwolf vinyls back in the day. Including the 'For Ladies Only' album which featured the very weird 'penis mobile' in the artwork.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: